LDM - Pulled Pork Recipe

jal

Sharon,

Your recipe on the Fri morning thread gave me a hankering! I've always wanted to make pulled pork. I am an adventurous cook, but for no known reason I never have tried it. The shoulder is in the brine right now and I am dying to have it for dinner tomorrow. Thank you for sharing! I may hit you up for your Chinese version too!

LittleDudesMom

jal,

my house smelled so good yesterday! I cooked it yesterday to serve today. Only thing, I made a tad of a "boo boo" on mine. I didn't read my spice jars as I was making a TRIPLE batch of the rub - I used HOT chili powder AND Cayenne pepper. When I pulled it last night I took a bite and said, "Oh, hot!"

Now I like mine spicy, but I prefer to allow folks to add their own heat. So mine had a lot of juice still - I poured off the fat, took the juice, combined it with equal parts of water and the added some brown sugar. I took that mixture and poor it over the already-pulled pork and popped it in the fridge. I will reheat it on a really low heat this afternoon. I just finished prepping all the condiments for dinner. We like sautéed onions, brown rice, black beans, lettuce, salsa and cheese on mine. I also make a sauce with fat free sour cream mixed with minced fresh jalapeno (not as hot as the pickled), minced read onion, and cumin.

The best thing about this is that it seems to get better with "age". It freezes great and I usually cook it the day before. Glad I did this time since it was a tad on the hot side!

Let me go ahead and give you the chinese bbq receipe -

4 pound pork roast
1/2 C soy sauce (I always use light because of the sodium)
1/2 C hoisin sauce
6 T ketchup
6 T honey
2 t chinese 5 spice powder
2 t garlic powder (or 6 cloves minced - I used fresh)

Trim any visible fat from the roast (as opposed to the pulled pork!!!) and plop in your crock pot (at least a 4/5 quarter). Sprinkle 5 spice directly on pork, top with the ketchup and honey, pour in soy and hoisin and add garlic.

Cover and cook on low about 8 hours or so or until the pork shreds easily with a fork.

I took the roast out (which I actually cut in two pieces) and shredded it on a cutting board and then added it back into the crock for about 30 minutes before we ate.

You can serve this over brown rice but it is absolutely fabulous served over fresh shredded green cabbage! As the cabbage wilted and warmed it got better! Serve with a nice cooling salad. I did a salad with mandarin oranges, slice green onion, chinese noodles and ginger sesame dressing.

Definitely a keeper. I think I like this one better than the pulled pork actually.

Let me know how your pulled pork turns out.

Sharon

jal

Thank you for the recipe Sharon. I'll let you know how it comes out. I'm about to pop it in the oven!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I make a similar recipe, but I used PUSHED pork........I just push the pan over to DF and say "HERE......you do it." and voila - :winnersmiley:

jal

LOVED IT!!!

Moist, tender and so flavorful. difficult child was eating right out of the pan as I was shredding it. Everyone enjoyed it so. Thank you again for sharing it. I am definately making the chinese version too!

LittleDudesMom

jal,

glad to hear your family loved it. Funny, but as I was pulling it Saturday night, difficult child was eating it as well!!

Don't forget it freezes well too.

Sharon