Like or dislike social media?

BusynMember

Believe it or not this is the only forum I read on social media. No FB , Twitter, anyone of the newer stuff, or any forums beside this one. I do like to look at YouTube for information and entertainment.

I decided I didn't want to put info and pictures on such apopular place as FB even with blocking. Plus it bored me. I talk to my kids almost every day so I don't need it for that and my sis in law and bro and law, my only other beloved family, don't do social media.

by the way if even one of you remembers that bro in law and sis and law were moving to, of all places, Alaska, I feel lucky once again as their daughter and son and law who live there decided to move back so Hub and I won't lose them after all. Yay! And our niece and nephew in law will also be here! We love them so much. Everything I have wanted to happen is coming true. Remember, your life can turn great and lucky too!!! Never think your life will turn out bad. I never expected all this great love.

Anyway....social media???

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Forums, okay... actual true Social Media, no thanks.

Not on any Twitter, Facebook, whatever sites, and happy not to be. In fact, will never be.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Enjoy facebook, which I am very active on. In addition to it enabling me to keep up and in touch with friends. It has enabled me to get back in touch with friends from the Army days, younger relatives, people I knew from long ago, etc. I have also joined groups devoted to subjects of interest and/or subjects I'm interested in learning more about. I enjoy it a lot. Of course...I'm also a grown up and know when to keep my mouth shut...(most of the time) I do have a Twitter account, but only read at this point.

KTMom91

I use Facebook, have an Instagram account but never use it, and apparently I also have a Twitter account that I don't remember ever signing up for. I use Pinterest some, not a lot, and am on LinkedIn though I don't know why since I'm not job hunting.

So, I Facebook. That's really about all.

Dory

I am with you totally,

I absolutely despise it goes against life

Narcissistic,brain washing, crap.

Let's go fishing,camping,put ya bloody toes in the sand.

Cranky me with this.

Do kids even know how to catch tadpoles these days.

BusynMember

I don't like social media for me. And it comlicates the lives of our kids. But I don't think it's horrible all around. People keep and stay in touch this way. Beats the cost of old long distance phone calls. I would probably use it more if that was the only way to connect with family and friends. I do text a lot.
My kids don't use FB often. I am disinterested in people I knew from high school because I knew so few. I do keep in touch h with my high school bestie who is in Illinois in fact we have plans for me to visit her when I am next in town (I prefer this to FB). I am gaining a small group of friends who live near and I don't need FB to communicate. So I don't have a need for it. But some people do. I was just curious.

I just personally don't like it.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
For the most part, I like groups like this. I have been helped here and I know others have as well.
For the most part, I do NOT like FB and I probably wouldn't like Twitter. Is it Pinterest that has a lot of creative ideas? I can see some validity to that if it sticks to that.
I have seen a LOT of oddities on FB. Alot of narcissistic behavior. And I don't like the fact that information is gathered by marketers and who knows who or what else. I do not use my last name nor a profile photo. I rarely if ever post a ton of photos and limit private information. I never post when I'm going on vacation. If I go out of town, I might not ever mention it...even afterwards. If I go on a special trip and want to mention it, I might post a few photos afterwards. I just keep things scaled back. I do think it tends to be a time waster. But, I try to use it in a positive light...sharing positive information...major life events, recipes and such.

Lil

I use facebook but am liking it less and less to many false posts and pop ups.

...and politics. I HATE political posts. I had to "unfollow" a number of relatives during the election. I've gotten quite picky about just blocking some websites, so that even if a staunch right-wing friend posts an article of meme from one of those sites, I don't see it.

But for the most part I spend WAY too much time on Facebook. It's good, in that I can keep an eye on all the people I don't see regularly. It's bad, in that a lot of it is the "ad" type stuff and false "news" articles, etc., anymore. I try not to have any FB friends I don't personally know. The exceptions are people I'm with on other forums, like the old Weight Watcher's forums that are now defunct. Several of us found each other on FB and are "friends" now. I have exactly two ladies who are friends of friends - but otherwise, all people I personally know in real life.

I am "friends" with my son's girlfriend, but not my son.

I do Pinterest, but never really figured out how it's "social". I have people I follow and follow me, but I go there for food and craft ideas. It's a most enjoyable time-suck.

I have a Twitter account, but virtually never tweet. In fact, I don't think anyone is really linked to me there.

I have Instagram, but I don't do much there either.

AppleCori

I like Instagram.

Word to the wise, though—if you start following even one cute furry animal, all the cute furry animals in the world (and not so furry) will start following you, and then you will feel obligated to folllow them back, then even more cute furry animals (and not so furry) will start following you, then you will have to spend your whole day “liking” their pics, and if you “like” their pics, even more cute (and not so furry) animals will start following you, and....

lahouariapretty

If you like this kind of forum, there are also many other social networks with similar blogs. Their people discuss some topic in the comments or share their experiences.

200Meters

A real bustard
Mrs. 200Meters and I are not on Facebook, Twitter / X, Instagram, TikTok, etc, and do not feel our lives are lacking in anyway. Too often Facebook becomes Inyourfacebook where the rules of courtesy and basic decency, to say nothing of libel, go out the window. Not to be snobby but we'll pass.

Nandina

I’m with you 200Meters. I don’t have any of those social media accounts either. And I agree with the inyourface comment. People have never been so hateful. Or unnecessarily opinionated. It is, for some people, a good way to stay in touch with family and friends. But I think now, unfortunately, the bad far outweighs the good.

Nearly 10 years ago when my son was about 13, he wanted a facebook account. I didn’t want him to have one because he had a habit of veering off into inappropriate content. But guess what? There wasn’t a thing I could do to keep my son off Facebook, because at the ripe ol’ age of 13, Facebook gives kids the right to have their own account regardless of parental concern or permission. And really, they could start younger, because all they had to do was check a box that said they were 13. So, I monitored my son closely at home, but he would sneak and use it at school!

Fast forward about 10 years and Facebook is finally realizing (duh) that there needed to be some restraints on younger children. They are now working on that issue but at what cost? Teen suicides, depression and anxiety, loneliness and plenty of hateful speech. And Facebook waited way too long and made way too much money before doing anything about it. And whatever they do, I doubt if it will be enough.

I am a (somewhat inactive) member of Reddit because there are some topics I am interested in, mainly cooking, but I don’t like how they rate every little reply to a post. Sometimes it just seems like a popularity contest. And I’ve seen the overly used f-bomb as an adjective, verb, adverb and noun; I guess for lack of a better vocabulary, lol 😉
Well, on second thought, maybe not an adverb…