Lidocaine (Emla type) Cream

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Just wanted to let parents know that 25% Lidocaine cream is now available without prescription. I found it on Amazon while searching for arthritis rubs.

This is basically the same stuff as Emla cream and is for use before injections, blood draws, etc.

Many parents have found it helpful with children who are afraid of blood draws and injections.

I looked at the usage instructions on a couple of brands and they seem to be the same as for Emla.

Thought this might be helpful for those parents who want to avoid a doctor's visit.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you! Are we allowed to say brands? Which one have you used or do you think looks good?

Ive used otc LMX for blood draws. I have bad veins and it is often a big deal getting my blood. It works very well. I just checked and it seems it either has gone down in price or it is actually cheaper on Amazon than at the drug store. It was always either special order at the drug store or they kept it behind the counter for some reason.

I've also gotten prescription strength emla from the doctor. I think the emla seems a little stronger. It might be two types of analgesic mixed together...not sure.

However, the otc product also seems very good and well worth it.

I've mentioned this before as well. It is surprising that doctors don't mention this more often for children, the elderly or people such as myself who really go through a hard time with technicians often digging and so forth. It just takes the discomfort and fear down a notch and it is well appreciated.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I haven't actually tried any of them. I use Aspercreme 5% Lidocaine for arthritis pain, and when I searched for that, the 25% popped up as well.

I am carefully "cherishing" the few good veins I have left. I'm OK for blood draws, but hard to start IVs on as a long hospital stay many years ago blew out most of the good IV veins. So far, I can tolerate the digging.

My problem is that while they can get an IV started on me, they tend to blow out or infiltrate easily.

I wound up with a PICC line that last time I was in the hospital due to that. (at my insistance.)

kim75062

Thanks for this info! Not child related but I give my hubby an IM injection weekly and he's the biggest baby ever!!! I know it hurts but he's more dramatic then any of the kids have ever been with shots :roflmao:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Kim, a hint for the IM shots: use a larger (thicker) needle, meaning a smaller guage.

It'll hurt less because the liquid is coming out under less pressure. It especially helps if the material being injected is thick.

During my husband's long illness I had to give him various injections, and we discovered that needle guage made a big difference for IM injections.

kim75062

Lol yes I ordered 22g 1 1/2in needles. The stupid pharmacy gave him 25g 1 in needles lol I looked at the pharmacist assistant and asked what she really though that was going to do in the glut of a 200 pound man. I mean she knew the medication I was using it for, it wasn't insulin lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
What exactly are you injecting. Usually if you're injecting into the "gut", you're giving subcutaneous injections (under the skin) and want a fine needle.

If you're going into the muscle, you usually go for the thigh, upper arm (deltoid muscle), or hip. That's where a larger (lower gauge) needle can make the injection less painful.

I am sincerely hoping that your husband is not in need of one of the blood-cell building medications.

kim75062

No not gut, gluteus (his butt ). It's testosterone :) so it's a thick oil like substance that's best injected into the larger deep muscles.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
22 ga. is way too small a needle. Try a thicker needle. It'll be a lot less painful as the T will go in under less pressure.

You'll also be less likely to get a lump and deep bruising with a larger gauge needle.

kim75062

The 22 seems to work, no lumps or bruising so far and it's been a few months now. I change the needle out after I draw it up so it's good and sharp :)
But he's seriously a baby with needles. He whined about a TB test for like 3 days . And I swear the flu shot site "hurt" the ENTIRE season :faint:

kim75062

Oh and he's still on the first dose so it's only 0.5ml at this point. It should increase by next month after the follow up blood work. But still 1ml into that big of a muscle cannot possibley be that dibiltating lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
.5ml, huh? Yeah...he's a bit of a wimp. My husband was getting 3 shots a day SQ and IM, not counting the stuff that went into the port.

And his flu shot site hurt for months? Yeesh. I get a flu shot every year and I'm unusual in that I have site pain for about 3 days afterwards.

The one that really leaves me sore is the tetanus shot, or the DPT because Tetanus is included in that. But that's only every 10 years.

Hopefully, he'll get used to the injections, especially if they begin to help him with what he's likely taking them for.