Kindle - a good buy for difficult child

MICHL

husband got difficult child a Kndle a couple days ago, and he's been using it alot. Loves to use i on the 45 min bus ride to/from school too. He's reading much more with it than with regular books (which was nil), and is it's not a GAME.. So far, so good, just hope he doesn't lose it. ....now, if i could only get him to do his homework....

shellyd67

I just had a lightbulb moment from your post ! :likeit: My difficult child really dislikes reading and maybe a Kindle will encourage him ! I think I will wait until after Christmas and look for a good sale ! Glad your difficult child is enjoying his ....

H

HaoZi

Kiddo wants one because of the text to speech feature. She understands things better when she also hears them instead of just reading them, and my voice will only hold out for so long.

LittleDudesMom

Not difficult child related, but I love my ereader (B&N Nook) and I read more since getting is as well!

Don't think it would work for my difficult child but it's great to hear that your son loves it and is reading more! Especially given he has a 45 minute must ride!!

Sharon

MICHL

Well, it broke already..... Not sure how, but maybe in his backpack where he has heavy book(s). The thing really needs a hard case or cover. husband called Amazon and they are sending a replacement.

Marguerite

I saw a neoprene carry bag for laptops; maybe something similar would work for the Kindle?

Here in Australia, as part of the "let's pour as much money as possible into the economy and try to save us from the GFC," our Federal Government handed out free Lenovo laptop computers to every high school student in the country. These came in a fairly robust clear plastic shell which was a snug fit - too snug. The word came out round the schools to stop using those plastic shells because they were so tight that they were cracking laptop screens. So kids are carrying their laptops to school each day using whatever means they can. difficult child 3 uses a fairly soft computer carry bag (on those days when we go in to school - maybe once a month). The neoprene (wetsuit fabric) could be made to order yourself, especially if you are a dab hand with a sewing machine. I've seen wetsuits in poor condition for sale in op-shops, you could deconstruct an old wetsuit and stitch something to order for the kindle. Line it with bubble wrap, if he can resist the temptation to pop all the bubbles!

husband carries his laptop inside his backpack, using an old canvas bag. He uses a padded post bag too, to give it a bit of protection.

Marg

LittleDudesMom

Sorry to hear it broke already...did he just have it in his backpack without protection? Best Buy carries ereader covers (generic ones) and so does Target. I'm sure Walmart does as well. As soon as that new one arrives, get thee to the store!!!!!!

Sharon

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You can get hard leather/leatherette covers that are leather on the outside and ultrasuede on the inside. The Kindle actually has two slots on the left hand side that take the clips in the cases, plus little elastic corner bits that fith the right hand corners.

I've had my old K2 Kindle (uses whispernet not Wi-Fi) since they first came out and have used one of these cases from the beginning. Despite mine travelling many times in a suitcase or handbag, it's never broken)

I love the device