Late Assignments - Only Partial Credit?

flutterby

Fly away!
Has anyone had this happen, where the school actually used something like that against the parent?

Yes, there are members of this board who have had children's services called on them by the school - usually as a retaliatory measure because the parent is fighting for what their child needs. In all cases, to my knowledge, the charges have been unfounded, but they still had to jump through the hoops.

The school does not have to, and won't, provide transportation to doctor appointments. That is not their responsibility. Check with whoever manages your medicaid about transportation options.

DammitJanet

I admit I havent responded to any of your threads yet or welcomed you to the board...so welcome!

I am also a bit confused about exactly what you are hoping for from the schools. If I have it correctly from what I have read in your threads, you are a single dad with two boys one of which is in middle school. You live in an area that you can bike around in to get to most needed services or reach through a bus line. (Not sure where that might be!)

Your son is what you call severely ADHD. Also seems to be some PTSD in there from abuse in the past. Have you had any psychiatric testing done to diagnose either of these diagnosis? Who gave the ADHD diagnosis? Why the "severe" label? Is that your own conclusion? Just asking. Your son is in middle school but has not had an IEP thus far, why not? 504's are not worth the paper they are written on.

I raised a very hyper ADHD child. He actually got all the way through school without any sort of formal special education plan. In the early years, Im sure we had an informal 504 on him. He had nothing in the middle school years and struggled through. During HS, he learned to charm the teachers. I just went in before school started and told them he was ADHD and was unmedicated so please let me know if anything came up that needed to be dealt with. They did.

I dont think they gave him partial credit for things turned in late. I dont remember. They may have given him so much off per day late...say 10 percent off per day late...maybe...in different classes. Dont remember much about this at all.

TerryJ2

Thank you, MWM.

They did NOT send me a notice of the meeting! I had no idea that my son should be at the meeting. When I showed up for the meeting, they were going to call in my son, only to find out he was not at school. I told them that nobody informed me that my son should be present at the meeting. Seems like this school (district?) is doing so many things wrong regarding my son ....

Oh, dear, vja. Sending hugs.

V

vja4Him

I admit I havent responded to any of your threads yet or welcomed you to the board...so welcome!

I am also a bit confused about exactly what you are hoping for from the schools. If I have it correctly from what I have read in your threads, you are a single dad with two boys one of which is in middle school. You live in an area that you can bike around in to get to most needed services or reach through a bus line. (Not sure where that might be!)

Your son is what you call severely ADHD. Also seems to be some PTSD in there from abuse in the past. Have you had any psychiatric testing done to diagnose either of these diagnosis? Who gave the ADHD diagnosis? Why the "severe" label? Is that your own conclusion? Just asking. Your son is in middle school but has not had an IEP thus far, why not? 504's are not worth the paper they are written on.

Yes, my son has been diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist, and was seeing a therapist and psychiatrist for three years. Their diagnoses does not mention severe ADHD, but after reading through the medical records, it is obvious that he has a serious case of ADHD.

My son's therapist also visited my son at the school many times. Both of is went to visit the therapist many times at their facility. My oldest son was also seeing a therapist through the same services. We also participated in a counseling service, Home Base, that came to our home for six months. Great program, highly recommended!

My youngest son has extreme difficulty with organization, paying attention, remembering things, misplacing and losing stuff, focusing, staying on task, easily distracted, easily frustrated, etc. .....

I was under the impression that we only needed a 504 Plan. My son's therapist was really good about making sure that we had a 504 Plan when my son was in the 6th grade. The school was reluctant at first, but the teacher worked very hard to make the necessary accommodations to help my son, and with some persuasiveness on my part, the school staff jumped in to offer more assistance. I was very please with the elementary school staff when my son was in the 6th grade. They really did go out of their way once the 504 Plan was in place. So I thought that was all we needed, and I was counting on each successive school to offer the same assistance to help my son.

Man, was I ever in for an unpleasant surprise ... !!!

