LORD LOVE a DUCK!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hello Family -

Just scheking in ...........

School is.......weird.

My dog? Nearly died - was told he had "a mass", but we didn't have the money to see if it was cancer, and the harbinger of death on call vet (not our usual vet) suggested over and over that we consider putting him "down". The vets staff called us on the QT - and said they went behind her back, took a vote and with our dogs history of being a vacuum cleaner (um....lets see last surgery was to remove his collar with buckle, dog tags, rabies and ID tag....milk jug, and something else yet to be identified) .....and scanned the X-ray to OUR vet and he took one look at the "TUMOR" and said 'Ahhh no way that's a tumor it's too perfectly shaped.....get him in for surgery and NOW - (it had been three days and Dr Death sent us home with cancer medications so we could say good bye).

After a two hour surgery/recovery time - we received a call that my baby was in recovery and a rubber duck.....was in the plastic bag.

He's doing well today - on 2 pain medications, and 2 antibiotics, and AD food.

Mother is nearly ready for the nut hut.

Nurse Pootie ? Wonderful creature - taking full charge of the situation.

Father DF? MAD AS HADES that the Grim Reaper nearly took our child, but glad the staff didn't listen and saved our kid.

Brothers - Happy that we have more time on earth with the Freaky Beast!

YARD???? NANNA has made the entire 2 acres and the toy basket VOID of every single thing.....EVERY.THING.IS.GONE.

No toys, no rawhides - no nothing - unless we put it down and pick it up......

And no more........rubber toys every....

Maybe a rubber room for Mommie - :flirtysmile3:

Dude - doing well - Ouixa lovely as a peach!

Miss you all -

H

HaoZi

We've missed you, too, Star! Glad to hear furbaby is on the road to recovery (again).

Marguerite

We've missed you! Been worried about you. I was about to send a snail-mail search and rescue after you...

About the dog - why a duck?

husband said it's what you get when you cross a great dane with a hoover...

Now, don't ever go away again for so long without telling us where you're going and who you will be with!

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Been worried about you Starbie, you really must check in more often.

So glad your furbaby has made it through yet another scrape.........perhaps this time was the time he'll learn his lesson? ha, probably not but one can always hope, right?

((((hugs)))) And don't be such a stranger!

donna723

Yes, we've missed you, Star! And how scary is it that this so-called vet was ready to pull the plug on your baby without further checking! Thank God the staff was a little more level headed! And looking at the X-rays, did this vet really think your dog could have grown a "tumor" in the shape of a rubber duckie?

There's nothing worse than one of those "gloom and doom" vets. I ran in to one of those when my Katy was sick, and I swear, if I ever saw her on the street, it would be hard for me not to aim my car right at her! We had a cancer scare with Katy too, there was a possibility that she had breast cancer which can spread to the lungs very quickly with dogs. Our regular vet scheduled her for surgery to remove her back pair of mammary glands but he had a "wait and see" attitude about whether it was malignant or not. But this young newbie vet who was working with him that day was so sure that it was cancer and as soon as he would leave the room she would start showing me things on Katy's X-rays that she said were tumors, so proud of herself for "outsmarting" our regular vet! She was practically grinning ear to ear at her knowledge and wisdom, completely forgetting that she was talking about my beloved Katy! The five days before Katy's surgery were agony for me and I could hardly look at her, thinking that she was going to die! She had her surgery and her lumps were NOT malignant, and when I went to pick her up, little miss newbie vet practically put a bag over her head and hid in the back room! I just wanted to slap her silly!

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad to hear your furbaby is better now. Sorry the vet was such a fool, and glad the staff was smart enough to know and do better! I have run into some quack vets too - so I know the fury when you find they have abused you and your baby.

What is going on with school? I can't remember what you are studying, I am sorry but my mind is going lately. How are things weird?

Please don't go so long with-o checking in - we miss you and worry!!!

((((((((((hugs))))))))))

DammitJanet

Oh gosh...I my heart was about in my throat when I saw you had posted. You didnt call me back so I didnt know if that was good news or omgosh she has aimed her truck at a semi cause Casper has died.

by the way...Nina sends snuffy licks and kisses to you and pootie and casper.

Steely

Missed you Star!!! I think about you all the time. So glad your dog is OK!!!
I had to put down Chester a couple of months ago because of cancer, I know how horrible it is. I cried so hard, the vet sent me a card. :(
I have a new puppy that sounds like she is heading down Casper's road. She eats rocks. Yep, as if they are food. And, it is not as if the desert has a lot of grass??? Nope, just rocks and sand. LOL
Take care & many hugs.
Steely

