Latent difficult child, Drug addict, or Failure to Launch?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
*snicker*

OK, yeah, I see your point... However, he is an adult. LOL!

Looking sweet will help... But if you get sent for a psychiatric evaluation, it may make you look like a pushover, too.

I had a psychologist that the court ordered husband et al to see? Say that he was narcissistic and I was a doormat that NEVER did anything for myself.

Ohhhhkayyyy.

possumholler

Well he has moved out. I bought him a bunch of "starting out stuff" and is gone. It is bittersweet, but it had to be done. Hopefully life will teach him the lessons I could not.

possumholler

It has been close to a week now and he has not run out of money--his paycheck was small last time, so I predict he will run out of money about Wednesday of next week and I have some shrub-trimming that needs to be done at my mom's house (the landscapers charge about $300 to do it). I will pay him $100--although he does a more thorough job! I don't have a problem letting him earn extra money to get by. So far he hasn't touched his savings account. And YIPPEEE--today will be the last day I see the counselor who was helping me come up with a parenting plan to get him to move out---I am so excited about not having to pay the co-payment for that every week. I'm sure we will have setbacks, but he has made it a week without blowing all his money on stupidity.

He is coming to stay the night tonight to help me pick up my car at the repair shop--at 7 am. I think we will have a much better relationship now. So far so good.

Last edited:

KFld

Sounds like you have made a lot of great decisions despite what the therapist said. Good for you!! Even though you are doing great and seem to be holding it together, you should see if you can find a parent alanon group in your area, because once he runs out of money, he will be begging to come back at one point or another and you need to keep up your strength and be prepared with how you will react to that day. All alanon groups have the same principals, but to me, sitting in a room with a group of parents who have dealt with the same thing that I did was so much better then a group of people dealing with spouses, etc. It's just not the same!

possumholler

UPDATE--he has been gone for over a month now. I did "the right thing" and got him starter things like food basics, laundry detergent, gave him my most ancient towels, etc. and so far has been doing fairly well. He has finally asked for more hours at work, they gave him just enough to fall 2 hours below full time status (welcome to the REAL world!). His contribution to the living arrangements is the electric bill, since he doesn't really have an actual room--it is a loft. I HAD to laugh when I asked him if he went around turning the lights off that his roommates had left on. He replied with and emphatic "YES!" He pretty much stays at his apartment "to save money"--chuckle again....I knew he was going to run out of money last paycheck, so I offered him a few jobs around the house so he could earn money. I also paid him to chauffer my mother to a hair appointment (not an easy task). So hopefully sometime he will realize that he needs to go back to school, but until then, I am enjoying the fact that so far he is making it out in the world. Something that my husband never had to do...

possumholler

Also have seen a mediator about getting the ball rolling on what is supposedly a marriage. I just hope I can save my younger son (17) before he also completely takes after his father. I live in fear that they will give him a choice of who he wants to live with and my son will choose my husband becasue he doesn't have to do anything. So far (in 2 weeks) I have re-taught him to take out the trash, put his cups and glasses in the sink (and wash them), feed and water the dog, put his dirty clothes in the laundry, and hang up his towel. All things he used to know how to do. I also give him an allowance because he has "official" chores.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Do not live in fear he will choose your husband. If he does... His loss. You have been doing your best, Know what I mean??

And you might be surprised. I think... No, I know... Even with all the koi, O respects me far more than she ever did her bio. Why? Structure. I tried.

possumholler

I spoke too soon, he was doing so well. He got pulled over in the parking lot of a gas station and they said that he looked "nervous" and searched his car. Of course they found a small amount of marijuana and a pipe, so he is screwed--this is his second offense--he did a pretrial diversion on the first one, so that is not an option. He is the stupidest (not to mention unluckiest) kid on earth. He gets pulled over for the stupidest things--the last time was for having the plug wrapped around his trailer hitch (tag obstruction)--he is frequently profiled for his car a beat-up SUV, so you would think he would not be dumb enough to have anything in it. My nice, peaceful, proudness was so short-lived. He is being booked next week and he is going to get a public defender--they say the PDs are good in this county. Hopefully he will learn from this, I just hope it hurts him, but not ruins his life. He was finally working full time and about to get benefits. I could cry.

