location of an iep meeting

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
is there anything that dictates where an iep meeting can or cannot be held?

the sd is FINALLY scheduling the iep meeting for wee following the FBA etc for next week. i had hoped to be able to sit "normally" by now, but still must keep my foot elevated due to circulation issues and the sped dir emailed me today saying they can not have the iep anywhere but school, but if i can not attend, they can use a conf call to include me. we have tried to use their phones to conf in others before and its a joke. there's no way that's a viable option.

so within the law, what's the options? i live less than 1.5 miles from the buiding where the meetings are generally held, and i know iep meetings are not required by law to be held in school buildings...not sure whether to make them reschedule or push this issue just a bit to kep the date. it won't happen, tho, if i'm not there in person.

BusynMember

Call your Dept. of Public Education and ask for the Special Needs person. She will tell you the law, your rights, and where you can request the meeting. Don't let them go ahead with any meeting without you. Good luck :)

klmno

Shari, I think you are right however, I think the most important thing is that you need "accommodations" in order to attend and they are required by law to provide them. Have you signed the form yet? There should be a space to list any special accommodations you might need or at least tell you where to call if you need them. If you don't have this option or the form, do as MWM suggests- call the DOE and tell them.

SRL

Can you get a friend to drop you off and just elevate your foot at the meeting? With all you have on the table, personally I wouldn't push this issue if you have another way to make it happen.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I've participated in IEP meetings by conference call before. I've also participated in them in person at a treatment facility. So, I know they can be held just about anywhere. Hopefully they will accommodate you...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
As of my dr appointment today, swelling is still a major issue (I guess they didn't believe me) but in the hour or so that it was not elevated above my heart for said appointment, it swelled so much they could not move forward with the next splint they had planned. The last several IEP meetings have been 3 hours long and I am back to flat on my back except to pee.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
ps conf call is not an option because they don't have adequate equipment to do it. we've tried to conf. in his docs before and the docs couldn't hear anyone in the room.

whatamess

Even if they could come to your house, would you want to participate in an IEP, flat on your back? I'd definitely ask to postpone the meeting.

Marguerite

Flat on your back or not - I think it's too important to postpone. Besides, how else will they realise just how determined we parents are, for our kids? If seeing you flat on your back makes them feel uncomfortable - GOOD! Maybe they will try a bit harder to not add to your load.

Marg

DDD

I really doubt that you would be able to schedule the meeting at your home. At least around here the teachers have to get
substitutes to cover them during the IEP meetings at the school. I'm not a great advocate for school personnel but it makes sense to have it at their location. I'm sorry you are under the weather but perhaps a delay is best. Sorry. DDD

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Our meetings are always after school. Largely bacause they always last so long....gr.

I think i will delay. he'll be on break most of the time, anyway. i may regret it, but as usual, there's no black and white "right" answer.

DammitJanet

I think I would delay it right now but try to get it as soon as you can even get some place like the library that might have a couch that you can sit on and elevate your leg. Even if you have to lie down with your foot in the air you can bring in a laptop and the advocate. They actually might take you more seriously. Who can say no to a woman laying on a couch obviously disabled?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am gonna ask if they do have any alteranate locations that would provide a place to elevate it adequately before i cancel. but i dont see it happening.

Shari,

I think Janet has a good point. The school must have a couch or something that you can use to elevate your leg. I really hope you don't have to cancel your meeting. Our SD used stalling tactics to their advantage as much as possible. The longer they could avoid a meeting, the less services they had to provide.
Hoping your SD decides to accommodate your needs... Keeping my fingers crossed... SFR