Kidney Pain...or flank area pain

DammitJanet

Is it possible to have kidney stones or a kidney infection without having any sort of pain with urination?

If not...what else could cause a severe gripping, cramping, stabbing pain in the left kidney flank area?

Giulia

Oh yes it is possible !!
My younger sister did two kidney infections without any pain at urination, six years ago.
The second time she had a kidney infection was in September 2010, at the same time I caught a pericarditis (so we had our fair share of serious illness).

The first time, she had only a 41°C fever (no idea in °F, but it's a very high fever, I remember she was completely unable to do anything besides staying in bed. I don't remember if she was delirious or not with such a fever, but it wouldn't be impossible). My mom thought about a gastro-enteritis, it was instead a pyelonephritis (kidney infection).

The second time, I don't remember if she had fever or not, but she did have kidney pain. It is the main symptom on kidney infections, the others may not show up in the most atypical cases. If she had fever which I am not sure, it was a low grade one, like 38°C.

So, what you say is definitely yes.

KTMom91

Gallbladder. I thought I had a kidney infection, even though I had no urination difficulty, because of the horrible pain in my back. After an ultrasound and an MRI, the ER decided it was my gallbladder.

DammitJanet

KTmom...left side? Now that I think about it...my mri did say something about duct something. I wrote it on here but I bet I couldnt find that paper again if I had to. I have no fever I know that. I didnt even have one the entire time I had the pneumonia. I rarely get a fever. That is why everyone knew I was really sick with the meningitis. When I went to 105...I was sick!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Gall bladder is on the right side. If it were the gall bladder, that is where your pain would be.

It's possible it's a severe kidney infection and or a stone causing renal spasms which the pain is somewhere in outter space when it really gets going good. I never, ever in my whole life (and I was diagnosed with kidney disease at 20), have had burning or pain on urination. It's just not a symptom I get or that I notice for whatever reason.

You need to be checked.

And I hope you start feeling better soon.

Hugs

P

PatriotsGirl

When I had gallbladder issues, I felt the pain in my back between my shoulder blades. It was awful!! Would wake me up crying. Lately I have been having pain under my sternum...i need to get it checked out but haven't had any time. :-(
Sounds like you may have a stone traveling?

DammitJanet

I have had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s before and I get the burning and painful peeing. And the having to go really often. And once before I had a kidney infection that I think is feeling something like this in the area for pain but that time I also had some pain with urination and the one hospital claimed I had PID and sent me home claiming that Tony had to have cheated on me to give me PID so we got in a HUGE fight. A lady at work told me my symptoms sounded more to her like kidney infection so I went to another hospital and they did a IVP on me and they found a raging kidney infection and that doctor was so mad at the other hospital for telling me I had PID. So was I!

I have never had a stone though. Now I can hardly stand up straight. This is exactly at my waist level so if I turn my hands around backwards and put my thumb towards my stomach and my fingers on my back...I can rub the area that hurts. And it hurts bad.

slsh

member since 1999
Janet - when I had kidney stone I had excruciating pain on one side (mine was on the right), but no blood or pain on urination. I finally decided I was dying, LOL. Honestly, I can't remember the exact position of the pain but I think it was on the side of my abdomen, about belly button level, but more like straight down from armpit or a bit more towards back? I was about 20 weeks pregnant at the time with the twins, so maybe that affected where I felt the pain?? I must have passed the stupid thing at some point, 'cuz by the time they got me in the hospital and did the IVP, nothing showed other than my ureter from the right kidney was slightly dilated. I don't remember having any pain with- urination though, during the entire episode.

The duct stuff you wrote from the MRI sounded like it is just related to your cholecystectomy (I sure *hope* you've already had your gallbladder out, LOL) - nothing to do with- kidneys.

You should definitely get check out, ASAP. Hope you're feeling better soon.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, Go to the ER. NOW.

There is NO reason to monkey around in this much pain. Stop fussing about the bills, or causing problems. GO. NOW.

If it is kidney, or if it is gallbladder, or if it is the man in the moon jumping on your back from the inside out, you are NOT going to fix it at home.

This much pain is a severe thing and MUST be investigated and treated. It will do NO good to wait until a 'more convenient' time and then end up in the hospital for a wee or with sepsis because something explodd.

PLEASE get to a hospital ASAP.

S

Signorina

Ditto what Susie says...plus you are just getting over pneumonia & you had a serious infection not long ago. Better safe than sorry.

Feel better soon.

DammitJanet

Im not worried about bills. I still have my gallbladder. I thought I had gallbladder pain several years ago, and sometimes still get pain I think is that, but they have done just about every test known to mankind to check it and they say no. It may be slush but no stones. Of course the last time that was done was about 5 years ago or so. Maybe more now.

Marguerite

I had kidney problems when I was 20. At first I had UTIs recurring, then it went to my kidneys. Once the infection was in the kidneys, the urinary symptoms often stopped but the kidney pain and fever continued. I was in so much pain I had trouble walking, and the fever was constant. The kidney is like a sponge - trying to get rid of bacteria once they get up there, is not easy.

Flank pain is part of it. I remember someone coming up behind me and gently putting their arm around my waist to comfort me, and I nearly passed out from the pain.

Mine turned out to be a congenital defect aggravating matters, but one of my sisters had similar problems a year or two later, and hers turned out to be a kidney stone which, by the time they looked for it, had moved. They didn't have to do anything more, she recovered. But it is not good to delay - I did, and it made my treatment a lot more complicated. And the urinary symptoms did also come back from time to time. You can't ignore it, you have to treat it as soon as you have problems.

Do let us know how you're getting on.

Marg

annalevis

I am having a severe pain in y kidney and also feel pain during urination. I am also having fever and through my research these are the signs of kidney pain. Can anyone tell me is there any risk to get kidney cancer if i neglect this kind of pain for more than two months as now i have consult a doctor and taking proper medicines.

annalevis

I am having a severe pain in y kidney and also feel pain during urination. I am also having fever and through my research these are the signs of kidney pain. Can anyone tell me is there any risk to get kidney cancer if i neglect this kind of pain for more than two months as now i have consult a doctor and taking proper medicines.
Is this serious ?