Looking for advice concerning my 13-year-old

UpandDown

I can offer what finally seemed to help my son. Although he was not adopted, I see similarities. He too started using weed in 9th grade and all quickly began to fall apart. School, friendships, sports, family relationships, etc. We intervened pretty quickly and nothing seemed to work. Fast forward 18 months and he was brazen enough to smoke in our home time and time again. We punished him over and over again but he kept using. The final straw was when I read a text message on his phone where he was planning to buy weed. I turned off his phone service and when he found out what I did, he completely lost his cool. Yelling, cussing, and ultimately broke a window, my glasses and 2 cell phones. Right there and then I called the police. They suggested we go to the courts and file charges. We did and since he had never been in trouble before, the probation officer put him on a diversion plan. That plan included 10 weeks of anger management, substance abuse class for 10 weeks, 50 hours of community service, weekly sessions with a family therapist and random drug screens. We completely handed the consequences over to the court. That was an important piece as it removed the battle from between us. Also, all but the family therapy was paid for by the courts. That also was important because we have tapped out our financial resources in getting him previous treatment. As long as he met the all of the conditions of the diversion plan, it falls off his record. It has never has to be reported to anyone (ie, employers, school) because the idea is to give him a fair chance to make life long changes. Through all of these programs, he has begun the long path to change. It was by no means a perfect answer but it certainly scared him to see that we were no longer going to protect him from his choices. I can't say he thanks us, actually he is very angry. But he made honor roll for the first time since starting weed, and most important he is no longer smoking and engaging in scary reckless behavior. Because he is clean, he is also able to really start digging deep and dealing with why he felt he needed to self medicate.

Nancy

I understand your hesitance about her having a record, I was afraid of that also. But Kathy is correct, juvenile records are sealed. However if the resource officer is working with you that may be what you need for now. There came a time when I had no other alternative but to call the police for help, but it was the last resort and you aren't there yet and hopefully you won't need to be.

SadFlower

Hi all. I've had another talk with the resource officer about an hour ago and we set up a meeting to work on a plan. I really hope I will not have to involve the police, but I think now that if we'll reach that stage, it might shake her up enough to get her to change.

The more I read here and the more I talk to people, the more I realize that what she needs right now is some consequences that will make it clear to her that she can't go on behaving as she does and expecting me to clean up after her or do nothing. I've decided to shut down her cell phone since she uses it to communicate with her drug using friends all day long. I will call the phone company soon and take the phone away once she gets home (whenever that may happen).

AppleCori

Are you positive that she is smoking weed?

There are other things, like spice that are smoked and don't show up in most drug tests.

Nancy

I don't know what cell phone provider you have but the one I have has a parental control feature where I could limit the numbers that she cold receive calls from to just family so that she still had it for emergencies. I was also able to shut it off remotely since I knew she wouldn't give me the phone willingly.

SadFlower

Thank you guys for your support.... you help me stay sane. It's a comfort knowing that other parents have gone through the same mess and are surviving despite it all.

Nancy, I didn't really think of that - I will check with the phone company if it's possible. Although I do want to take her phone away, if only to show her that I will not put up with her behavior anymore. I've made enough excuses for her as it is. And you guys are right, I should have called the police the minute she started taking off like that. I can't believe I let my 13-year-old stay out all night with strangers doing got knows what. She's putting herself at risk and if she won't protect herself, I will step in and do it for her.

I take comfort in the fact that she's still doing well at school. She's in honors classes and in a math class that's usually taken by juniors. If only she'd been willing to make friends with those kids.... sigh.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Are you positive that she is smoking weed?

There are other things, like spice that are smoked and don't show up in most drug tests.
There also hundreds of "research chemicals" that are sold as powder or in pressed tablets, that are coming out as quickly as older versions are made illegal. Also, tablet MDMA(Ecstacy) has fallen out of favor. Currently, powder MDMA or "Molly" is more popular as it is usually cleaner (more free of additives) and can be used via multiple routes. The pill could've been MDMA, it also could've been a lot of other things.

Spice users and users of the stimulant RC's, (or meth) use benzos, whether RX, dark market, or research chems to ease the comedown.

You need to get a comprehensive supervised urine screen, and a hair test done on her asap. I would contact your nearest industrial health cliic and see if they'll do self-pay urine screen and hair test. They specialize in pre-employement drug testing, health screenings, etc.

