Let's share meal ideas for easy, satisfying meals

Salad: half a bag of lettuce
an avacado
some cold shrimp(Sams sells 3 pound bags fairly cheap)
small handful of cheddar cheese
hot or mild salsa as the dressing

I know the avacoado has some calories, but I was so full- I couldn't finish

My breakfast this morning:
Lettuce
cold calalmari rings(frozen food section of seafood dept)rings
(they cook for 30 seconds)
cut up veggies
fat free balsamic vinegar dressing

One of my favorite salads is one that a local restaurant serves often in nice weather. It is really easy to make and really good.

I buy baby spinach and add sliced strawberries, blueberries, chicken either baked or grilled, cut into strips, (leftovers are great for this), slivered almonds or walnuts, and mozzarella cheese. Serve it with either raspberry viniagrette or balsamic viniagrette dressing. (Please ignore my pathetic spelling!)

You can get creative and make lots of variations of this salad - For example, you can substitute turkey for chicken, leave out the strawberries, blueberries and add a sprinkling of dried cherries or cranberries, etc...

I really enjoy mixing veggies, fruits, chicken or turkey into my salads. I find that these combos are really satisfying too - Especially if you eat a low cal high fiber tortilla or a whole grain roll or piece of bread with them. WFEN

trinityroyal

This is a staple I rely on in the hot weather.

"Fridge Cleaner" Salad:
1) 2 heads of lettuce
Usu. I use Red Leaf lettuce and/or Romaine, but any kind will do. Or you can add spinach

2) Finely chopped vegetables
Whatever you have in the fridge
I usually have carrots, broccoli, cauliflowers, bell peppers, corn, sometimes green peas. If you like them, finely chopped beets go well too.

3) Grated cheese
Again, whatever you have in the fridge

4) Some sort of protein
Shrimp, grilled chicken, turkey, even thinly sliced beef works

5) Optional ingredients
Raisins, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, slivered almonds...whatever you have around.

I usually use low-fat balsamic vinaigrette or roasted red pepper dressing with this. Something tangy and a bit tart, to balance the strong flavours of all the vegetables and the meat.

I make a batch of this on the weekend, and parcel it into small containers to throw into lunch bags, or as a side dish with dinner. By changing the dressing flavour it makes a whole new salad.

Also, because of all the stuff in it, it's very filling and stays with you for hours. Normally after a salad I'm hungry again in about 20 minutes, but because of all the protein (cheese, seeds or nuts, meat or seafood) this salad keeps me full for hours.

Trinity

trinityroyal

I also make "Fridge Cleaner" Soup.
Whatever you have around goes in the pot.

4 litres of chicken stock (I use the Campbells low sodium)
cooked chicken or shrimp
onions
whatever vegetables you have on hand, coarsely or finely chopped (depends on how you like your soup)
rice noodles (they're light and have a lower GI rating than wheat noodles). If you prefer, you can add rice grains.

Throw everything in a giant pot.
Bring it to a rolling boil, then let it simmer for hours. Once the vegetables have softened, the soup is ready to eat. But it tastes better when the flavours have had a chance to blend for a while.

It's a great way to use up fresh vegetables that are a bit "past it" but not spoiled yet. You can also use frozen vegetables if that's what you have in your pantry.

It's low cal, very filling, and because the vegetable water is part of the soup, you're not losing any of the vitamins in the cooking.

Trinity

LittleDudesMom

easy child and I had a great satisfying meal last night. We took 2 salmon filets and marinated them in garlic and lime juice for the afternoon.

When we were ready to eat, we chopped up a big package of portebellas and set them in a large saute pan with pam, garlic, salt, pepper and worchester sauce. In another pan, at the same time, we sprayed a little pam and put the salmon filets in to saute with 1T of light marg and a little more garlic and lime juice. Both items were just "set them to cook and leave" kinda items.

While that as cooking, we sliced a tomatoe, purple onion, and artichoke hearts (not marinated!) and made a sliced side salad with a little pepper and balsamic viniger. We only touched the salmon one time to turn half way through. We stirred the mushrooms about 4 times.

