Kitteh question

mstang67chic

Going Green
This cat of mine...God love her but she's driving me batty!!!

First of all we're talking about a cat who isn't normally very affectionate. She doesn't like to be picked up and her lap time is strictly on her terms and it's not a constant thing. Here lately though, she will NOT leave us alone. No matter where you sit or for how long, she's right there wanting on your lap. I no sooner sit down at the computer and she's between my feet trying to get up. And if you don't let her up, she sits and row's until you do.

Don't get me wrong, I love my fuzzbutts but this is just so out of character for her. It's just kind of weird and I'm not sure if she's just getting soft in her old age or if there is a reason for it.

Any ideas?

meowbunny

Mine's like this, too. Hardly ever a lap kitty but lately every time I sit, she's on my lap, even when I go to the bathroom. I think it's because it is getting colder and she wants the body warmth.

If a cat is sick, they usually go and hide. Find their corner and good luck getting them out of it. But if a cat is getting affectionate, it usually isn't a cause for concern, they just decide they like something and they do it regardless of what the humans want.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It could be senility. What is more likely is that she is starting to lose one or more of her senses due to aging, and is feeling insecure as a result.

I am assuming she is otherwise physically healthy?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Pretty much. No, she can't jump as high as she used to and she's gotten a tad slower but yeah....still pretty healthy. And her lungs are fine....she has no problem letting you know if she thinks her food dish needs filled! LOL

F

flutterbee

My baby, Abbey, is not very affectionate. Hates to be held and never does lap time. She's not even really big on affection past a couple of scratches on the chin. She's content to be in the same room with me.

However, every once in a blue moon she'll decide she wants some loving. Once she even woke me up by batting me on the face with her paw to get some affection. Couple days later, back to her normal aloof self. Who knows.

witzend

L's step-grandmother was about as mean an alley cat as you would want to meet. I could go on but I won't. But, when she developed Alzheimer's, she became a sweet docile kitten. I'm just sayin'...

'Chelle

When I was a teen we got a very pretty calico kitten, and after we had her a few days when we named her we called her Loco - for a reason. This cat was wild (not mean wild) and not too affectionate. After a couple years she changed (quite suddenly it seemed to us) and became quite affectionate and calm. There could be some body/mind changes at 14 that are contributing to it, but as long as she's healthy otherwise I don't know as I'd be too worried. I guess you might just have to start showing more love, at her insistence. Always seems that way with cats, it's when they insist on it LOL.

Our two cats, one likes to lay near you, and allows pets when she's in the mood, but doesn't like to be held. Doesn't fight it, just meows the whole time she's being held. The other one likes being petted, but doesn't much cuddle, except with me and it's always between 10 - 12 at night when I'm sitting having my quiet time before bed. Then she lays on me, insists on pets, and purrs like crazy. It's quite calming before I go to bed, actually. LOL