Let school psychiatric talk with- other psychiatric??

lovemychocolate

I'm trying to get information/reports/test results that my son took with- a private psychiatric. I left a vm for the guy and havne't heard back from him. The school psychiatric. wants me to sign a waiver so she can talk with- him directly to get the information. (She is going to administer tests to my son and says she can't duplicate what's been done with him as this will scewer the results--is this true?)

Is there some way that I can assure that I get all the info. they share?

I'm po'd this guy hasnt' called me. Part of why we stopped seeing him. Would you sign this waiver? Am I being to suspect in this situation?

WWD?

Thanks.

Superpsy

As a school psychiatric I would say go ahead and sign it...what your school psychiatric told you was true. Results can be skewed if you give the same test too soon after. For example, I stopped testing a student after 5 minutes because she said, "Oh, I just did this test! My parents took me to this doctor..." Messes up results...wished the parents had told me (they told the principal and he didn't think it was important to mention) but they didn't and so I gave another test.

This situation is really your call and depends on how much you trust the school psychiatric to share everything he/she is told/receives with you. If you want to have control of the situation I would continue to call and get the information directly from the other psychiatric. That is the only way to ensure you get all the information the school will receive.

Another thing to note is that sometimes "professionals" respond more quickly to similar professionals. For example, when a parent is given a run-around by a doctor/therapist/psychiatric I usually have the parents sign a release and make the calls for them. Typically a call from me will hurry things along...sorry for the delay and hang-up.

klmno

I would recommend not signing- at least until you have a copy of all evaluations and test results in hand- and then you could give the school psychiatric a copy and he/she wouldn't need a release form- they would already have info that was needed. There does seem to be something wrong about the psychiatric not giving you a copy of results and evaluations already. Were these done very recently? If they were only done a week or two ago, the report might not be completed yet. It took a month or maybe a little longer to get my son's report. But, I was given a copy and had a meeting with the psychiatric so she could go over it with me face to face.

Last edited:

slsh

member since 1999
Another vote for not signing waiver. You don't know what is in the reports/testing. Get the reports yourself, review them, and share what you feel comfortable sharing with the school psychiatric.

The fact that you're asking the question in the first place makes me think you're not comfortable with a waiver so... follow your gut.

Having read my son's psychiatric reports, I'm so glad I'm a control freak. There is information in there that has absolutely nothing to do with education and has no business being a part of his permanent school record. Once the information is released, you can't unring the bell.

Just my opinion.

svengandhi

It is true that taking the test again within too short a period of time can skew the results. We learned that with my oldest when he had a test as part of a law suit we had pending and then the school used the same test a couple of months later as part of his tri-ennial. The school psychiatric called and said my son was reciting the questions in order for her (memory was never his issue). They had to give him a completely different battery of tests for the tri-ennial. I also gave her access to the testing done for the law suit.

I have shared info from my private doctors with the SD, although not with every school psychiatric. One that I didn't trust I didn't give anything and then when she would say something, I would respond that that wasn't what my REAL doctor said. I hated her.

However, the doctor is right that the results won't be correct.

Sheila

Sorry, I wouldn't sign it either.

The school of hard knocks taught me not to allow sd personnel cut me out of the picture. All conversations with-our private professionals must be a conference calll between sd, proffessional and mom.

JJJ

I wouldn't sign either. Most school professionals are woefully ignorant of mental health issues -- even staff that is otherwise wonderful. I did sign a release for the outside autism testing we are doing but never for true mental health issues. I've seen too many mental health professionals screw up their reports and even the best report is often not relevant to school. (Superspy -- I'm sure there are other school psychs like you that really get it, but none that I have personally met although the school pysch that has been with our family for 9 years now is coming close :) )

Superpsy

(Superspy -- I'm sure there are other school psychs like you that really get it, but none that I have personally met although the school pysch that has been with our family for 9 years now is coming close :) )

Yea, we just have very different perspectives. I’ve asked parents to sign releases numerous times and have never been told no. I think I would be surprised if a parent told me no :D . I understand that most on this board have had horrible times with their school districts so I understand the need to cover yourself and don’t let go of information that you don’t need to; school districts have done nothing to earn your trust. I just see a professional trying to do his/her job.

klmno

I don't want to hijack the thread, but sometimes it isn't the school psychiatric that I'm worried about. Sometimes it's that when that person has finished reading whatever the evaluation or report is, it gets stuck in difficult child's file where anyone at school can read it. Many people at the sd are simply not qualified, experienced, or knowledgable enough to know how to handle that info in an appropriate fashion. Many decide they know a better way to "cure" difficult child once they think they understand the problem. Many refuse to believe the info and will punish difficult child more. Many discuss it with others when other students are around and can hear the info. I have fought thru all those situations and my heart goes out to my son and other difficult child's for having to deal with situations like that at school.

