Kicked out of Rehab, now What!!?

lovemyson1

Thank you MWM! I am always optimistic in every aspect of my life and you are right, it's too early at this point. I am trying to stay guarded so that I won't be crushed if he falls.. I have learned a lot and relapse is something I am fearfully afraid of but understand the demons of addiction. Thank you for the well wishes I sincerely appreciate it! I will post as things progress..I'm so so very happy for your daughter!! What s wonderful happy ending, it gives me and others hope!

PatriotsGirl

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the peace and the hope that you are feeling. I personally believe that God can change a person. I am on my own walk with Jesus at the moment and I can tell you personally, it can change a person...praying for you always!!

Origami

LMS1, it's good to hear that your son is in a long-term program. I hope and pray that he gains some strength and determination to overcome the addiction. I know it can't be easy, but I know it's possible. So breathe a sigh of relief that he's in a safe place and has tools available to help himself!

My son seems to be OK most days. I guess he's a functional heroin addict (there's an oxymoron for you!) at this point--he still has his job, interacts with the family, does things with his kids, etc. He's gone to his court-ordered therapy and a Narcotics Anonymous meeting (also court-ordered). We're practicing guarded optimism, also.

BusynMember

Heroin addicts are functional when they are using. They tend to get sick and be not ok when they are quitting or trying to quit.

Be cautious with your hopes and heart. He needs to be able to get that stuff out of his system and that won't happen without your seeing him experiencing extreme sickness. Withdrawal is not easy and he would not be functional if quitting.

Heroin is the hardest drug to kick. It doesn't happen easily or overnight or without a lot of drama and pain for everyone involved with him. Unless he is on something like another drug that keeps the heroin affects at bay and it doesn't sound like he is doing that.

Origami

He was home for over a week with the "flu" about three weeks ago which I think was actually withdrawal. He's been through this several times since he's been living with us, so I'm familiar with the symptoms. I'm hoping this round of functionality is based on him being clean, but again, not making any bets on it.

lovemyson1

We got a letter from him and it was so touching and heart warming. He actually, FINALLY asked for forgiveness for all the hurt, chaos, stress and financial burden he has caused us. He also said, he is tired of not having purpose in his life. He said as hard as this place is, he is willing to stay until God gives him the plan for his life. I am feeling my faith build from this and trusting God to change my son and give him strength to truly give up this addiction. He's been clean 13 days today. This victory is meaningful. He's where he should be right now. I'm in a happy place. I feel this is his journey now, his decision, I have no control.. letting go is the best thing I could have done.