lessons about driving and life on Oprah

ctmom05

<span style='font-family: Times New Roman'>This information should mean a lot to families,
those in the transportation industry, everybody
who drives…and everybody else that I didn’t
mention.

There is not a lot to say before you visit these
links. These reports are real, I saw them on
Oprah on Friday June 1, 2007. In fact, seeing
what I saw, is what made me sit down at my
computer as soon as the show ended and send
this e-mail out. Please feel free to forward it
on to others.

One is about a topic often explored, but not
presented in the way it was this time, drunk
driving.View the material that goes along with
this link and think about it after. If you do, you
will never, ever be able to see drunk driving in
the same light again.
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200706/20070601/slide_20070601_284_101.jhtml

The other report was on the same show and
is also about driving. I would call it “The
Anatomy of a True Accident.” It is just as
devastating as DUI, but for different reasons.
It is about guilt.
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200706/20070601/slide_20070601_284_111.jhtml

The third report is about learning from your
own experience and turning something devastating
into support that can be shared and can help
others who are dying inside. It is also about driving.
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200706/20070601/slide_20070601_284_114.jhtml

</span>

KFld

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, how are things going with you these days?? I don't think I've seen an update in awhile, unless I've missed something. Hopefully no news is great news :smile:

tinamarie1

Wow...those are truely tramatic stories. Especially the one where the mom was holding her baby girl's head at the scene of the accident. How people find the strength to go on after something like that just amazes me. But I am so thankful they do go on.

Reader's Digest also ran an article not long ago about backover accidents. This topic could use more publicity. I know I used to hop in the car and back out without checking first all the time. Now after reading the RD article and this one I am trying to train myself to always walk around the back first. I don't always remember but I'd say 9 times out of 10 I do. Still, that tenth time could be a tragedy. It was taught in driver's ed. to always walk around the back, but it's one of those lessons that you just forget unless it's driven home.

I bet I know the drunk driver's thoughts. He feels bad about the people who were killed when he thinks about them, but that's rare. He doesn't really feel like it's his fault, because he didn't set out to kill anyone. Yeah, it was wrong of him to be out plastered and all, but why should he have to do time for murder? That won't bring them back. It's not fair that he's the one being made an example of -- there were probably millions of people partying and driving that night, but it's his bad luck to hit a limo with a kid in it and get locked up.

Why does it seem like the drunk driver who caused the wreck always comes through fine while the innocent victims are killed or maimed?

Our difficult child had .18 blood alcohol when she got her DUI. Thank God no one was killed by her. Until recently she still had a sense of persecution over her arrest. Someone saw her swerving and phoned her in. She had pulled over before the arresting officer arrived, so he did not observe her driving the car. A few times she said something about fighting the charge on the basis of him not having probable cause (I argued that the report phoned in gave him probable cause, and she would lose, which she deserved to, since she was as guilty as she could be.)

When I drank, like Mikey's son (see Teens/SA), I considered myself "smarter than the average drunk" and avoided driving under the influence. But falling asleep at the wheel is one I've come close to being guilty of. Driving all night, pushing to have more time at my destination. I've caught myself nodding and my vision doubling, and rolled down the window and turned up the radio, stopped for more coffee, and pushed on. Never again. It's as wrong as driving drunk, knowing you're impaired and a danger to others. What if I'd drifted off and drifted into oncoming traffic, and a little girl like Katie died? I'd be as guilty as Martin Heidgen (though likely more remorseful).

Thanks for the reminder ctmom.

'Chelle

I knew a woman, 33 years old, two kids under 5. We'd just been at a meeting together. Half an hour later she was walking her dog and a drunk driver swerved and hit her, killing her right away. It wasn't his first DUI nor even his second, and he didn't have a license as it had been pulled. I'm not much of a drinker, maybe have one or two drinks per year, but never drink and drive and don't let anyone I'm with do it either. The cost is way too high for the innocent.

I totally agree, ALL cars should have the blow in device to start it, not just after a first offence. And all cars should have a back up alarm, especially all SUVs, vans & trucks. There are so many safety devices that should be standard, but manufacturers don't want to add to the price or eat into their profits any.

ctmom05

<span style='font-family: Times New Roman'> Karen,

If you are talking about my health, the update is that I am still enjoying a strong partial remission from non hodgkins lymphoma, Your question is timely, I am having a routine CT scan this week, which will be just that, followed by a visit with my oncologist,

I have to say that the publicity that went along Elizabeth Edwards recurrence of breast cancer did a great deal to promote, in a positive way, the idea that some cancers, while serious, can be treated and retreated; 2006 was my second time around the track.

My family is doing well. I always like to describe the situation a "relative stability" and I bet I don't have to explain what that means.

Our youngest(19), who is so clinically involved, is about to graduate from highschool. That is a major YAHOO, it didn't go down easy.

The middlest turned 21 over this past weekend and is living on her own. She's done that before and we are hoping she manages a little better this time - <span style='font-size: 8pt'>I think she can, I think she can, I think she can</span>

Our oldest has been doing what he has always wanted to do for the past 4 years or so, working at a radio station, or should I say, various radio stations. He is one for seizing the opportunity and has lived in several states. His new iron in the fire is a possibility in Pago Pago, of all places.

My husband is still his adorable self. Thanks for thinking of us, Karen.</span>