The entire meal was only 6 points on the WW plan and three servings of vegetables. It was delicious, took 20 minutes, and definately satisfying.

Sharon

STILLjustamom

4 cups chopped fresh (and washed) spinach
1 small container ricotta cheese (you can use low fat or no fat)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
fettucine (you can use any pasta or whole wheat pasta)
black pepper
garlic powder
mushrooms (optional)
Saute chopped spinach in a little margarine, butter or olive oil, as you prefer. When wilted, lower heat and add ricotta and parmesan cheese. You can also add in a can of mushrooms at this point or saute fresh mushrooms with the spinach.
Add black pepper and garlic to taste. Heat and stir until blended and heated through. Use as a topping for cooked fettucine. Very quick, nutritious and yummy!

SRL

I rarely buy from the frozen foods aisle but something I do like are frozen perogi's. I get Mrs. T's brand, potato and cheddar. I like them plain--3 are 180 calories and enough to fill me up and stick. With a salad or fruit it's an easy, satisfying meal without going overboard.

trinityroyal

husband came up with a great recipe tonight.

I attempted to make meat loaf for the first time this weekend. I over-drained the ground beef, so it was very dry and crumbly, more like taco filling than meatloaf.

husband took the ground beef, mixed it with mushrooms, green peppers, chopped onions and tomato sauce. (I added a sprinkle of cottage cheese and some salsa to mine...tasted like chili, but without the beans )

Low fat, follows the GI diet, and very filling.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Df made venison meat loaf. It's a lot leaner than ground beef, and he added Salsa -

I don't like venison but it was honestly the best meat loaf I've ever eaten.

If anyone takes frozen dinners to work or anything, the new Healthy Choice steam ones are pretty good. The food is not all soggy.

I had a salad for dinner tonight (this is huge, folks) with lettuce, some corn, madarin oranges from a can, fresh blackberries, a small handful of cashews and that spray on dressing. The Asian sesame ginger. I could not finish it, and it's not like I made it huge.

Fran

Former desparate mom
SRL, I love Mrs.T pierogies. Reminds me of my hometown. My son's ate these every week as a staple. Almost as much as macaroni and cheese.

Nomatic, another recipe for angel food cake is cut up into serving pieces, place on a plate. Make sugar free pudding(I use butterscotch) Pour it over the cake. Cut up kiwi, strawberries and blueberries. Before serving, pour the fruit on. It's colorful, easy and healthy. It got me through some serious dessert cravings.

SaraT

My families favorite meal is Stroganoff Sandwiches. I know the name sounds fattening, but it can be lean just by changing the hamburger to ground turkey, the chedder cheese to low fat cheese of your choice, adding which ever veggie topping you like, and using lowfat sour cream. Sorry, can do anything about the french bread(although sourdough works also).

A loaf of french bread(halved and toasted under broiler, butter or not as you wish)

1 lb hamburger(ground turkey, pork, etc will work)

1 small(8oz) tub sour cream(low fat works fine)

green onion, diced to brown with meat.(can leave out)

Any veggie you want to top it,(we usually use tomato and green pepper)

Shredded cheese(kind is your choice)(I usually get one or two bags of already shredded depending on how many I am feeding)

Brown meat and green onions, drain and add sour cream. Set aside.

Brown bread and butter(optional)

Top the french bread with the meat mixture, veggies, and cheese. Broil until cheese is just melted.

Enjoy with fruit, a salad, or low fat cottage cheese.

The best part of this meal is each person can tailor their sandwich to their taste. Stops meal fights in their tracks. :wink:

smallworld

Here's a tasty tuna recipe that I've been making for healthy lunches (from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook):

2 tablespoons raisins
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
20 small green alives, pitted and halved
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (6-ounce) can water-packed solid white tuna, drained
4 (6-inch) fat-free flour tortillas

In a small blowl, soak the raisins in hot water to cover until soft and plumpbed, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding the water.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the celery, bell pepper and garlic until soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the raisins, olives, vinegar, capers and red pepper; simmer until the liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tuna and cook, stirring gently, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.

Divide and tuna mixture among the toritillas. Fold up to enclose the filling.

You can also mix everything together cold and eat as a salad.

Enjoy!