Knock me over with a feather

Wiped Out

Staff member
I was pleasantly shocked by something difficult child said today.

Earlier today he was being really rude and disrespectful, especially to me. Later in the morning he was laying on the couch and I was working out on the WII Fit Plus.

He said to me, "Mom you really are the best mom." Then he said, "I don't always realize it but you really are a great mom."

He just kind of said it out of the blue and didn't even ask for anything!

T

TeDo

Glad you were finally given credit where credit is due. Those out of the blue statements are usually their truth and I hold on to those statements during the worst of times.

Bask in it WO!

B

Bunny

I love when they do that. And not just the difficult children, either. It's nice to hear it from the PCs every once in a while, too.

Pam

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Wow!

Did you catch yourself pausing a moment to see if there was a follow-up question? Like "Mom, can I have....?"

How cool that there wasn't a "catch"!

Over the past months, I think your difficult child has a pattern of making intermittent, solid statements like this, which indicate some maturity and moments of clarity are occurring underneath it all. Wow Sharon.

Jo

Fran

Former desparate mom
I always got the feeling that my difficult child didn't really think of me as a person but as an entity that took care of him(self absorbed thinking). Not because he was being selfish but because his brain didn't process that part of his life on a more evolved level. It was instinctual like any mammal. There is always a food source and a source of protection and meeting of needs. It took more maturity, puberty to realize that I was a human person who didn't live to serve his needs. Again, I do not for a second think of this as a spoiled, self indulged kid. His brain and emotional maturity had not made that leap. His connection to me was a lifeline on a practical survival level. It's only as he gets older that he thanks me or appreciates me(although he isn't letting go of that lifeline because survival is instinctive) It's higher level thinking that goes past survival and looks with some emotional attachment and even affection at who a mother is and how he survived because of her.
Enjoy the light bulb moment for him. It's a good teaching moment about what you expect in return for being the lifeline that you are to him.