Late Bus

wakeupcall

Although it doesn't hurt for difficult child and I to have as much space between us as possible, his Special Education bus is running waaaay too late and I don't know what to do about it. I made a big deal about him NOT being on the regular bus because I figured if most other "boys" get into trouble on the bus, then he'd be leading the pack. SO when we did his IEP I had it put in that he ride the other bus. Now.....wouldn't ya know it, his bus gets home at 5:20!!!! The regular bus drops off at 4:30. He says there are only seven other children on his bus, so I don't know what takes so long (we only live three miles from the school), except that his bus picks up from several schools. That school system is going to croak if I call an ARD meeting just to change the bus accommodations. Am I wrong in thinking this doesn't work? WHEN he has homework it'll be worse than ever.

AllStressedOut

If it were me, I'd be as happy as a pig in slop, but I definitely understand the homework struggle. I'm not sure what I'd do about it all though. I would probably ask for a change, but I ask for the moon when it comes to my kids. Thats why I erk people often, because I expect people to take care of my kids the way I would. In their minds they are taking care of my kids the same way they are taking care of the other kids. Typically that isn't enough for me. Sorry, I'm rambling, its early and I'm tired. I hope you come up with a good solution.

If it were me, I'd be doing the happy dance. :dance:

Sheila

I think this may be one of those minor adjustments to an IEP that could be handled by agreement between parent and sd without a full-blown IEP meeting.

nvts

We went through that. We have a medical limited travel time for both boys (although difficult child 2's hasn't gotten onto his iep STILL - since APRIL!!).

difficult child 1's is for ADHD. If he's on the bus for more than an hour, he'll go absolutely ballistic when he gets home.

difficult child 2's is for asthma. The longer he sits on a bus, the more likely he will have an attack.

It was added to the IEP's so that the NYC Dept. of Ed. wouldn't send them to east oshkosh and back before they could get home.

Beth

wakeupcall

Ya know....I hate to be a real you-know-what to the admin. of my son's new intermediate school, but this bus stuff is NOT going to fly! NOW I find out that he's picked up here at 8:15 AM and isn't arriving at school till 9:20 AM which means he's 20 min. LATE FOR SCHOOL EACH DAY!! What??????? So with 1 1/2 hours on the bus AFTER school and an hour on it in the morning, he's spending 2 1/2 hours a day on the stupid bus!! ARG!!!!!! NOT!