Latest twist of events

P

PatriotsGirl

So, the "rehab" calls me yesterday and tells me they are discharging her. She was not participating, kept saying she didn't have a problem, could stop any time she wanted and did not need to be there (hello, isn't that was ALL addicts say???). Rehabs will not take her unless she wants to be there. So, I did the only other thing I could think to do. I picked her up from the hospital and drove her straight to the airport and flew her up to my mother's. Now I know she is not doing drugs, she is not dead somewhere and I won't get another phone call from her wanting to come home strung out to crash. My brother picked her up from the airport and had a heart to heart with her. He has been clean and sober for three and a half years so he was the perfect person to pick her up!!! He told me this morning that she had opened up to him and she was happy to be up there and away from the people she was with down here. She knew she needed to get away from the life she was living. I even let her bring her doggie and my mother is just thrilled to have her back. I am going to miss her really bad, but I am not going to miss watching her kill herself. I am not going to miss worrying if she is alive or dead somewhere. This was the only thing I could think to do to save her life.
I have a friend that runs a substance abuse program up there and he is willing to take her if she wants to go. I am hoping she makes the choice to go.

Thank God for family and friends!!! Had I brought her home, it would have been a short matter of time before she was using again. I think I did the right thing.

T

TeDo

It sounds like the perfect solution. Getting her away from the environment is a wonderful idea. As long as she still has someone to talk to and that will be there for her will help. Your brother sounds like the perfect "mentor" for her. Good for you PG. I am so happy for both of you. Kudos :D

P

PatriotsGirl

Oh, ALL of our family is up there so she is surrounded with love :). I do know that she was already making plans to spend some time with her cousin this weekend, who has two children of her own and grew out of the difficult child phase. I am hopeful. It's going to be really hard when I go up there next month to refuse to bring her back with us, but she can't be here. It would be entirely selfish of me to allow her to come back. I pray this is what it takes to get her out of this awful downward spiral she was in!

BusynMember

I think my daughter quit because we sent her out of state to live with her brother. She needed to be away from the druggies she'd befriended as they don't let you go quietly. They harass you. I think in many instances it is the ONLY solution. My daughter didn't even need a rehab once she was away from her drug friends. She just quit. Good luck to her :)

P

PatriotsGirl

MW Mom - thank you!!!!!!!!! That truly gives me hope and reaffirms that I did the absolute right thing!!!

BusynMember

Sometimes when I see hopeless stories of children who are drug addicted, I want to tell them that it's so much easier for somebody to quit if they are away from their friends (I use that word losely). My daughter WANTED to quit, but many times when she did, her "friends" would come after her and push her and push her and push her to get them drugs then to use them with them (misery loves company). She would give in because she would actually feel threatened if she didn't. Unfortunately, not everyone has a place to send their child so I don't usually recommend doing the "send them away" bit. If there is nowhere to send them, there isn't.

A kid who doesn't want to quit can find bad friends in a new setting, but a child who has any inkling of quitting in my opinion has a far better chance to make it in a new setting. It is sick how badly somebody is attacked when he/she tries to go straight. I wish your daughter all the luck in the world. Keep us posted. Remember, she may slide once or twice, but now she can start over if that's what she wants to do. in my opinion you absolutely did the right thing.