SadFlower

Update:
Had the meeting with the resource officer. We planned out how to deal with daughter's behaviors. Later I met him with daughter and let her know that if she takes off again, I'm calling the police. I also told her that I will call the police if she brings drugs or alcohol into our home. She's been alternating between screaming at me that she hates me and wants to move in with her father (as well as whole bunch of other, extemely hurtful things that I'm ashamed to say keep ringing in my ears), crying hysterically, and just being extremely cold and non-responsive.
But she was home last night, and the night before that, and she's at school right now. That's what matters. I spoke very honestly at that meeting, and I think she understood that I'm not playing around. What I'm worried about right now is her meeting her drug using friends at school.... If I could homeschool her, I would.

GoingNorth, thank you for all the information! I will check whether we have such a clinic anywhere nearby.

Nancy

I understand your fear. My biggest fear was letting my daughter out of the house to be influenced by the polluters out there. We had one right down the street from us who gave her her first pot cigarette and then had sex with her, at age 14. I was heartbroken and truth be told I had hatred in my heart for him. No use dealing with his family, they stuck their heads in the sand and thought my daughter was charming and even hid her from us on occasion. Their son is now a heroin addict and dealer in and our of jail numerous times with many arrests.

But it sounds like your talk with her at least made an impact on her behavior. Keep us posted.

New Leaf

Had the meeting with the resource officer. We planned out how to deal with daughter's behaviors. Later I met him with daughter and let her know that if she takes off again, I'm calling the police. I also told her that I will call the police if she brings drugs or alcohol into our home. She's been alternating between screaming at me that she hates me and wants to move in with her father (as well as whole bunch of other, extemely hurtful things that I'm ashamed to say keep ringing in my ears), crying hysterically, and just being extremely cold and non-responsive.
But she was home last night, and the night before that, and she's at school right now. That's what matters. I spoke very honestly at that meeting, and I think she understood that I'm not playing around. What I'm worried about right now is her meeting her drug using friends at school.... If I could homeschool her, I would.
HI SadFlower,
I am sorry for your troubles, it is hard when our children hit teen years and start to act out. Sounds like you have already considered counseling and also are showing her that her wrongful actions will not be tolerated. She knows deep inside that you love and care for her.

You might consider a sport to keep her busy. Even martial arts, they not only teach discipline, but taking care of oneself, as well as respectfulness.

I hope things have calmed down a bit. This can be very wearing on Moms and Dads. I hope you can find time for yourselves to replenish.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

SadFlower

Nancy, having someone like that so close to home sounds horrible!! And his parents just helped him along instead of being adults... that's my greatest fear, that my daughter would end up with a "boyfriend" like that who would push her further along this path...

New Leaf,
That's exactly what I'm trying to do these days, with horseback riding. No impact that I can see just yet. I just hope it'll give her an opportunity to make some more positive friends.
And yes, it is tiring.... she throws fits on a daily basis, calls me names, says extremely hurtful things and accuses me of destroying whatever "social life" she's managed to build. Of course when we get to school or the horse ranch she acts extremely polite and charming.

BusynMember

Im late to this party. I had a daughter who started drugs at twelve and was on parole twice. She has no record since she was a minor.
I think her age is an advantage. Youcan still intervene because of her age so you get more time. Use lt. Dont.t be afraid of her. My daughter is adoptd from abroad. I read somewhere that if they take out the knife and say "my real mother wouldnt treat me this way" that a good respnse is "your bithmother would agree with me about your behavior." That left my daughter speechless and she didny use it again, although, to be fair, she never says she is sorry we adopted her either. I have oftentold her id help her find her birthmother but she isnt ready yet. I feeliys important for afoptive parents to calmly acknowledge the birthmother and to say its normal for them to want to meet thrm. Takes the wind out of the "youre not my real mother" toss. None of my three adted kids said that to me. Maybe that openness is why.
Having said that, being adopted is a behavior rIsk, which I feel is often biologically based. Many act more like theirbirthparents than like us.
Bottom line is intervene now. My daughter auit everything, even cugarettes, by nineteen. I think helping her very early helped. She is about eleven years clean.

ksm

So glad you called the police. We did that twice when our DGD snuck out earlier this year. The second time it happened, we had to go to court, and she started receiving community services. She still has to check in with her court officer every other week. He sets curfew, right now it is 8pm on school nights and 10pm on weekends. Started out with a 6pm curfew. She knows we will call her in if she is not home, or not where she says she is.

Her drug tests have been clean now! She might make the honor roll!

