Lord Mandy's Mother has ruined McKenzie!

SuZir

To be honest I don't believe it is possible to ruin the baby that easily. If situation is not seriously abusive or neglectful on basic needs babies tend to do just fine. After all human is one of the most adaptable species in this planet, right there with rats and cockroaches. Also our young ones tend to survive just nicely from many different kind of situations. Neurologically untypical kids are of course not that adaptable as neurotypical but even them don't usually suffer much on which parenting style parents choose, while they are babies or toddlers.

To my family the baby sling was heaven send. I live in the place there we have a luxury of long (and at least partly paid) parental leaves. And I had a luxury to be a stay at home mother few more years even after those years I was in parental leaves. But I was in the situation, where I had an hyperactive and challenging three year old and a baby. While there was also some jealousy issues the main problem was, that difficult child was very rowdy and impulsive child who could have easily hurt the baby in accident. I literally couldn't turn my eyes off from him, if easy child was on the floor. Without sling I couldn't have gotten anything done. With the sling easy child was safely and happily with me, while I had both hands free to use to do house work and look after difficult child.

easy child also hit all the normal milestones with his motoric development (well, he tended to hit them early) and also with independence skills. If anything, he did much better than most.

It also helped a lot with nursing. Both my sons nursed at least every three hours, mostly every two and worst times once an hour. With the difficult child I spent most of my time sitting and nursing, but easy child I could nurse while standing and doing something else at the same time. Thank God I was able to nurse them, having to handle it with formula and bottles would had been a nightmare. And no, they didn't eat that often because of nursing. In few short months it will be 18 years from difficult child and 14 years from easy child to switching solely to table foods and they are still hungry every three hours or more often. Luckily they at least don't wake up during night to eat that often any more.

Co-sleeping very seldom leads to accidents if parents are sober. And yes, you should never co-sleep if drunk or high or after taking psychoactive drugs. And there are more than enough accidents after baby climbs out of their crib and falls or even gets out of the front door without parents noticing (and yeah, also my difficult child did both, we did not co-sleep with him.) With easy child co-sleeping also helped immensely with nursing him at night. If I had needed to get up from bed that three to five times a night I would had been exhausted like I was with difficult child.

So my experience at the time was, that baby sling and co-sleeping really saved me with easy child. And at the time I also thought easy child being less fussy and easier baby than difficult child and his better development was due to those parenting choices. Now I do think those things were individual differences between my sons, not anything I did or didn't do. But baby sling and co-sleeping really made easy child's babyhood much easier and more enjoyable for me and gave me a lot of freedom compared to not doing those things with the difficult child.

svengandhi

I personally hated the baby sling and never wore any of my kids past the first month. I held them but not overly so because I returned to work at 6 weeks (1, 2 and 3) or 8 weeks (4 and 5, who were both section babies). My kids are normally attached, except for difficult child who is not very emotional - he is my child. I am not a touchy feely person.

I second the ear infection or a cold. difficult child had constant ear infections from 2 months on and he would scream when laid down. Try elevating the bed or crib on an angle as that changes the pressure. Also, maybe try her in a swing or rocker rather than the flat on the back toy.

DammitJanet

Well maybe I didnt point out that Amanda was the one who SAID that she has been carrying the child around constantly and not putting her down even for a nap.

She also thought I was 45 when I had my first child too so that shows you how well she can think.

If you could have seen Mickey's behavior you would know it was exactly from being carried constantly. She was perfectly happy as long as she was held. The minute she was put down she started screaming and the arms went up with those hands outstretched in the clawing motion of "get me, get me!" way. Even sitting her right in front of you she screamed at. She had to be held.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Amanda was the one who SAID that she has been carrying the child around constantly and not putting her down even for a nap. If you could have seen Mickey's behavior you would know it was exactly from being carried constantly. She was perfectly happy as long as she was held. The minute she was put down she started screaming and the arms went up with those hands outstretched in the clawing motion of "get me, get me!" way. Even sitting her right in front of you she screamed at. She had to be held.

Hmmm, yeah, that is a better description, Janet! Lol. Why does amanda have to be the one who watches the baby? Isn't there anyone else? Some consistency in her care would be good. If she's being cared for by Amanda, you and home and being treated three different ways with three different rules...she's too young for that, too young to be expected to adapt to her caregiver, Know what I mean?? If, on the other hand, she had one sitter/care provider and home, that would be easier for her to adapt to at such a young age. She can't be expected to adapt until she's a wee bit older. It's a shame Amanda is the only option right now. More than the inconvenience on you or others, I worry about the effect on Mickey.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You could have Mandy ask the welfare office if there is aide for childcare to low income families. I realize probably not every state has it, but if yours does then it would pay for Mickey's daycare and her care would be consistent and reliable. Not that you're not reliable, but I'm thinking health wise reliable. Then both you and Amanda could have visits with Mickey that for Amanda at least, wouldn't be long enough to start such a bad habit.

DammitJanet

Unless they have reopened the daycare applications in the last year or two, they had been closed since 3 years before I left there in 2001. Just no money. They stopped taking applications in 99. I wish I could do it but I just dont think I am physically up to it. Until Mandy went to work, she was only finding a sitter for two days a week and that was ping ponging the baby between her friends every week for school. They are trying to find decent care but this all just started a week and a half ago. They seriously couldnt afford to pay out of pocket for a private day care because that would cost just about what Mandy is making.

buddy

Here families get stipends for whatever day care they want to go to, I owned a family daycare for ten years. I had several families come through who got county funds. Some private daycares will accept the money and ask for the family to make up the difference. Do you think your county would have that?

DammitJanet

I have to go sometime this week to social services because they evidently dont know how to return a phone call. I will have to manage to walk the 8th of a mile into their damned building. They have irritated me because they sent me an appointment letter on the Friday before my appointment the following Monday. Absolutely no time to contact them at all. I had a previous doctors appointment at the exact same time so I called the worker and of course got voice mail but left a detailed message with phone number...no call back. Left another one on each of the next three days at various times during those days. Then I called her supervisor...got voice mail...left same message with the added info that I had called worker. No return call. I called above supervisor...still no return call. All Im asking is for them to send me the stupid packet so I can fill it out and return it and be done with it...we do it all the time. Idjits.

buddy

I never get a call back from Q's financial/MA worker so I got lucky.... if I ask his Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) waiver manager...the PHN, to email her she always gets a response right away.... It just stinks that we have to get so desperate.

DammitJanet

Well this has really irritated me because I have been calling since the 23rd of April and I need to get the paper work filled out or they will close my medicaid case and I cant have that. All she has to do is send me the packet. She has done that several other years for me because nothing changes in my case. I am a simple medicare/medicaid case. All I have to do is sign the forms and send in my bank statement. So because I havent heard from her, I guess I have to go in and see her in person. This is a pain. It takes forever and I really hate going in there because I see people I used to work with and that makes me embarrassed.