Looking for Attention?

SuZir

If you feel uncomfortable saying aloud you are trying to save money by doing things 'old-fashioned way' just say you are doing it to be environmental friendly of because of the exercise. Of course they then may think you are behaving suspiciously European but if you are not giving any other un-patriotic vibes, they may forgive that.

Seriously in many parts of the world you would be applauded for using the manual lawn mower because of eco-friendliness. I have gotten away with using a dryer because of two sporty boys making lots of laundry. But only for winter. Using dryer during summer is 'an awful waste.' We are still all hanging our laundry outside to dry. If someone buys a SVU people really start to raise their eyebrows, because it takes just too much gas and is so eco-unfriendly. And at least half of people in my workplace use bicycle at least four times a week for transportation to work during summer season. Because of the environment and exercise (and to save money and to loose those extra pounds many notices to be sporting, when it is the time to forsake our long underwear and quilted jackets.) Of course most people forget that eco-friendliness, when it is a time for them to fly to Thailand, almost totally other side of the world, for their annual two weeks laying in the sun...

donna723

If I had an outdoor clothes line I would still use it for sheets and towels and I wouldn't give a rats rear what the neighbors thought! This house is ancient and when I first moved in it had one big metal clothesline pole still in place and the other laying on the ground. I tried and tried and finally gave up on getting that second pole put back up. When I was a kid I used to love how fresh and clean everything smelled after it had been dried outdoors and no fabric softener or laundry detergent has ever really been able to duplicate that smell!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
"Eco-Friendly Outdoor Clothes Dryers"

:rofl: :rofl:

I've been accused of being a "tree hugger" because of my mower. Which I find amusing because I never even considered that.......

But you think the mower is bad? You ought to see them stare when I do the manual trimming with my little hand held clippers. LOL

The upside to this? If the economy totally tanks........or gas jumps up to an ungodly price...........my grass won't be 3 foot high in my yard. Same with the clothes line too...........But I guess people don't think of things like that anymore.

I spent months at the gym. I didn't get anywhere near the workout I got yesterday or that I get doing the garden with manual tools/labor. There is a reason our grandparents and generations before them could eat those huge heavy meals and not get obese. When they did yard work, they worked. Shoot........go back far enough and even putting breakfast on the table was hard work, doing laundry took an entire day.........and not because you were waiting on the dryer.

I haven't turned into a health nut. But I have stopped and taken a long hard look at my life.........and I admit how others do things.........and I think Wow, when did I get so lazy? Doing yard work this way as a kid is not something I ever gave any thought to until husband started razzing me over it when we bought this house. I just went out and did it. I was in fantastic shape before I got married.

Jody

Lisa,

I used the manual mower last year for my mobile home lot. There wasn't any upkeep really and didn't have to buy the gasoline. I put it under my steps as I didn't have a shed and didn't have to worry about blowing up the house. It was a work out but I had a small lot and I never let it get high. My neighbors thought I was crazy, but they were constantly having problems with their mowers, out of gas, out of oil, just flat out didn't work, I knew mine always would.

I loved the feeling it gave me afterwards. I live in an apartment now, too scared of the storms to live in a mobile home right now, but I do miss my own little yard. I still have a garden, I just call it my city garden. I think its wonderful that people are going back to the way things were done long ago. Prices have gotten higher and higher for groceries and its time to grow some of our own vegetables and herbs when we can. A bag of seeds is cheap. I think a lot of America is becoming a lot less spoiled. The goodwill in my town looks like a regular store and has a coffee shop in it. Watch out on Saturday morning because it is jammed pack.

DammitJanet

My yard is at least an acre and a half to two acres of grass. It takes around 2 to 3 hours to cut it with a push mower. If I tried to cut my yard with one of these things I would be cutting it one strip at a time for the next ten years. And I can guarantee it would never go through the thick grass over the septic lines. We have had to bring in a tractor to cut that down before.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, that is when you go out and buy sheep and goats. LOL

No, it wouldn't work in your yard. It probably doesn't work well with a really large lot unless you have some teens who can take turns to make it go faster. We had a fairly large yard growing up, but there were 5 kids and 2 adults to do the work, and when one got tired or overheated, another stepped in to continue.

I was going to set the blades lower and go over it again today. It took so long yesterday because it had grown up some......it's not usually so time consuming if you can keep up with it. But the weather had other ideas and it's storming and pouring.........so now it will just grow again. I'm glad I didn't put it off yesterday.