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thank you all for the love - and Casper sends his smiles.......we're not out of the woods yet - but it's better than it was Sunday last. I mean can you fell ANY worse than when your furkid jumps in bed between you and your Mom (she's been staying here by the way so I can use her can to get up at 4 am, drive 100 miles to school because of that stolen car 'thing' and get to trucking school. Came all the way from Ohio - just didn't plan on being here a month - tried to tell her but you know Mom) anyway - the boy jumps up in bed and starts panting and panting.....well I figure it's a heating blanket and yell "CASP GET OUT OF THE BED." and he won't go....and he's huge -and will.not.go. No sir. He's like a rock. More like a boulder - and he's not moving. So I grab the scruff of his neck and 'help' him. He's on the floor now, panting, whimpering. I let him out. I'm really not a midnight person - so now? I'm really growling - I mean I have to get up at 4:00 and WHAT DO YOU WANT? You got me up? You are OUT! ARGH. So then I go back to bed, leave him roam the house and now he's at the side of the bed - S.T.A.R.I.N.G......S.T.A.R.I.N.G. SHEESH....This is like Nightmare on OldStreet.....So now I'm awake and nose to nose with the Kracken. And I say GET OUT. I figure it's a dog outside - or a cat or TIMMY DOWN THE WELL.....GO OUT. And he won't go. But I don't know what it is - cold water, a biscuit? HONEST TO PETE BOY - So I hug him - and finally - he goes to the foot of the bed. And the next thing I know? BLEEEEEEp BLEEEEP BLEEEEP BLEEEEEp Bleeppp and there he is - pawing at the side of the bed and I have to go to school. It's 4am.....and I have gotten about 40 minutes of sleep and I feel like a turdkey.

So I leave DF a note - Something is horribly wrong - call the vet. And leave, kiss him on the head. DF takes him - calls me and says they want BIG bucks to do BIG things and what should he do? I mean MAN make a decision he's YOUR child too.

I come home and then get BLASTED that I can miss ONE day of school that the wheels on that truck won't fall off and that's the end of THAT conversation.....so I spend the rest of THAT night on the floor holding my baby while he shivers, and cringes and shakes and pants.......and i KNOW this is vacuum dog syndrome. I just can not figure out what he 'hooverd' out of the yard. I suspect his Christmas ball - but we find it later. They got about 10 ducks for Christmas too (kicking self in kiester) but didn't remember this eaten duck. Rush into the vets and get the "I have bad news - it's a mass - and that usually means cancer." and like I said - I couldn't hear, think, at one point I could have lost all function of my legs - I just dont' remember. For all I know I did pass out and no one told me. I just kept thinking about that X ray thinking HOW does a tumor get to be so perfectly round? I mean the next time you look at the bottom of a rubber duck? THAT is what this looked like. not round round - but rubber duck bottom round.

Anyway - there was the "We need to take Chest Xrays to make sure it hasn't metast.....and she stopped short as if I wouldn't know what metastisized (sp I'm sure) would mean - but said SPREAD. I just smiled and said okay - like I said I couldn't hear much it was all muffled. Later? I was just happy to find out it was a duck. Don't ask me HOW .......Or why - I mean HOW did he eat his collar and a milk jug handle the last time? No clue. I think in a former life perhaps he was a sword swallower for a circus - Circus performer or freak - that would fit in this family - nicely.

Anyway - he has spent the day laying and napping with his Mommy - and Mommy has been eternally grateful for each snore, rise and fall of his ribs - each pfffffflet...of his massive lips.....when he exhales and the soulful eyes that cried tears right along with me the night before his surgery when I sat there with my best friend and told only him - that I just wasn't ready to not have him in my life - and that he couldn't go - not yet - and when he did go? It wasn't supposed to be there - like that no....nope. It was supposed to be from old age, on his baby blanket or in my arms.....or after a wonderful day of playing and hugging. But not ,like .this. I know we don't get to pick and choose when we loose things, or people, or loved ones or even possessions - or time - and even less - we rarely understand why - but this one? This child? This love? I just wasn't ready to say goodbye to and when I looked down at the tears running down out of his eyes? And he told me he wasn't ready to leave me either? I just knew it wasn't time for us to leave each other.

But only MY DOG - could swallow a duck. lol.......He does quack me up Step....thanks for the chuckle.

And Janet? Before I run my semi into anything? I'd call you first - there is probably a clause on my insurance that you'll have to know about. lol.....ahem.

donna723

Oh Star, what an ordeal! Someone who is not a devoted animal lover might not understand, but I know just how you feel! Just the thought of something being seriously wrong with your baby and worrying that you might lose them is devastating! Mine are such chewers that I always worry about them swallowing things they shouldn't. Ragan once swallowed (then spit up) a chunk of foam rubber bigger than her head. Then she tried to swallow a long strip of rawhide and ended up with one end down in her stomach and the other end sticking out of her mouth ... she couldn't breath! Luckily I saw her in time and pulled it out! They've occasionally poop out colorful bits of rubber toys and if they ever chew up crayons, the after affects are downright festive.

It's such a worry though to have one like yours that just hoovers up everything they can get hold of and swallows it! The husky that my daughter had did that but usually she would just eat cat litter and irritate her whole digestive tract ... we practically had a standing appointment at the vets office! The worst she ever did was to eat half a carton of plumbers putty! I was afraid it would harden up in there but apparently it went right through her! And sometimes they can eat something weird and it will stay in their stomach for months before it starts to bother them! I know a lady whose small Boston somehow managed to swallow a 5" square of carpet and it stayed in her digestive track for five months before she started getting sick and vomiting!