letting your child sleep after manic episode

Jena

good morning everyone,

so i had a question as i sit here.......... difficult child finally crashed last night. she fell asleep by 10:30 which is for us a miracle. she's been going strong for 3 weeks now, with minimal sleep at night (3-5 hours) then going all day.....

so it looks like she's come down, can i let her sleep? i mean her bodies got to be exhausted and the prozac this weekend i'm sure didn't help. yet it's time to go to school and she's out cold. i wnat to just let her catch up on her sleep. i pulled her up all year last year.

what would you do? i'm not saying keep her home, just let her sleep tilll she awakens on her own give her breakfast adn then bring her in.

smallworld

I would have no problem letting her sleep for "mental health" reasons. However, if you let her sleep late this morning, will she have trouble falling asleep tonight? She needs, most of all, to get back into a regular sleep-wake pattern. Can you be in touch with the psychiatrist today about how to accomplish that (possibly with the right medications)?

Jena

hi,

yes i'm going to put a call into him today without a doubt. yes i am open to his suggestions and i am going to trust him and stick with this dr. till we figure it out. boyfriend and i were just saying last night how we have never seen her go this long before. yet with the start of school and anxiety and excitement and mixed emotions over that she flew.

strange thing is last year at this time she was doing great in school, no problems at all no anxiety no nurse visits no panic attacks. it was her first year in this school and she was great until november last year when she crashed again and it's been a struggle since then for her. so strange how it can be all good one minute then the next a mess.

i'm not going to let her sleep too late, yet that never seems to affect her. if she's in a down i call it she can lay around all day watch movies then hit the bed by 9 no problem. yet if she's the way she's been on that high nothing you do seems to matter.

busywend

Go with your instincts on this one. If you feel it is in her best interest to sleep in a bit, then by all means do it. I would not hesitate to do this if you believe in it.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Last year we let K sleep whenever her body needed it. Not having a problem this year! Sigh... not a lot of sleeping in!

Jena

hi,

i forgot i wrote this lol........yes i have decided i'm going to go against the school and let her sleep within reason when she requires it until we get medication in place.

i thought day before falling asleep by earlier would do it, yet yesterday she was back up again and dancing till almost 1 am. last night didn't fall asleep till around 2 a.m. then ate breakfast at 6:30 a.m. dancing singing again then boom, crashed taht was at about 7:30 a.m. she is still sleeping it's almost 12 in afternoon.

her crash finally came, thank goodness. she'd been riding high for almost a mos. school didn't agree with me letting her sleep i said sorry i'll get doctors note but after what she's put her body through she's sleeping.

so k is up this year alot, manic??

they diagnosis mine with bipolar not otherwise specified last night, and anxiety disorder which i totally knew, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), adhd, and tourettes. gets tiring after a while...........lol.......

witzend

I think that you know what is best for her, and trying letting her sleep is certainly a reasonable thing to try. Does she have trouble sleeping when she's not manic or hypomanic? Has she had a sleep study? (Difficult at that age, I know.)

In your own defense, I don't know that I would tell the school that I was letting her sleep because of her hypomania from a previous period of time. Until you can get a better idea of how this will help, and more info from the psychiatrist, can you just tell them that she wasn't feeling well? It feels like they may want to put her needing to sleep down as a "mom problem" rather than a difficult child issue.