Kind of makes you feel sorry for the new teacher! Kind of...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
The fact that I doubt she has read K's IEP makes me NOT feel so sorry for her.

Can't wait for Tuesday- our IEP meeting.
husband stopped Ms. R after school to ask her how K did because we are not getting notes home yet... grrr. She would not have told us this story of course.

Anyway on Friday K was screaming out during math, this is right after lunch recess. (which she is not supposed to be going to but we have not had our stinking meeting yet)
She started screaming, "I don't care, I am not going to do it!". Among other things.. I guess she calmed down a bit after this. Ms. R told her later that she was not allowed to act like this during class. I didn't get the whole story like if she asked K why she did this.
She told husband blah blah blah, this was over math etc.
SO husband said well I imagine this was after lunch? "Yes", she looked blank??? "Yes" he said... He just looked at her and smiled.

He went on to tell her how we have a LOT to discuss at out IEP meeting and she would understand SO much more then... LOL
The part that makes me mad is on the way home we ask K how her day went.

We have ways to get around the, "Fine" answer from K.
She said she had a problem after lunch. Turns out she was very angry because Ms. R kept them outside in 100 plus degree heat because someone was goofing off and made them keep lining up before going into class! So K held onto this when they started their math and didn't want to do what Ms. R asked.
K was hot, upset and frustrated. She didn't understand why she got in trouble. She said the math was easy.

Hmm, teacher had no clue.

We obviously need better communication between all of us.

Marguerite

Definitely raise this at the meeting. Also express it in terms such as, "What a pity we didn't have the meeting earlier as we requested, we could have avoided this problem."

Another point - if this teacher is being so anal as to get petty over a kid not lining up properly, in that sort of heat, then how is she going to be able to handle a difficult child who needs a tad more insight and a lot less "I am the boss" controlling behaviour?

Marg

Sorry that happened to K, and that the teacher didn't think to ask "What's the matter, K?" instead of "you're not allowed to do that." The heat must have been excruciating for K.

Hopefully things will improve after the IEP when she can stay inside, and when Ms. R understands her better.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Marg raises a very important point about this teacher. I hope they are all listening when you have your meeting this week and get on the same page as you.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I do not feel sorry for the teacher. I feel sorry for you - and K - that you have to deal with this teacher for the next 10 months. I think my difficult child had only ONE teacher over the years who actually read her IEP before classes began and well before the first meeting. He was the best teacher every and I wished she could have had him for everything every year.

Best of luck. I know you already know this, but be sure to have an outline so you can touch on each issue without getting stuck, all within your 'alotted' time. I used to hate when the meeting leader would say something like, "Well, we need to wrap this up..." and I would become so frustrated until I found my voice and said something like, "Well, once we've touched on everything that I need us to go over, we can adjourn". Run the meeting, don't let them run you off. I get angry just thinking of it!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I honestly think she is a good teacher. K's teacher from last year would not have put K with someone she didn't feel was at least the best choice. Know what I mean??

I am very annoyed that that her services have yet to be started... this everyones fault. The Mrs. R has kept her from rotating yet just to wait and see how she will do with all of the chaos, this is on previous teachers request though.

We have a new Principal this year and more kids have enrolled than ever before... mostly for the Sped. Services. But I am not going to settle and let K get left out.
We have been pretty lucky and each previous teacher has met her the year before and read the IEP. Either way we ARE still looking for a Therapeutic Day School (remember there are none close to us) so this is a temporary situation.
But we are still expecting the best for her.
Tomorrow is the meeting and I am working on my outline and all of my notes etc. today... nerves are high! Our Advocate is coming as well.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I hope your meeting goes well and the teacher turns out to be better than she sounds-keeping kids out in the heat-yikes!

M

ML

Manster's teacher had him at the back! You KNOW he didn't read it yet lol. I am keeping a prayer in my heart for K, that this year she is able to flourish and bloom despite the chaos. I have total confidence in K (because I know who her *real* advocate is). Hugs, ML