Something's are still a struggle, but I think getting the police involved started the process of turning things around. KSM​

New Leaf

Sadflower,
This is a very difficult time of life.
I was a confused child at 13, looking for acceptance and love. I was not comfortable in my home, I had a strong, domineering sister who was very bullying.
I became two people, much like you describe of your child, except the opposite, I was one way at school, with friends, but showed a different "innocent" face to my parents, to avoid problems at home.

You are fortunate to know exactly how your child feels.

At least you can take steps to stop it.

My third girl was very stubborn at 13. She started hanging around a 15 year old neighbor girl. I knew this was trouble and tried to stop it, but couldn't. I involved her in sports, she went on school trips, we tried everything. Her cousin came to me one day and said "Aunty I have got to tell you something" they had been very close growing up, then drifted apart. She told me my 13 year old was sneaking around with an 18 year old boy, a friend of this 15 year olds boyfriend. OMG, talk about panic. He actually had the audacity to call for her on our home phone. I talked to that guy and set him straight, telling him I would call the police. Come to find out, he was 21!!!!!!! I did call the police, but there was nothing they could do.

This is a hard, hard thing. I know you are concerned she may have a record, but you may have to call the police, Sadflower. Consequences. It may help her to see the seriousness of her actions, and your strong conviction regarding them.

I remember being a teen, and just wanting to do my own thing. I hung around the wrong crowd, too.
I was also very worried about my future. In the 70's the concern was about nuclear power, ozone depletion, environmental issues.
I can only imagine now a days, how an intelligent, discerning teen may be thinking what their future holds. Global warming, GMO's, species extinction, gun violence in schools.

What are her interests? She is very intelligent, is she challenged enough in school? Does she accept herself and her differences? Sometimes the root of acting out can be low self esteem.

Are you able to perhaps, enroll her in another school, a charter school with different teaching styles?

You write that she has always been sensitive about her adoption, are you open to her seeking her bio parents?

Does she resist your hugs and affection? Sometimes this means they need hugs all the more. My hubs is not a hugger. When my youngest girl comes home to visit, she tells him "Hi Dad! Did you know hugs are very good for you?" He makes a funny face like he is in pain.
Still, she gives him a long hard, squeezing hug.
It is true, hugs are good for us.

When tension is great in the household, due to a demanding, disrespectful child acting out, the last thing we think of is hugging. This may be the very thing she wants and needs. She will reject it at first. Try it and see what happens!

I am sorry, so many questions.
I do so hope you find answers for your child.

My thoughts and prayers are with you
(((HUGS)))
leafy

SadFlower

Right when I thought things were getting better, she took off again. I called the police this time. Steeled myself and did it. They brought her home about two hours later. I was totally hysterical until they did. I'm ashamed to say that I was afraid she will be angry... and she was... but I eventually became angrier. When they found her, she was high and they tested her at the police station... she was high on meth. Done with my "it's just pot" illusions.

I was also looking through her phone... I wish I'd done it sooner. She's dating a 19-year-old college dropout who is also a drug user and they were texting about running away to Colorado. I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't intervened NOW.

I don't know whether to send her to school. Today she said she's sorry and cried... I think it's starting to dawn on her that this is not a good situation. But she also says that they're her "only friends" and that no one at school likes her... :( she says they make fun of her because she's Asian. She told someone that she was born in Kazakhstan and now some kids say she's "Pakistani" and call her at terrorist.
We don't have the money to send her to a private school, but I think I will take a loan. We live in a small, 95% white city, and the private school here is very small and offers less academic opportunities than the public school, but there are a few Asian (Korean and Chinese) students there, and maybe she'd feel more welcomed.

I've talked to her a lot about being adopted and made it clear that neither me nor her father would have any problem with her finding her birthmother when she's ready. We've been to Kazakhstan last year and visited the orphanage when she's spent most of her first year of life. She liked the fact that people mistook her for a local and addressed her in Russian or Kazakh. She wanted to go again this year but we can't afford it.

KSM, I'm so happy to read that the police involvement made a difference for your daughter. I hope I'll see the same outcome with mine!

New Leaf: like many gifted kids, she goes through periods where she falls in love with certain topics, researches them non-stop and talks about them incessantly. We've been through dark matter, genetics, Islam and we were just in the middle of a North Korea obsession (she was teaching herself Korean so she could read articles about them written by South Koreans). Her dropping it was the first sign that something was wrong.
She is not very affectionate. She's never being touched. That kind of offended me when she was young but I learned to accept it as part of her character.

