Let's swap pet stories!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I am so loving this thread. Thank you so much for adding your stories.

This is what I go through every night:

Miss Molly joined the family after my beloved Brandy died. My :smile:heart dog Katie :flower: (12 at the time) was so bereft after Brandy died that she laid down on the kitchen floor that summer and only moved to eat, relieve herself and go to bed. She lost her spark.

Enter Molly...who was simply the WORST PUPPY EVER BORN.

Truly. :smile:

She was destructive and she BIT US :nonono: .

And she drove my perfect heart dog Katie NUTS! :smile:

We took her to dog school and she continued to act up and she still drove sweet PERFECT Katie up the wall.

Truly. :smile:

So now Miss Molly is 14 and enter baby Chloe. And Chloe ADORES HER OLDER SISTERS and wants to be IN THEIR FACES AT ALL TIMES...just like Molly was when she was a baby.

And every night I remind Molly that "what goes around, comes around."

:smile: :rofl: :smile: :hammer:

Suz

donna723

Kathy, it must have been a very strange feeling to watch your car rolling out of the parking lot!

Ms. Magnolia ... not to be gross or anything, but has your vet checked your dog to see if the anal glands need to be emptied? That's usually why they do the bootie-scooting on the carpet kinda thing. Of course, why a dog would choose to only do this on Sunday morning when the Nascar races are on is beyond me! Maybe he just likes the "sound effects"! :cool:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe he just likes the "sound effects"! </div></div>

No way am I going to ask "sound effects from where?" :surprise:

:rofl:

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Kathy, it must have been a very strange feeling to watch your car rolling out of the parking lot!</div></div>

I'd describe it more as a helpless sinking feeling. I knew I couldn't get to it in time to stop it so all I could do was watch.

It's funny. . . now.

~Kathy

Marguerite

A favourite author of mine from years ago is James Herriot, who wrote stories about his life as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales. Hilarious stuff.

I grew up on a small farm and we had a lot of funny stories. I've written a number of them down - more to go. I even did some in bush verse, mainly because there was a competition at the time...

My brother saved up for ages and bought a horse. It was almost 18 hands high, a retired racehorse. My brother couldn't afford a saddle but soon learned he had to get hold of one, somewhere - it hurts when you fall off an 18 hand horse. He'd been walking the horse along the shale farm track and the horse suddenly decided to gallop, at full racing speed. As my brother sailed past the side gate he was heard yelling, "How do I stop this thi-i-i-i-ng?" The horse then saw the cattle grid across the track - and stopped. My brother didn't.
His best friend, whose family was wealthy, had a fancy little pony. Young, fit, agile. He reckoned his expensive, young pony could beat an old, broken-down race horse any day. But he never could - they used to race together almost every weekend, with the pony left choking in the dust.

We kept a small number of sheep. When we first turned them out into the paddock, the grass was knee-high. Our small dog was only half that height, she would disappear in the grass. She had to jump up and look at the top of each jump, to see where the sheep were, and then make her way in that direction. It was sort of, "Where are the sheep? Where are the sheep? There they are..." then the sheep would be suddenly startled by a small brown dog appearing from nowhere.
Once I had a poddy lamb it was much easier - I would stand at the gate of the pen and call my pet lamb and she would run to me, the rest of the flock following.

My sister had a white cat that thought it was a dog. He would sit when you told him to, he would come when called, he would 'heel'. And he would go hunting rabbits every day. A white cat - and yet he caught a rabbit, almost every single day. If a dog tried to chase him, he would just turn and stare at the dog. A couple of times he chose to go up a fence because a dog was chasing him but he would just sit at the top of the fence and stare down at the dog, as if thinking, "What ARE you?"
He went missing one day. He'd been gone overnight occasionally, but this time we didn't see him for days. A week passed and then there he was - perched on the post of the barbed wire fence over the road. Beyond this fence stretched the paddocks of long-deserted fields full of blackberry bushes. These were a favourite rabbitting place for this cat.
My sister called him, but he wouldn't come. He just miaowed at her, so she walked over the road to see - and found he was stuck. His foot was caught in a rabbit trap (of the man-trap variety). The trap had a chain on one end of it, and the end of the chain had a foot-long spike which clearly had been driven fully into the ground. This large nail was now tangled in the barbed wire of the fence. The cat had caught his foot in the trap probably days earlier, finally managed to pull up the nail then dragged the trap home, still on his foot. He was only defeated by the trap tangling.
The vet had to amputate two toes of the cat's foot. The damage, plus the days of no treatment while he was missing, had resulted in gangrene setting in.
One tough cat! But he knew that if he could only get home, someone would help him. One smart cat!