BusynMember

You know, I'm not sure what you really want either. To get changes for your son, you're going to have to make changes in your approach to the school and so far it doesn't seem you want to. Most likely, the school won't pay for anything privately and if they do you will have to see who THEY want you to see, and the person will likely side with the school anyway.
You sort of have to be willing to change things...like really call the State Dept. of Education and get an advocate, and find a way to get your son to a private facility for testing. As it is, we do feel bad for you...trust me...but our empathy won't help your son. You do have to make changes. It sounds like they are bullying you..you need to have somebody knowledgeable at your side when you negotiate help for your child. To me it sounds like your son has more going on than severe ADHD...my daughter has ADD (not sure how severe) and on medications she is doing great. Your son sounds to me like he has other disabilities, maybe learning problems, on top of the ADHD. And they all need to be addressed and they won't be if you don't take further steps.

susiestar

Roll With It
I honestly think that you have got to stop dealing with this school as though they are on your child's side. It may or may not be logical, but the school is NOT their for your child's best interest. They are actively working to keep you from getting services and to make up the rules as they go along. Other schools may have been great. MOST will not offer many things because it costs $$. Every accommodation ends up costing $$.

The 504 plan only works when schools want it to. It is totally unenforceable. As in, if/when a teacher chooses not to follow the 504 there is NO legal recourse. The principal and school board don't have to make the teacher follow it. They are telling you that an IEP is not needed because they do not want to really do anything. Many parents here have seen this.

As for school providing transport because they are on your child's side and want the best for him - pipe dream. They are interested in educating the most kid spossible with the fewest resources possible. I know of districts where principals get unofficial rewards from the Superintendent of Schools for having the most # of kids moved OFF of IEPs. Is it legal to do this? Who knows. It sure isn't ethical, and they know this because it is carefully kept off the record. But I have seen memos about it left lying on a desk.

School will NOT provide transport to docs, etc... It really isn't their job to do so. They do provide transport to school. It will be the insurance co that provides the transport.

Many psychologists and therapists and psychiatrists have NO idea how schools/IEP/504 plans work. And don't work. It is important to learn about sp ed law in order to get what you need and enforce your child's rights.

in my opinion your son needs a very thorough evaluation. It really sounds like he may have NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) (non verbal learning disorder) and possibly other learning problems. He may have other problems than the ADHD and possible learning disorders. MOST of the people here have kids who started with an ADHD diagnosis. I estimate at least 90% of us started there. For some it was totally false, for others it was part of the truth. I cannot tell you how many difficult children who are now diagnosis'd with bipolar were diagnosis'd with only ADHD when they started here. Ditto almost any other disorder.

Just fyi, adhd is considered a part of Aspergers. At least according to every psychiatrist I have known. It is often listed as a separate diagnosis because insurance co's pay more for 2 diagnosis's than for 1. And some things that help are not covered if teh diagnosis is only Aspergers and adhd is not listed separately. The neuropsychologist my daughter sees told us that more and more the thought is that adhd is on one end of the autistc spectrum and the stereotyped autism is at the other end. Dr. J had just returned from a conference where that was a major topic of discussion.

We trust schools with our most precious resource. It comes as a HUGE shock when we realize that they have an agenda other than what is best for each child. In many cases the budget determines much of what they will do with-o being forced. We don't WANT to use force, or even use the formality that is required to enforce our kids' legal rights, because the school employees might not work with us as well. Or might take it out on our kids.

But the BEST way to protect our kids is to know the law and their rights (the child's).

You have stated several times that the school keeps telling you that your son doesn't qualify for an IEP. Have you ever sent the request for evaluation for an IEP via certified mail, return receipt requested? The timelines don't kick in unless you do that. They do run over the summer, so asking for one NOW if important. Don't let them talk you out of it.

If you go to the sp ed archives you will be able to find a general letter asking for the IEP evaluation. Just add the names where appropriate and then send it certified. Be sure to keep a copy.

