Kinda New

M

ML

Hello,

I visited this site about 2 years ago when my then 6/7 year old was showing signs of being a difficult child. It took a long time to get an evaluation. We suspected everything from spectrum to bipolar. Now he is going into 3rd grade and we know that he has adhd and anxiety (Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), social, separation). I strongly suspect a mood disorder as well though they have not diagnosis him yet. My major struggles with him are his defiance and attitude. I feel like I've been raising a teen for years. What saves us is that his anxiety and shyness keep him in check at school.

I just wanted to say that it's good to be back among friends who understand the journey.

M

tiredmommy

Welcome back Michele! :smile:
Does your son take any medication, have an intervention plan or any school accommodations? How about you? Do you have any support? Our kids can zap the strength right out of us! It would be great if you could create a profile so that we can keep the basic details of your family straight.

Marguerite

Welcome back!

Have they thoroughly checked out Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in its various forms? It would cover the things you describe, including the ADHD (which they can have as well, although I'm beginning to think that Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) with ADHD-like signs is part of the spectrum). Check out the unofficial Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) questionnaire on http://www.childbrain.com and see if it feels familiar. Remember, some things attributed to autism etc as "always there" are not necessarily always there. Example - eye contact. Sociability. Language. Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). The overall summary is social inappropriateness, rather than being socially withdrawn. Coupled with other findings which can vary.

I speak from experience!

Marg

pigless

Welcome back, Michele. I also have a rising third grade teenager. Sir F. behaves beautifully in school; he only treats his family like doodoo. We're gradually raising the bar in behavior expectations for him at home. This summer, I've noticed that when he becomes angry he takes himself to his room for a cooling off period. That's progress in my book.

M

ML

I will work on my profile right away!

I took him to JFK in Denver as I suspected spectrum and they ruled it out. My sister in law's family all have different levels of spectrum (mostly aspergers) and she occasionally corresponds with Temple Grandin who believes ADHD is on the spectrum. I think so too.

Danster has the social skills of a nat lol. Meaning his anxiety and worries about what others think prevent him from having relationships. He is usually ok one on one but gets anxious with the groups. He is hypersensitive to appearing different in the slightest. If I speak to strangers in the market he gets furious for me embarassing him. Anyway, the autism evaluator said that he was too engaged, connected and social with her and that she thought he had anxiety and ADHD.

Also, he has Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and tends to over-react and is hyper sensitive. He is allergic to everything and is addicted to sugar. A constant battle to improve diet. I wish I could be a stay at home mom and prepare all the gluten free, yeast free, preservative free meals that my sister in law does. But I work full time (no choice) and managing a routine is extremely difficult as it is. I do the best I can with healthy meal preparation and read labels constantly. I would be almost afraid to completely eliminate carbs due to what I imagine would be frightening detox.

I belong to a local mom's group for kids with MI and that's been very helpful.

What I want to know is why are some of these kids so ornery? Why are they defiant and self centered? I'm raising a brat. I wonder if it's too late to turn it around. I'm just glad to be here again. I'm a bit nervous about 3rd grade as we almost didn't make it through 2nd (mostly attention and focus as well as executive functioning deficits).

Michele

Marguerite

It's not uncommon for doctors to keep insisting it's not Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), for years. I first asked the question re difficult child 1 when he was 6. He was finally diagnosis'ed Asperger's when he was 15. It has been independently confirmed.

As for the behaviour problems - I would begin with a working hypothesis of Asperger's and go from there. Get hold of "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. You sister in law might like to read it too. There is also some discussion on this in the Early Childhood forum. I also just gave some detailed examples to Beanie's mum (although thread in General). Have a look at what I wrote for her. See what you think, if it rings some sort of bell.

Marg