Looking for direction

kit

Hello everyone. It has been awhile since I have been in things have just been moving so fast around here. difficult child was placed in RT for 6 months and came home at the begining of Oct. Since coming home we have had to put him back in the hospital 4 times. He changed docs again and this one is now saying PPD-not otherwise specified but while at the hospital they are saying asperbers. We have an apointment with Primary doctor to get referal for proper testing. The circle never seems to end.
He is still having a rough time keepping his temper togeather at school and I don't know what to do. We have a behavioral treatment team meeting next week and I don't have any ideas to help.
As far as home goes we still have at least once a night explosion and it seem to be once a month to the hospital. His sensory issues and his obsesions seem to run his life anymore. And if anything (life) inturdes he goes nuts.
The six months he was in placement was very strange. There was no chaos, no yelling, no fighting. And now it's like I forgot how to mother my own son. I have found myself feeding into his fights. Not listening. Cooking things I know he doesn't like and not remembering to fix something he does.
I just feel so lost and started to think back to when things where a little more under control and I remembered this site. You all have helped so much in the past and I feel very guilty for not staying in touch.

kit :confused:

rejectedmom

Welcome back Kit. You will get back into the routine. You know how to mother your child you just haven't had to think about all those little things for a while. I am sorry you difficult child isn't doing well. I have been reading alot on AS and alot of what I am reading is somewhat encouraging. They can learn to adjust with time and patience and the right training. s the evaluation is a good thing. As with all our difficult child's there is the puzzle of finding a diagnosis and then there is the solution of appropriate treatment. Both are a challenge. Both take time and patience. (((HUGS))) -RM

kit

We have tried to get him so outlets for his frustration. X-Mas he got an electric guitar. We got him his own puppy. Was told it would help teach him empathy, compasion and patience. It's not working. She has truely bonded with him although when he explodes he scares the "poop" right out of her. We are looking into sports but I am very scared to let him in phyical contact with other kids. I don't know what else to do to help him.

kit

rejectedmom

Kit alot of the mommies here recommend the book "The Explosive Child" If you haven't already read it perhaps that would be something you could do while waiting for the evaluation. Also go back to the CD main page and explore the links for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). There is a wealth of information there too -RM

Stella Johnson

Welcome back!
I don't see the dog being of any help to him if he isn't stable. And from what you describe, he isn't.

I am surprised they didn't test him for aspergers in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). My difficult child was tested for everything under the sun when she was in children's hospital.

Have you asked the sd to pay for the testing?

Steph

tiredmommy

Welcome back, Kit. You mentioned his obsessions and sensory problems. I'd start there. H

I picked up on that part of your post because I know that was a huge source of frustration for my Duckie and triggered many a rage. As for obsessions, he really can't help that either. The hope I can offer is that the severity of Duckie's obsessions has gradually improved as her overall condition has improved. But we had to let the obsessions be and work on the things we could control. Check out Carol Krankowitz's Out Of Sync Child and Ross Greene's The Explosive Child (many libraries shelve these books). The key right now is to try to limit his rages so that you can actually get back to the business of parenting your child.

BusynMember

If your son is on the Spectrum, be it Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified or Aspergers (it really doesn't matter which one), he won't respond to "typical" behavioral plans, and he needs special supports in school and the community to improve his understanding of people and the world around him. My son has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified (I'm sure some would say Aspergers--again, since it's all the Spectrum, it doesn't matter)--and he had such good interventions early on that he can really "pass" as pretty much a typical kid. He's not and we see that at home, but he's so much better. The most effective help for a Spectrum kid is to seek these Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) specific interventions. medications do not change Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). They can help curb certain behaviors, but won't stop the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). He's starting later, but any time you get Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) interventions it speaks well for the prognosis of the child. Good luck (I'd contact a good neuropsychologist who will do intensive testing--often pschiatrists don't "get" Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) as it's not a psychiatric problem).