New Leaf

Hi SF,
Oh my, I am so sorry to read this, it is tough. Meth is very insidious. I hope your daughter can get treatment through this recent incident. It is really a blessing, considering she is with a 19 year old boy, and had plans to run.

I hope you can find help and support to deal with this SF. Meth is very tricky.

She is not very affectionate. She's never liked being touched. That kind of offended me when she was young but I learned to accept it as part of her character.
Sometimes children who hail from orphanages, have difficulty with touch. I learned of this in my school, with adopted children from Asian countries. There is information here
http://www.attachment.org/reactive-attachment-disorder/
I am certainly not trying to diagnose, but this may be part of what you are dealing with.

I do not know about sending her to school, not because of the teasing, but her propensity to run away.
Please look up meth, if you do not already understand the danger of it. It is said to be worse than crack. My niece was addicted to it, years back. She is my go to person for info.
She told me all it took was once, one high, and she was hooked. That is why, the slogan, "Not even once."
My daughter is on meth, she is 36, and completely lost in it.

This 19 year old boyfriend may also be a user.
SF, I know you probably do not want to think of this, but the odds are, she may have had unprotected sex.
Forgive my forwardness in saying so, but these times are different, and dealing with drug abusers, more different still. I would imagine that if they have had relations, her being 13, may make it an offense. She is a minor, he is an adult, taking advantage of her youth. This is a crime, SF. She will not like it, but she needs protection from this man-boy, and herself.

I pray that you will find help for your daughter. She is at a very dangerous place, testing positive for meth.

Please look into this

http://www.methproject.org/answers/if-i-try-meth-will-i-become-an-addict.html#Kaleos-Story

Take care SF, please let us know how you are doing
(((HUGS)))
leafy

SadFlower

Thank you for the response, New Leaf... it helps.
Daughter is now on formal diversion. I take her to school early every morning, and her cousin picks her up once she's done. Now she spends most of her time reading science fiction in her room and playing video games. She accepted that. I think she's beginning to realize that her actions have some serious consequences.

She also doesn't have any access to her phone which is a good thing. We've looked into transferring to our local private school, but they no longer accept applications for a mid-year transfer, so I will transfer her there next year. She wants to go and says she hates her current school.

I wonder just how much danger she's in. Do ALL people who try meth for the first time become instantly addicted? I really, really hope that she was only in the initial experimentation stages and didn't really develop a true dependence yet....

We are going to see a therapist next month (she's not available until then... grr).

I'm really, really tired of this mess.

New Leaf

HI Sadflower, It is a very exhausting, this I know. I hope you are able to take some time for yourself.
I wonder just how much danger she's in. Do ALL people who try meth for the first time become instantly addicted? I really, really hope that she was only in the initial experimentation stages and didn't really develop a true dependence yet....
Short-Term Effects of Meth Include:
  • effects similar to cocaine abuse
  • erratic behavior
  • violent behavior
  • suppressed appetite
  • poor sleeping or insomnia
  • mood swings
  • unpredictable behavior
  • tremors
  • convulsions
  • high blood pressure and increased heart rate
  • suicidal throughts
  • anxiety
  • paranoia
I am not so sure about the instant addiction question. It is probably up to individuals, how much is used.
Others will come along who can answer the question better than I can. I do know, my daughter would disappear, then come back and sleep for days. She would always say she was sick, and she was, sick from withdrawing. The withdrawal is obvious, moody, depressed and impossible to live with. But, that pretty much describes some teenagers.

We are going to see a therapist next month (she's not available until then... grr).
Grrrrr is right. It stumps me this is so, especially since your daughter tested positive for meth use. I would think this would fast track her for help. Be careful of school, my son is a freshman, and says students can buy meth in school. Doesn't surprise me, in the 70's we could get our hands on pretty much anything in school.
I'm really, really tired of this mess.
I hope things are looking a little better for you and your girl SF. I know how draining all of this is.

Hang in there, you are not alone.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

SadFlower

Thank you for the encouragement, Leaf! I am happy to say that so far she's behaving... I don't let her out for anything besides school, and she hasn't tried running away yet (I changed the locks). The drug tests she's done since that day have all turned out clean.
But it feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop. I understand what you're saying about school but there's no where else for her to transfer to... and I can't homeschool. It scares me, sending her there every morning. But so far, I think she's off drugs... I hope. It's hard when I don't know whether to trust my own daughter.