Kindergartner gets suspension for popper

Sheila

Chicago Sun-Times
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-kind15.html

Kindergartner gets suspension for popper

September 15, 2006

RACINE, Wis. -- A 5-year-old boy was suspended from kindergarten for popping a firework toy in school.

Quinn Lucier set off the popper -- which makes a loud sound when its string is pulled -- at Jerstad-Agerholm Elementary School on Monday, startling his teacher.

The principal, Cecilia Holley-Young, imposed the four-day suspension, telling the boy's mother the item qualified as an explosive device.

Rachel Lucier said she understood that her son shouldn't have brought the item to school but thought the punishment was too severe and plans to appeal it.

''I'm just worried, anything he does later in life, if this is going to come back to haunt him,'' she said. ''Is he going to be considered the bad boy?''

Ann Laing, an area superintendent for Racine Unified, said Holley-Young suspended the boy based on her interpretation of the district's student responsibility code.

AP

JJJ

Yep. Cause it will make everyone safer to suspend a 5 year old. He can sit next to my six year old who was suspended last year for making a toy gun out of legos while at school.

Sharon1974

When kindergartners are suspended over nonsense I get annoyed. Playing with a popper or making a toy gun out of legos (or even their fingers). When we were kids we all played "cowboys and indians". We were always pretending to shoot each other. Harmless nonsense really. They are too young to understand. Where do we draw the line?

Sara PA

There's a whole lot of common sense missing in the adults in this story. Makes you wonder who's going to teach it to the child.