Last minute jitters

Hi family,

Gosh, we have been through this sort of thing over and over and over with Aly, but today's IEP for Jayme seems much scarier to me. I am not sure why. We have fought the Special Education maze for so many years, why is it different this time around?

I think I am being naive in my thinking all that is wrong with Jayme will go away as she gets older. But she had so much prenatal damage done, how can she come away unscathed? I sooooo want to hear the words "Just a speech delay" sooooo badly for her. My mommy heart is begging for this and not something we can't "fix".

Sorry, just emotional today, waiting for the whole thing to be over with already!

Will update this evening, hopefully with a happier attitude!

Vickie

Liahona

Good luck, I understand about the nerves. I was very nervous about difficult child 1's testing review yesterday. I knew he wouldn't qualify, and didn't want him to qualify; just wanted the test results, and have been at many sp ed meetings. Yet, I was still on the computer all day Wensday calming down.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wishing your Mommy heart some good news... I feel that way about our easy child... she just keeps getting worse and showing more signs... the evaluation is looming.

Big hugs

UPDATE:

Hi again family,

Well this meeting was awesome! What a wonderful change from working with Aly's team. This is a young, dedicated, very well educated group and the meeting went so well.

Jayme qualified for Special Education services with the Primary Disability of : Speech and Language Impairment

and a Secondary disability of: Large motor skill delays

They are NOT labeling her with any thing yet other than the above. And, although she does have a few red flags for being on the spectrum, they want to re-evaluation her in a years time (or sooner if we want) to see what progress has been made and what is still jumping out at us/them as issues.

She will get 30 minutes weekly of individual speech, but speech is integrated into the entire 3 hours she is there Monday thru Thursday. She will ride the bus which will pick her up in the morning at home and then drop her off at daycare for the afternoon, at least until my back heals more.

I adore the Special Education main teacher, but she will be going on maternity leave in 2 weeks, but expects to be back the beginning of next school year.

They are requesting Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, will most likely get Occupational Therapist (OT) services started once they have her in the classroom a while and see what her delays are.

So, overall, they covered everything we are concerned about and we weren't rushed or felt pressured at all.

Whew/phew, glad that is over with and Jayme will hopefully gain alot of growth over the next few months. She will start next Wednesday, was going to be Monday but she is now home sick so we are giving her a few more days to be at her best to start.

Thanks for listening! It is wonderful knowing you guys are here when I meltdown, lol!!

Hugs,
Vickie

BusynMember

Gotta love those birhtmother's who expose their kids to substances. Anything could be wrong from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), which my neuropsychologist told me is common in kids who had pre-natal substance abuse. That ended up the problem with my son. He actually got off easy. That's all there is, and he's doing well. With all the drugs his BM took, it's a miracle that he has no symptoms of bipolar or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE). It's hard to know how this sort of prenatal "uncare" affects our poor kids. I truly wish you luck and hope you find answers early. Early intervention did wonders for my kid. He was very delayed, didn't speak until five. Now he's in 7th grade and reading at a 7th grade level and doing math at a 5th-6th grade level. He also knows how to act "typical" around other kids. My son has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah!!! Good for her and you. I hope she thrives at this school, how nice to hear.