Learning to be Frugal. What do YOU do?

keista

OK...are you ready for slightly bizarre? Replace panty liners with white socks. I started that this year and it has saved alot of money. Obviously you never run out as they go in the washing machine. Strange but creative and cheap. DDD

Love the idea, but never understood the point of daily pantyliners. That time of month? Sadly not an option for me.

However, for those that decide to go this route, oxyclean works WAY better than bleach AND does not degrade the fabric, so in the long run it's much cheaper. Also safe on colors for "serious" leakage to outer clothes. I'd be broke buying new pants, undies, sheets every month if it weren't for oxyclean.

DDD

My Mother's generation used cloths monthly. Just for the sake of history it was called "being on the rag". Thank heavens that wasn't necessary for my generation. BUT alot people wear mini pads for minor bladder control problems and in warmer climates because the body sweats which results in damp panties. The thin mini pads tend to get damp and kinda curl a bit. The dampness can result in irritation. Small socks absorb moisture and stay in place...plus save money. It's weird but it works frugally, lol. DDD

DammitJanet

I can understand that for the dampness DDD, not the period stuff but I do remember the old cloth wash rags for being on the period. My mother actually made me use them at times. And when I first moved out on my own and was dirt poor, it was the only thing I could afford. It was that for me or diapers for the kids. Guess which one I chose? I would rather my kids have diapers.

Now I wish they would figure something out for depends. Socks just dont cut it for that!

susiestar

Roll With It
For cheese NOTHING beats Sam's prices. $11 for a 5 lb bag of grated cheddar, mozzarella or jack cheese, about that for a big 5 lb block of cheese, but the blocks may only come in cheddar. We were going to mostly have to give up cheese because it is so expensive but when I found out how cheap it is at Sams we actually buy more. I also buy tortilla chips there - a six pound box for about $7-$8 sure beats even the store brand 12 oz for $1.59.

If you want something cheaper for periods, check out something called the keeper. It is a rubber cup you insert and it will hold all the fluids for hours. Periodically you go into a bathroom, empty it, rinse it out and re-use it. NOT for me, but I know women who love it because it is a one time expense and doesn't contribute to landfills. One of the top pad/tampon companies has come out with a version of this that you throw away, I saw a video about it but can't remember which company. Supposedly is it more comfortable and leaks far less and is more secure for sports but it isn't something that I would have tried. I also am thankful that I no longer have to deal with periods.

As for oxyclean, it is a hydrogen peroxide based product and I find applying peroxide straight to the stains and then using a bit of dawn dishsoap to the stain works as well or better. It is super helpful to either have your peroxide in a spray bottle or to have the safety seal intact on the bottle with a small hole poked in it so you don't get as much out at a time.

DammitJanet

I have used hydrogen peroxide on clothes with blood stains but I love oxyclean for getting out stains from kid stuff. Nothing works on Tony's nasty construction worker shirts and pants. LOL. Those are just goners. I wash them to keep them smelling clean but dirt and stains stay. Or should I say he washes them...lol. I have tried every type of washing product out there. We buy the cheapest shirts we can find...normally Goodwill. And trust me, no one would want the leftovers from them.