Kitty question

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
For the last 2 or 3 days, wee's cat, a 15-ish month old male, has scratched himself raw at the base of his ears and behind them. He acts like they just itch to the point of insanity.

The only thing I can think of is mites...any other ideas? I'm going to try to get him into the vet today...the poor thing looks miserable.

donna723

Sounds like ear mites to me too. They are very easily controlled with some drops from the vet. I'm sure he will thank you because they must itch terribly.

tiredmommy

Don't be surprised if kitty gets his nails trimmed and has to wear a collar for a few days. Also, you may want to schedule ear cleanings and drops for any other kitties in the home.

crazymama30

mites. An old home remedy for mites is mineral oil (not too much) put in the ear and massaged. It smothers the mites and then they die. Mites are evil things, I have seen them under a microscope and those poor poor kitties.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
They have good ear mite medication at walmart too. I use that. Mites can make them awfully sore. If you have a dog you may want to check their ears too. Once Bruce shows signs I've found both Molly and Betsy usually get them too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd guess ear mites, but still take him to the vet as infections and the scratching can do damage to the internal structures of the ear.

An old trick with ear mite medications is to also treat the very end of the tail. Otherwise, when the mites crawl out of the ears, they get on the tail tip because so many cats sleep with that over their ears.

I wouldn't advise medicating this myself, actually, and I certainly wouldn't advise using OTC ear mite medications from Wal Mart or Farm n' Fleet, etc.

susiestar

Roll With It
Ear mites need to be checked if they are causing this kind of scratching. Cat scratch fever is a real thing caused by bacteria in the animal's nails. The cat can get infected with this from the kind of scratching you describe, just like people can.

Our vet school advises weekly ear checks, or even more often, and at the first signs of stuff in the ears that is brown they say to use either warmish mineral oil (should be just slightly cool on the wrist, not as warm as a baby bottle) or using saline solution for contacts in the ear. Rub them and wipe the liquid out so it doesn't get all over.

Do NOT use saline in the spray bottle. Only the squeeze bottle.

If mites are there you should use medications gotten from the vet.

The school does much research on stuff like this and they say that many of the home remedies can be safely used, but you must be careful.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've seen surgeries done on cats that have had repeated ear mite infections and the damage can reach all the way to the ear drum if not beyond. Plus, many cats that have mites also have a secondary bacterial or yeast infection in the ears.

If you know how (a vet can show you) there is nothing wrong with cleaning--only the parts you can see clearly--a pet's ears yourself.

Infection or parasites need vet help.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thanks.

I called the vet and he could not see kitty today, but suspects it is mites from what I described and questions he asked. I have vet-sold mite medications for the dog and he said to use that. If there's no sign of improvement by next week, I'll take him in then.

And obviusly watch for infection.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Just a small note on another possibility. This sounds like mites to me, too - but - Possum had this issue, ears and tail - and it turns out the little purrball is allergic to fragranced fabric softener.

So it could be an allergy if it's not mites. Check for the mites first, though.