Lady GaGa Does The Sound of Music :O)

Scent of Cedar *

This is so beautifully done! I had no idea she could do this, and had forgotten myself what it meant to hear something this lovely performed so very well. I posted it here for all of us because this morning, I felt a burst of happiness at remembering the way GaGa sounded when she sang the word "hills."

I was making coffee, half awake, and I remembered it, just like that. A gift.

And I so enjoyed thinking about the song and the performance and the wonder of it. And it made me so happy.

And so, I posted the link for all of us.

Wishing everyone a very nice day!

Cedar

BusynMember

This was amazing. Thanks! I didn't know GaGa could do that! And all the while I was thinking of Julie Andrews, who I feel has one of the most incredible voices of all times and wondering what she was thinking, and there she was!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!

Lil

I had heard about that performance and looked this up on youtube. Amazing. Who would have thought this was the same woman who wore a dress made out of meat? :laugh:

muttmeister

I thought her performance was wonderful. Also, she's been performing jazz with Tony Bennett and they are fantastic together; they have an album and some specials including one on PBS. I've seen them appear together on talk shows and they are so cute together - kinda like a grandfather and granddaughter. It's a whole other side of her.

LittleDudesMom

I was actually nodding off during the awards and then I heard this and perked up! It was fabulous and a great tribute. I would not be surprised if she gained fans that night.

Bunny

I'm not a Lady GaGa fan, but I was amazed at her performance at the Oscars. She was wonderful, and I thought at the end, when Julie Andrews came on staged abd hugged her, was so touching.

pasajes4

Lady GAGA was trained in both classical and jazz. She had a career as a jazz singer before she took on the GAGA persona. She has a beautiful voice and is really lovely without the gaudy makeup. I am so glad that she is returning to her roots. It was a stunning performance.

svengandhi

Lady Gaga is Julliard trained and you don't get into that school unless you are amazing. She is one of my secret faves - my kids think it's a laugh that I have her music on my phone and they know, because they put it there for me.

My friend said how could they do that to Julie Andrews, making her come out there at the end? I said Julie Andrews didn't have to come out. Besides, just because Julie Andrews (sadly, horribly, unnecessarily) lost her ability to sing, does that mean that NOBODY can sing her songs while she's still alive?

Another friend said Idina Menzel was there, why didn't she sing it? Well, I read that Gaga spent six months training specially for these songs. Idina is on Broadway, maybe she didn't have the time? or the interest? Did the fact that it was Gaga and not "Adela" make any difference? It was a beautiful tribute to a talented icon and the joy in Gaga's attitude was so clear to see.

"The Sound of Music" was the first movie I ever saw in a theater and it holds a special place in my memories. This performance added to that memory for me.

Scent of Cedar *

My friend said how could they do that to Julie Andrews, making her come out there at the end? I said Julie Andrews didn't have to come out. Besides, just because Julie Andrews (sadly, horribly, unnecessarily) lost her ability to sing, does that mean that NOBODY can sing her songs while she's still alive?

If I were Julie Andrews, I would be triumphantly happy to hear that beautiful, strengthening music being made again by someone from this, younger, generation. I would be so defiantly happy that I would want to be on that stage too, giving the finger to all the badness and loving it that people in our time are hearing these beautiful things ~ maybe for the first time.

(Giving the finger?!? BAD CEDAR!)

:O)

Cedar

svengandhi

Cedar -

I am so with you on that. My 90 year old mother in law enjoys Gaga with Tony Bennett. She didn't know Gaga from Goo Goo, but she does know Tony. I told my friend that it might be that some kid who'd never heard of The Sound of Music or Julie Andrews but who watched to see Gaga or who you tubed her performance would be exposed to great music from our childhood and that they might even be inspired to check out Julie Andrews' performance. She conceded that I had a point.