Lateral thinking

Malika

We were going for a walk today, when J suddenly piped up with the following musing (please forgive the five-year-old crudity): "Burping is farting in another language!" Which I thought was rather ingenious...

Malika

Children's thinking is so playful - catch it while it flies! Last night, J said to me with a perfectly straight face: "Mummy, will you go and kill something for my dinner?" If we happened to live in the stone age, I would have replied with an assenting grunt and gone off to prepare my spear.

DammitJanet

I think that is perfectly little boy behavior...well maybe even perfectly age appropriate behavior. Kids from about 3 and a half through maybe 6ish find that bodily functions are the funniest things on earth. Boys can take it even later. Keyana is surrounded by boys and farting is talked about. Her older brother is almost 3 years older than she is. She would laugh and laugh when she farted. We had to teach her that girls pooted and boys farted. So then she would giggle and say...I pooted. I will be glad when that stage passes. She burps on command too. This is my kid who competes in beauty pageants...lol. She knows when to turn it off so its not a problem, its just a stage.

buddy

It was supposed to stop at 6??? oh my, I'm in trouble, LOL.

Horsies had to do their business today while riding and that lead to many many pee pee and poo poo "jokes"....

and yes, burps and farts ARE a whole 'nother language!

DammitJanet

I said that stuff normally stops being the only subject matter of their jokes and they move on to other types of things...not that they forget it at all....lol. Little boys especially. Lord, they never outgrow it.

Malika

To be fair, in J's case - credit where credit is due! - he doesn't seem particularly obsessed with bodily functions. But then that is doubtless because French children, being abnormally well-behaved, are not obsessive about them :)