S

Signorina

Hi Possum - I was not here yet when you posted this originally - but I just read the whole thread. I have a 19 yo difficult child who is on the same path as your difficult child. He too was a varsity athlete in HS who seemed to fall apart his first year away at school. I think you (and the subsequent posters) make a very valid point about the structure creating the opportunity to be goal driven.

I just want to say - go ahead and cry. I do every day. It's not a sign of weakness or anything else. I'd cry too. You sound like a great mom, and I know how frustrating it is to end up "here" after thinking you had successfully gotten your child to launch. Life was supposed to get easier when they graduated HS - not harder and messier. {{{huggs}}}

Our stories are so parallel that it scares me a bit. My long story short, my difficult child finished his first year away at college with a 2.2 (saved by a W in lieu of an F) came home stoned his first night home, spent the entire summer amotivated, snide, partying with his friends culminating in renting an off campus apartment (without our knowledge , he likely intended to pretend to live in the parental paid dorms)Like you, I even did the Big Lots trip to outfit the new apartment - complete with snacks! A few days before he was to leave, I spied an internet purchase of a large quantity of rolling papers, a grinder, scale, etc. We asked him to stay home, regroup , go to school locally etc - stating we couldn't support a return to school knowing what he was smoking weed. And he left. Went back to school and intends to support himself and pay his tuition and living expenses g-d knows how. I know the phonecall in the middle of the night will come, just don't know when and only hope it's his voice on the other end.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I"m sorry possum. Unfortunately this is sort of par for the course with our difficult children, it can be a real rollercoaster of getting our hopes up for change when things are looking up, only to watch them fall over and over again. I know I've learned to be cautious even when things are going well for mine, because I never know what tomorrow may bring. Sadly, I've gotten used to the ride.

Remember these are his choices, as are the consequences. It won't ruin his life unless he lets it. I hope he learns from this as well; sometimes a "crisis" is what is needed to spur true change.

AHF

There should be a club of us with varsity-athlete sons who fall apart after HS. I just picked mine up from being thrown out for the third time by an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) because he slept all day and wouldn't go to groups. So that's three colleges, three hospitalizations, 3 RTCs. And yes, the doctors will tell you what they tell me--that "hitting bottom" for such self-destructive man-boys can mean suicide, that unless I'm ready to attend his funeral, I have to remain there for him. Having a weak father is a key problem, I agree. My ex has been chronically un- or underemployed, so neither of my kids has had the benefit of a positive father figure. Now we stronger parents are being asked to take up both the traditional roles--of the stern, rule-setting father, and the compassionate, forgiving mom. I constantly declare that I will leave Peter Pan on the street, and the next thing you know I'm driving him somewhere else or letting him back into the house. Makes me feel like a fraud as well as a failure. So I have no solutions but plenty of empathy. PM me if you want to talk more.

possumholler

He finally went in to the Public Defenders office this morning--he is being booked tomorrow. Duh--plenty of time for them to prepare everything. He got his hair cut (it normally looks like a giant shrub) and looked like an upstanding citizen for once. His problem is stupidity--he thinks he is smart enough to get away with these things and he lacks the "street smarts" to do it. I have a friend whose kids goes around stoned all the time--to the point of hardly being able to walk, but knows how to drive so that he doesn't get pulled over. I will go with my son when he is booked. To his credit, he has done this so far on his own, he needs to know somebody is in his corner and after all is said and done, he is still my kid (I don't know how to turn that part off). I am hoping that he gets more than a slap on the wrist, but not so much that he loses his job and if he decides to go back to college, he can get some funding. In his favor, he is a likable kid and he is given a lot of breaks, but it doesn't do much to help him learn anything from it. When this happened before his probation officer let him have an extra drug test because he had failed the 2 that were court-ordered. SO that is what I am dealing with--a very unlucky, likable kid who doesn't learn a lesson. He has been given too many breaks by the system, so he doesn't fear losing his license or anything like that. He doesn't connive to be charming or anything--in fact he is not really charming, just a normal kid that thinks he leads a charmed life. Very frustrating to say the least, he has even gotten a very good Public Defender--they are good in the county I live in.