Looking for Support Group in Euless Texas (DFW)

MedicDVG

Greetings,
I have been a member of this board for years, but for some reason my login information is not working..

Anyway.. my stepson Richy and my Ex-wife are now living in the Dallas Fort Worth area (specifically Euless) and are having a hell of a time adjusting. I am in Iraq and can't be much help. I am looking for any type of resource for them in terms of a support group, counselor, psychiatrist, etc. to refer them to.

Richy is 12 - Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, Aspergers, ODD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and whatever else alphabet soup you want to throw out there.

They are having huge issues with the school and he has been suspended twice already since the semester started. Now, the school police officer doesn't want to hear about "them mental problems" and is threatening to ticket him for trespassing when he acts up. Richy has been getting into fights, is refusing to leave classrooms (hence the trespassing) and I am at my wits end on how to help out.

Anyone have ANY ideas?

Thanks,
Dean
AKA MedicDVG
Iraq

trinityroyal

One other thought...
If your stepson is starting to have run-ins with the police, even minor ones, your Ex-W will need to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

Autistic people (and those with other developmental delays) are over-represented in the criminal justice system.

Here is a link that you might find useful:
http://www.autismriskmanagement.com/

Hope this helps,
Trinity

MedicDVG

Thanks for the responses.

In response to the question "Does he have an IEP?" The answer is no, not at this time. The meetings are all scheduled from what I understand. There has been communication with the school prior to his attendance and he was placed in a special class room with 4-5 aides and it is supposed to be monitored by the school behaviorist. I don't know all the details.

Basically my wife and I got divorced at the time that I was deployed here in Iraq. We are still close despite the divorce and I am very close with the kids. When we were married, I was the basic family advocate for Richy with our school district. I read all the Wrightslaw books and we had a fairly good IEP, Crisis Plan, and behavioral modification plan. Well that all went down the tubes in the divorce and my ex states "she doesn't have the energy" to go through that process again. She has many issues of her own both in her own mental health and physical health which don't help the situation either.

She desperately needs someone who is a child advocate to help her through the IEP process as well as help her deal with the school system.

Thanks,
Deano
aka MedicDVG

Steely

Deano......I sent you a private message. I would be glad to assist your ex in anyway I can since I am located close to her - including helping her with school advocacy issues. Please have her contact me with the info I provided.