Then there's the dog that could climb fences and let herself off the chain...

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donna723</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That's usually why they do the bootie-scooting on the carpet kinda thing. :cool: </div></div>

We call this the "Chuck Berry" at our house - all our pup needs is a little guitar in her paws.

Hoping not to take this thread to all new low, lol, but even though our male dog was neutered, he still managed to 'relieve' himself every morning in our bedroom doorway - as if to simply show us he could. While my H was cheering for the old man, I'd be throwing things at him to make him stop. It was horrifying and hilarious all at the same time! I remember praying that he'd stop before the girls came out of their rooms in the morning. My God.

Nancy

My funny dog story...

A couple years ago I took my shih-tzu Lizzy on Sat urday errands as usual. I stopped at the car washand started vacuuming out the car. At some point I noticed Lizzy was gone :smile:.

I started calling her name louder and louder, all the time realizing we were on the main road and if she tried toget across she probably wouldn't make it.

I was frantic :crying: and wondered how I was going to explain this to the girls when I looked up and saw a lady walking from the diner next door carry Lizzy in her arms. She explained she was watching out the window and saw this dog jump from the car and head straight for the diner so she went out and picked her up. I was so grateful :whew: and couldn't figure out how she got out until I realized all four car doors were wide open :hammer:.

Nancy

donna723

You really should get a video of that and send it in to the TV show! Engines revvin' on the TV and he's scooting in circles around the floor! Is that the only time he does that? The only time mine watch TV is if there's a dog on there!

:rofl:

My Ragan seems to know what day it is too. I live across the street from a church parking lot and the only way she can see it is if I pick her up so she can see out the kitchen window. She LOVES to watch the "church people" pulling into the parking lot and getting out of their cars. Starting very early on Sunday mornings she's begging me to pick her up so she can look out - and I have to keep telling her, "Not yet!" Then, when they start pulling in, I pick her up and let her have a good look. We repeat this process on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights! So how does she know what day it is????

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
We have three dogs and two cats in our house. They are quite a combination however they work as a team together. When husband and I bought our house we had no idea of the mice we had. They were evil. One day the mice who kept stealing the dog food started throwing it at me threw the old ceiling tiles. I declared war and we got some kittens. I was patient. By the time they were a few monthes old they were hunting. I would find presents waiting to be flushed. One morning I got out of bed and I saw our rott/lab mix at one end of the hall, our doxie at the other. As I moved closer I saw one of the cats just outside the bathroom. The other cat I could not see (we didn't have our rescue poodle yet then). The next thing I know the cat I couldn't see came running out of the bathroom chasing a mouse. The dogs and other cat were ready. The rott/lab got it. I stood there shaking my head. My husband had come up and I hadn't noticed him I was so intent on watching the scene in front of me and he said what a team I thought cats and dogs weren't supposed to like each other. I was so glad he had seen it too because I know if I had been the only one no one would have believed me.

They all curl up together and clean each other now. I laugh when I see it. They made their own pack.

Beth

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
A cat's canine teeth are perfectly designed to fit the notch where a mouse's spine meets the skull: a perfect killing bite.

Years back husband and I took the plunge and got a persian kitten to go with the two moggies. She was quite flat faced and had an underbite so her teeth didn't line up right.

To our astonishment, this gorgeous ball of cream and grey fur turned out to be a phenomenal mouser...except...she couldn't actually kill one due to her teeth being misaligned.

One night we heard an awful thumping and scrabbling from under the sink. The other cats gathered around. Here came Sheba with a struggling mouse in her mouth. To our surprise, she tossed it to Wolf, who killed it with one bite and then pushed it back to her.

Sheba then proceeded to crunch up her mouse while the two older cats who had taught her to hunt looked on proudly.

gottaloveem

My dog Lucky learned how to open the refrigerator. I can't tell you how many times I have come home from work, or some place else to find broken dishes and containers strewn across the floor.

We got a baby lock on the door. Sometimes we leave and forget to lock it.

This morning, I was trying to make D his lunch for football practice, I went to the meat drawer to get the turkey and it was gone, along with the corn dogs. She got the meat drawer open. :smile: She got in the fridge yesterday when D went out to sell cards for football, he forgot to lock the door. When I got home, D told me that she got the raspberries. We didn't know about the lunchmeat and corn dogs till this morning.

God, what a pig. I think she would eat till she explodes.

I guess this qualifies for difficult child status.