Licorice and valerian

pepperidge

I was talking to the psychiatrist yesterday about improving my children's immune system. He mentioned licorice, (also vitamin C and B5). has anyone tried licorice?

He also mentioned Valerian might help my child who is a restless sleep prone to talking and some nightmares. Anyone tried that?

Thanks!
Chris

I do not use licorice but have heard that it is supposed to boost interferon in the body, thus helping keep viruses at bay.
Valerian is a very soothing herb. I have used it occasionally for sleep.

cmdh

Dont know much about those but wanted to share... difficult child is on an immuno booster Colostrum Gold

She started a bunch of stuff all at the same time so I can't say that her overall health improvement is due specifically to the CG. All I know is that now she gets sick less often and her colds etc are less severe than most kids.

I just received this info on licorice in an email:
Herb of the Month - Licorice (gan cao)
Licorice is a plant originally grown in central Europe, but now found all across Europe and Asia. Aside from its medicinal properties, it has been used to flavor foods for centuries. Today, licorice remains one of the most important herbs in traditional Chinese medicine.

The two most important components of licorice are glychrrhizin and flavonoids. Glycyrrhizin works as an anti-inflammatory and antiviral and inhibits the breakdown of cortisol. Licorice flavonoids are powerful antioxidants; they work to protect liver cells and help digestive tract cells heal. In addition to its use as a flavoring, licorice has traditionally been employed to sooth coughs and sore throats; coat the digestive and urinary tracts; and treat various conditions ranging from diabetes to tuberculosis.

Licorice root can be found at some health food stores and most Asian markets. Many health stores also sell standard licorice tablets, capsules and extracts.

Licorice products that contain glycyrrhizin may increase a person's blood pressure and cause water retention. Consumption of more than seven grams of licorice per day for more than seven days consecutively could increase blood testosterone levels. According to the German Commission E monographs, licorice should not be used by pregnant women or people with liver and/or kidney disorders. As always, make sure to consult with a licensed health care provider before taking licorice or any other herbal remedy or dietary supplement.

References

Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A, et al. (eds.) The Complete Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications, 1998, pp. 161-2.
Murray MT. The Healing Power of Herbs. Rocklin, CA: Prima Publishing, 1995, pp. 228-39.
Soma R, Ikeda M, Morise T, et al. Effect of glychrrhizin on cortisol metabolism in humans. Endocrin Regulations 1994;28:31-4.