Also, I've taught my son that he should never be ashamed to talk to a therapist and when he does, that what he says should be in confidence unless he's about to hurt himself or others. There is NO WAY that I'm going to sign a release that allows a therapist to share what my difficult child has told them in confidence to the sd. Sorry- "ain't happening". There have been too many administartors, teachers, etc that have thought they could do better than therapist and try to discuss personal issues with difficult child. First, not only are tthey not qualified to give him adequate therapy and they don't know enough about difficult child's history to understand how he's taking all they say, but it sends difficult child the message that he really can't trust his therapist not to "blab his business to everyone in his school".

Sheila

I understand that most on this board have had horrible times with their school districts
You're absolutely correct. By the time the majority of parents ends up on this board, they've realized that something isn't right with-the things at their district.

I've wondered also if you've been offended by comments on the board. You seem like a level-headed, caring schpsy.

Most professionals that have popped in over the years do get offended and leave. I hate it because we can learn from each other.

One of the best things any professional can do in my opinion is to seek information other than that pushed by the professional organizations they belong to. That way one doesn't get tunnel vision. I found it worked well for me anyway. lol

And school district's are real big on "policy;" limiting special education workshops to only what they want general educators to know. in my opinion, a lot of problems between educators and parents arise because educators believe "policy" trumps Federal and State rules and regulations or "policy" is all that's being taught.

klmno

That's exactly right, Sheila. For instance, our policy manual at difficult child's sd states the ED is typically kids with behavior problems and implies that this means they need behavior modification. It doesn't list that they might need any other supports or that sometimes a kid could be suicidal, etc. It leaves a completely different impression than what IDEA is trying to convey. But reading that did help me understand that these teachers aren't all ignorant- this is just what they've been taught here.

If you were seeing a psychiatrist and therapist, would you sign release forms for open communication between them and your employer, knowing that when your employer was finished with the info, it would go straight into a file where everyone where you work could pick it up and read it?

Superpsy

I think klmno raises a good point that confidentiality among different professionals varies widely.

Sheila, I've never been offended by comments anyone has made. I know it's not personal and I often have no idea about past history. I can see where others may be offended but I have learned so much from reading on this board and it's helped remind me of laws/techniques and give me some good ideas. I will admit that sometimes I do have to take a deep breath and try to see the situation from a poster's perspective. But I do that in life too! :D

Thanks for the kind words. I try to advocate as best I can.

lovemychocolate

:faint:

There are massive mistakes in it. Did he mix up my child with another when he wrote this? He wrote that my son has had violent episodes against me; has severe disrupted sleep issues; prone to excitablity in the evenings--these are just SOME of the inaccuracies--IT'S INCORRECT. My son has issues, but not these.

I'm still waiting on the actual test results which he wrote should be coming. What do I do with this clincial psycholigal report? At the end he included diagnostic impression that read:

Axis I: AD/HD; combined type (This was never a concern with- our son)
ODD (probablly)
Learning disorder not otherwise specified (huh?)
mood disorder not otherwise spec. (huh?)
Rule out bipolar or cyclothmyic disorder (no)
rule out Autistic spectrum disorder ; aspergers (we think so)

Axis II None

Axis III Good Physical health

Axis IV Significant adjustment difficulties to rountine life events at home, school

Axis V Global assessment of functioning: 50 (what is this??)

Do I want the school to see this part?

I need input please. Thanks for anything.

I'm dumbstruck about what to do. Do I tell the school that the report is inaccurate and I won't submit it?

Last edited:

Superpsy

As I see it you may just want to respond to the school psychiatric's questions about what tests your son was given. There is no need for them to see a report that is inaccurate.

Global Assessment of Functioning is just what I like to call a "summary number." The DSM-IV-TR (psychiatric manual) has a scale that runs from 0-100 that allows clinicians to estimate a person's level of functioning (adaptability, social & psychological functioning). My DSM is not close-by but I think 50 is at the higher functioning end of the moderate symptom/impairment range...that is if he used the Children's Global Assessment Scale.

Sheila

ditto superpsy

I'd want the report corrected. I'd send a letter to the report writer to that effect and politely point out known errors.