Spend time reading the sp ed forum and the archives. Get a copy of Wrightslaw and/or check out www.wrightslaw.org . It is a wonderful website about Special Education rights.

Regardless of your transport, call Medi-Cal and get names of neuropsychologists and of University and Children's hospitals in your area. If you have to travel far to get to an appointment, and you will be needed there for several days, call the Ronald McDonald house. I know the one here will put parents up for several days during testing for medical AND for psychiatric and psychological testing. I haven't stayed there simply because we can drive back and forth fairly easily. Many people cannot, so I leave rooms for them. If there is no RMD house, the hospital may have some housing that is available. The hospital here that isn't near the RMD house has a hotel that was given to them for patients families to use.

There most likely will be a wait of several months to get in to see a neuropsychologist. Have his current docs fax a referral as soon as possible. Then take the soonest appointment they have and ask about the cancellation list if you think you could get there on short notice. either way, much of the waiting would be during summer if you call soon. Hopefully.

V

vja4Him

You know, I'm not sure what you really want either. To get changes for your son, you're going to have to make changes in your approach to the school and so far it doesn't seem you want to. Most likely, the school won't pay for anything privately and if they do you will have to see who THEY want you to see, and the person will likely side with the school anyway.
You sort of have to be willing to change things...like really call the State Dept. of Education and get an advocate, and find a way to get your son to a private facility for testing. As it is, we do feel bad for you...trust me...but our empathy won't help your son. You do have to make changes. It sounds like they are bullying you..you need to have somebody knowledgeable at your side when you negotiate help for your child. To me it sounds like your son has more going on than severe ADHD...my daughter has ADD (not sure how severe) and on medications she is doing great. Your son sounds to me like he has other disabilities, maybe learning problems, on top of the ADHD. And they all need to be addressed and they won't be if you don't take further steps.

I'm working on getting an advocate ... Someone should be calling me tomorrow. I can only do so much .... I don't drive and cannot afford to take a taxi to the Bay Area. Not sure if there is a children's hospital in Sacramento. Still can't afford transportation there either.

I've asked the school many times to implement various strategies and accommodations to help my son, but they seem to be unwilling. Most of the strategies and accommodations are actually listed on their own form they use for 504 Plans in their school district! Strange that they don't want to adhere to their own guidelines ....

V

vja4Him

I honestly think that you have got to stop dealing with this school as though they are on your child's side. It may or may not be logical, but the school is NOT their for your child's best interest. They are actively working to keep you from getting services and to make up the rules as they go along. Other schools may have been great. MOST will not offer many things because it costs $$. Every accommodation ends up costing $$.

The 504 plan only works when schools want it to. It is totally unenforceable. As in, if/when a teacher chooses not to follow the 504 there is NO legal recourse. The principal and school board don't have to make the teacher follow it. They are telling you that an IEP is not needed because they do not want to really do anything. Many parents here have seen this.

As for school providing transport because they are on your child's side and want the best for him - pipe dream. They are interested in educating the most kid spossible with the fewest resources possible. I know of districts where principals get unofficial rewards from the Superintendent of Schools for having the most # of kids moved OFF of IEPs. Is it legal to do this? Who knows. It sure isn't ethical, and they know this because it is carefully kept off the record. But I have seen memos about it left lying on a desk.

School will NOT provide transport to docs, etc... It really isn't their job to do so. They do provide transport to school. It will be the insurance co that provides the transport.

Many psychologists and therapists and psychiatrists have NO idea how schools/IEP/504 plans work. And don't work. It is important to learn about sp ed law in order to get what you need and enforce your child's rights.

in my opinion your son needs a very thorough evaluation. It really sounds like he may have NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) (non verbal learning disorder) and possibly other learning problems. He may have other problems than the ADHD and possible learning disorders. MOST of the people here have kids who started with an ADHD diagnosis. I estimate at least 90% of us started there. For some it was totally false, for others it was part of the truth. I cannot tell you how many difficult children who are now diagnosis'd with bipolar were diagnosis'd with only ADHD when they started here. Ditto almost any other disorder.

