Lawyer called...good news!!!

B

bran155

I just got a call from my daughter's lawyer. I am so excited and relieved!!! She is one of the lawyer's that have appeared in court for my daughter. The only one that ever calls me back. She has been on vacation for 2 weeks, just came back and looked through my daughter's file. She said she just wanted to see if I was okay and keep me updated. LOVE HER!!!!

Anyway she and I talked at length. My daughter's case will be transferred to the new court, it's actually called Youth Court. It is designed to help kids get back on track, not just throw them in jail. She said that the DA does agree that Jail is not the right place for my daughter but he does not want to let her out as she will flee once again. Smart guy!!! She will remain in jail until they find a better PLACEMENT!!!! So excited and grateful that they want to place her. We will be assigned new social workers that work for this Youth Court. I explained to Ellen, (lawyer's name) that the ideal placement would be a lockdown treatment center that has DBT therapy. Ellen agrees that my daughter (I'll call her "B", it's much easier), needs to be in treatment. She says that Youth Court is willing and able to find the appropriate placement for her. In the meantime she will stay in jail to ensure her safety. Ellen also mentioned Mental Health Court. B will only qualify for that court if the DA keeps the Felony charge. Ellen says that the DA does not want my daughter to have a Felony on her record. Wow, I am blown away at the sympathy we are getting from the court system!!! B does not know how lucky she is!!!!!!!!!! As of right now we do not have a court date as the proper paperwork is still pending. I don't care how long it takes. I am just so happy that B will be getting, yet another shot at life!!!! Ellen says that the woman who runs the Youth Court is amazing, very knowledgeable and sympathetic to the mentally ill. She says that this new court will be more hands on and specific to my daughter's needs. I am so overwhelmed that I just want to do back flips!!!! I am like a little kid, running around my house with excitement!!!!

I don't like the fact that B is in jail however, I feel a lot better about it knowing that there is a plan for her. That this is just a means to an end makes me feel so much better about her being in an orange jumpsuit!!! lol I am so grateful to all of the "systems" we have been a part of. I have heard such horror stories and I feel so blessed that I can only report good things. We have been so lucky. Everyone involved has always had my daughter's best interest in mind. It's as though a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders!!! I have hope again!!! I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. I am not going to live on cloud nine and think just because B will be placed yet again, that our problems are over. I know that is not the case. I am a bit jaded as I have been through this many, many times. I am still of the mindset that the only way my daughther will make any progress is if she wants to. But hey, more treatment can't hurt - right? Maybe, just maybe something will sink in this time around. Who knows. I am praying for a program with DBT therapy. Everything I have read about it is so promising. That is what was recommended from day one with the Borderline diagnosis. Keeping all of my bodily extensions crossed!!!! lol

Thanks for listening. I am sorry that I have been monopolizing the boards again.

Shawna :)

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
Here in my state they will do everything they can to keep any felonies off minor's records. (so they're saying) They really do try to rehabilitate don't they? Glad Ellen is working for your daughter and I sure hope all goes well for her.

Nancy

That is truly wonderful news Shawna. I know you are realistic and realize that this still isn't going to be easy, but you deserve to feel good that your daughter is going to get the help she needs. And you're right, she doesn't know how lucky she is.

Nancy

artana

That is great news. I'm glad they are going to try to help her rehabilitate rather than just throwing her in jail! I'm sure it will still be a slow process, but hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

jbrain

I am so happy, Shawna! I'm proud of our state at this moment! I've been reading in our papers about the new approach our state will be taking with people who have a dual diagnosis--treating both substance abuse and mental health issues at the same time.

You must be so relieved! When my difficult child was in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) out in Utah they used DBT--she was diagnosed with mood disorder-not otherwise specified with borderline traits. She responded very well to it. Even though she later relapsed I can see that she does use skills she learned there. She no longer flies into a rage, can think in a more logical manner now. She was able to recognize that she often views things in a skewed way and can accept other viewpoints now.

AnnMarie,
I'm not sure who would pay for it. In our case our dtr was court ordered to treatment back when she was 17 and we had to pay for it though there was a sliding scale. She was receiving survivor benefits from social security at the time and those were used to pay for the treatment. Also, even though she was court ordered to treatment, the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) had no obligation to keep her there. In fact, we had to go get her, she was causing such havoc there once she got her ged. She had decided she was done and refused to cooperate with them.

Jane

DDD

I'm genuinely delighted to read your post and know that your State has taken a path backed by research and science...not emotion, like mine.
What a relief it must be for you to have an attorney you trust as well as a program that sounds appropriate Congrats! DDD

'Chelle

This sounds like good news. Hope they can find a program for her that will help her have that lightbulb moment and realize the good things she can have out of life if she works toward them.

Bran, I am so happy for you and your difficult child!!! You are such an insporaion in detatchment and look what happened, exactly what was supppossed to without tons of intervention on your part. WOW!!!! YOur difficult child and mine share a lot in common and as you know I am being warrior mom tyring to get her the treatment she needs. She has until April 3 to not have court involvement and her charges (adult criminal) will be dropped. It has not been easy. You have been a great support to me and I hope I can give a bit back kto you. Compassion

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Those are well-deserved backflips! And you're right, B has NO idea how lucky she is: to have you on her side, to have an understanding and sympathetic court system, to have so many people in her corner despite her behavior that would understandably push them away. I hope the pieces all fall into place for her. Maybe not today, but SOME day she will realize the mountains that were moved for her. That is a hope worth holding out for... :D

Ropefree

Banned
Shawna: Thank god! I am always looking to see what is new with you and it is a
happy day today!
You deserve to have some grace and it is no doubt part of the pleasure of working in service that keeps the lawyers and judges and police and probation offices from going stark raving nuts!
The only hope in this life is that over time we people get better at helping each other to cope. Being mentally aflicted is not in itsself a crime. And it is for our own good that teaching to learn to cope without harm to self and others is the first priority.
Getting into a situation that will motivate your daughter to do what she needs to be doing to live a healthful lifestyle has been all work and no joy for you lately.
I hope that for now the sunshine boy will have a really great life for a change without the drama drama drama and his parents overwhelmed with worries.
She did this to herself and she had other options so just relax and live your life well. She has chances and she can take those and bloom. It is all about her now, and it is on her. my fingers are crossed . Cyber wishes for well like ness.

B

bran155

You guys are AMAZING!!!! Thank you to each and every one of you who posted and have been following my crazy life. I would not be where I am emotionally if it not for all of you!!! I truly mean that.

I am proud to be a New Yorker as well Jane!!!!

I will keep you all posted.

God bless.

Shawna :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have had your daughter in my thoughts on and off all week for the last couple of weeks. I'm very glad to hear that she's not going to just be a number or statistic. There seems to be some people left in the world that care enough to help.

Mark me down as greatful she's going to get help, that you seem in a better place and that there is an angel of an attorney that actually picks up the phone and RETURNS a call.

Hugs

B

bran155

Thank you so much for your support and concern.

BBK: I wish that I could actually do a back flip!!! lol

Star: Thank you thinking of us. Your thoughts are much appreciated. :)