Lemon Laws in Virginia?

tinamarie1

Hi all...my husband bought a 3 year old truck when we first arrived in Virginia. He bought it from a dealership and we paid $7,000 down and they financed the difference. This has only been exactly 30 days ago when we purchased it. Within the first 2 weeks, the truck broke down and we were stranded. It spent almost 2 more weeks in the shop being fixed, not because it took that long to fix, but because it was put in the order it was recieved and they took their sweet time fixing it. It was the fuel pump.
So, we have had the truck back for about 3 days now and the check engine light is on! aggggggggggggg!
The dealership put us in a rental car the first go around, but im not sure if they will do the same again. Not only that but husband has to go to the base pass office to get a temp sticker for the rental car every time.
This is really aggravating! oh by the way, the truck is still under warranty, and we purchased an extended warranty too, so thats not an issue. Its just the aggravation. I ordered a carfax report and there are no bad things listed on it.
Can you just drive the vehicle back to the dealership, hand them the keys and say here you keep the piece of Sh(*? And will they give us our $7,000 back? and how does the finance company view this?

TerryJ2

I'm not sure... except that it IS under warranty. I think the Lemon Law was devised for people who change their minds within the 1st 48 hrs, when they discover a true lemon.
I understand the aggravation. Good luck.

meowbunny

Yes,Virginia, there is a lemon law. http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/state_laws/virginia.htm

Mainly, a car will be declared a lemon if, within an 18-month period, the following occurs:

"The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;

The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity continues to exist; or

The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters."

So, it sounds like you may have to wait a bit more, but you may have a case.

It would not hurt to try.

As far as repairs go, yours will ALWAYS be last in line if it is warranty work. Why should they rush to fix something that they are not getting cash for?

It stinks, but that's how it goes.