Just fyi, adhd is considered a part of Aspergers. At least according to every psychiatrist I have known. It is often listed as a separate diagnosis because insurance co's pay more for 2 diagnosis's than for 1. And some things that help are not covered if teh diagnosis is only Aspergers and adhd is not listed separately. The neuropsychologist my daughter sees told us that more and more the thought is that adhd is on one end of the autistc spectrum and the stereotyped autism is at the other end. Dr. J had just returned from a conference where that was a major topic of discussion.

We trust schools with our most precious resource. It comes as a HUGE shock when we realize that they have an agenda other than what is best for each child. In many cases the budget determines much of what they will do with-o being forced. We don't WANT to use force, or even use the formality that is required to enforce our kids' legal rights, because the school employees might not work with us as well. Or might take it out on our kids.

But the BEST way to protect our kids is to know the law and their rights (the child's).

You have stated several times that the school keeps telling you that your son doesn't qualify for an IEP. Have you ever sent the request for evaluation for an IEP via certified mail, return receipt requested? The timelines don't kick in unless you do that. They do run over the summer, so asking for one NOW if important. Don't let them talk you out of it.

If you go to the sp ed archives you will be able to find a general letter asking for the IEP evaluation. Just add the names where appropriate and then send it certified. Be sure to keep a copy.

Spend time reading the sp ed forum and the archives. Get a copy of Wrightslaw and/or check out www.wrightslaw.org . It is a wonderful website about Special Education rights.

Regardless of your transport, call Medi-Cal and get names of neuropsychologists and of University and Children's hospitals in your area. If you have to travel far to get to an appointment, and you will be needed there for several days, call the Ronald McDonald house. I know the one here will put parents up for several days during testing for medical AND for psychiatric and psychological testing. I haven't stayed there simply because we can drive back and forth fairly easily. Many people cannot, so I leave rooms for them. If there is no RMD house, the hospital may have some housing that is available. The hospital here that isn't near the RMD house has a hotel that was given to them for patients families to use.

There most likely will be a wait of several months to get in to see a neuropsychologist. Have his current docs fax a referral as soon as possible. Then take the soonest appointment they have and ask about the cancellation list if you think you could get there on short notice. either way, much of the waiting would be during summer if you call soon. Hopefully.

I'm on the phone with the Medi-Cal Access Team. They told me that Medi-Cal does not cover an evaluation with a neuropsychologist. They will provide an evaluation with either a licensed social worker or a psychiatric-nurse, whichever is available. They just hung up on me!

tandcg

My son's 504 plan includes an allowance to turn work in late for full credit. The school did want to specify a set number of days though. (They wanted a 1 day allowance, we were pushing for 1 week.) He's in high school.

I have always been told by our doctors that the evaluation for an IEP must be paid for by the school district, which is why you can be met with reistence when you suggest going this route. I don't know if this varies from state to state...

Good luck!!!

V

vja4Him

My son's 504 plan includes an allowance to turn work in late for full credit. The school did want to specify a set number of days though. (They wanted a 1 day allowance, we were pushing for 1 week.) He's in high school.

I have always been told by our doctors that the evaluation for an IEP must be paid for by the school district, which is why you can be met with reistence when you suggest going this route. I don't know if this varies from state to state...

Good luck!!!

I would like to push for giving my son extra time (more than one day if necessary), especially when the teachers don't give my son the make-up work promptly. If the teachers procrastinate for a week or longer, then they should give my son that much extra time. So, if the teacher takes three weeks to give my son a make-up assignment, then they need to give my son time to turn in the assignment for full credit.

I fought tooth and nail to get make-up work for my son and only got one make-up assignment for 18 days of missed school. That's pretty lame, even worse than lame ..... And now my son has failed 7th grade. largely because of the teachers and principal being negligent.

Oh well .... grades don't even matter really ... They passed my son on to the 8th grade anyways.