knees?

muttmeister

OK, all of my medical experts on here, tell me what this is:

Last night I was sitting with my leg curled under me and I got a terrible pain in my knee and it was locked up; had a terrible time straightening it out. When I finally got it straight, there was a big pop. The problem was not in the knee itself, but in the back, kind of to the outside. Today it is stiff and sore. I had this happen a couple of times several years ago but have been doing OK till now.

Anybody know what this is? Should I put heat on it? Cold? Cut off my leg? What do you think?

DammitJanet

Doesnt hurt on the top right? Were you doing anything yesterday that could have stressed the joint?

You are old enough to be getting arthritis in your knees..I know, dont kill the messenger. Im going to say you may have pulled the anterior ligament. I think its the anterior. If so, do ice then heat. I dont like ice though so I just do heat. Ice makes me hurt worse. My major best friend is hot baths. I take lots of hot baths filled with epsom salts and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Soak for 20 minutes and then go lay down immediately to fall asleep.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I suggest ice. For me, the locking, and then the loud pop while straightening, turned out to be a torn meniscus. If this happens again, you will most likely be damaging the meniscus, either anterior or posterior or both. I injured both, and eventually had to have surgery to repair the meniscus, which led me to today...I now have osteoarthritis in my knee, along with bone spurs-yay!

Do not sit like that anymore. Do not sit Indian style, steer clear of killer heels over 2", be mindful when going up and downstairs that your knee joint is straight. Ice if it hurts or locks again. Every time it locks and you pop it back, inflammation occurs. Ice.

Sorry, I had that lock and pop for years!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ditto ice for now. And ibuprofen if you can. And if it persists, have it checked out sooner rather than later.
Another jacked up knee person, right here. Hope it's nothing!

nvts

Mine would do that - I played catcher in softball and had blown the knee out for several years. My right leg (the bad knee) was 3 inches in circumference smaller than my left - turns out my muscles had atrophied because I was favoring it.

Anyway - long story short - it turned out that I had a TON of scar tissue between the two bones and every once in a while it would float inside the joint. They went in and took out all the scarring and any damaged cartiledge and I'm running up and down the stairs - and I had the surgery in 93!

I'd get it looked at - it could be something, it could be nothing - but I haven't had an ounce of pain in almost 20 years!

Beth

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Mine would do that - I played catcher in softball and had blown the knee out for several years. My right leg (the bad knee) was 3 inches in circumference smaller than my left - turns out my muscles had atrophied because I was favoring it. Anyway - long story short - it turned out that I had a TON of scar tissue between the two bones and every once in a while it would float inside the joint. They went in and took out all the scarring and any damaged cartiledge and I'm running up and down the stairs - and I had the surgery in 93! I'd get it looked at - it could be something, it could be nothing - but I haven't had an ounce of pain in almost 20 years! Beth

Wow, Beth, I am sooooo jealous!!! My ortho guy won't go into my knee joint because even though it could use some cleaning out and he would be able to remove the two bone spurs I have, he said I don't have enough cartilage in there to support the knee joint..so I guess that means I am better off with 'stuff' in there to cushion things, even though it's constant 24 hour pain? I don't get it. I saw the mri of my knee and it's true, thin thin cartilage. I see my ortho on Friday and I may begin getting the shots of lubricant stuff for that knee. I am so not looking forward to that.

Sorry for the highjack MM. Beth is correct, it's worth it to see your Dr and make sure what's going on!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This happens to me every so often. And it hurts like the dickens. But then it resolves itself.

I don't stand still as much as I used to, and that seems to help...

susiestar

Roll With It
I know it has been more than 24 hrs, but anytime something painful with a joint happens, go with ice for 24 hours and then alternate ice and heat. Leave either one on for fifteen minutes and then off for fifteen. If it is swelling get it up above the level of your heart. This can do a LOT to keep it from swelling as bad. Knees are surprisingly delicate for as much as we depend on them and beat them up. It is better to go and get this checked out now and know if you have something that needs to be treated or repaired than to suffer through it and hope it will get better. If you suffer through there is a decent chance it will come back to haunt you in a few years.

I am sorry you are hurting!

muttmeister

Thanks, guys. It's much better today. I probably won't see the doctor unless it gets worse as there is no money for that but it really is better. I'm VERY active and I really don't want to slow down much but I've been careful not to get it in an odd position. Giving up several yoga positions for a few days. It has done this before, but not for several years. I suppose it has to do with my age. I will take care of it, but, no way am I giving up my beautiful shoes (with the 4 inch heels). Of course, when I wear them I don't walk much. I remember my aunt going to her 75th class reunion in a wheel chair but she had on her heels.:queen:Guess it runs in the family,