Lost Arts (old-fashioned crafty things)

AppleCori

And while were on the topic of, how about making homemade baby food and formula? Well, I did. My kids got good old table food when they were babies. Whether blended or mashed, good old honest-to-goodness food was served to them, and when it came to their bottles, nothing but homemade baby formula in our house. I made sure of that.

Lost art? I think this one more than applies.

I didn’t use “baby food” so to speak.

My pediatrician told me to nurse for six months exclusively, then the child can have table food. He said it would help guard against allergies and ear infections, and it worked, at least for me.

KTMom91

I am not "crafty." I can't knit, sew, make cute stuff, paint pictures, and I even struggle with hanging up other people's pictures. I admire those lost arts, but I would rather read.

My Nana's father used to move the cookstove out to the washroom every summer because it was too hot to cook in the house. They used to boil the laundry in a huge copper pot out back. The outhouse was out by the barn. The sisters all needlepointed, made lace, made their own clothing (of course), knitted and crochets, embroidered dish towels, made quilts, canned food, made jams and jellies...and had an entire set of that Franciscan Apple pattern for dishes/linens. Nana was the youngest of six sisters.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can knit. Old fashioned Baltic knitting. I taught myself Fair Isle, which uses similar techniques, but different patterns, and Aran knitting.

My grandmother taught me, but so young that I don't remember learning to knit.

Lil

This thread made me think of tie-dying (1970's).

I gave it a go as a teeny-bopper, anyone else give it a try?

I did, but in Girl Scouts. Never anything too ambitious. I've always wanted to try batik. But dying makes such a mess. I don't even color my hair!

AppleCori

I did, but in Girl Scouts. Never anything too ambitious. I've always wanted to try batik. But dying makes such a mess. I don't even color my hair!

I did the tie-dye in Girl Scouts, too!

I also ran a troop when my older girls were young, and we did it there, as well.

It is messy, though. That’s why I get my hair dyed at the salon.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I used to crotchet quite a bit but really don't have the time anymore. Perhaps when I retire.
I do know how to sew. Forever grateful for Home Economics in school and the example my mother set.
When it comes to cooking, I make things from scratch. My husband loves my cooking.
I also used to make quite a bit of macrame, wall hangings and plant hangers. I have seen that it's coming back.
I used to make latch hook rugs too.

Lil

I also used to make quite a bit of macrame, wall hangings and plant hangers. I have seen that it's coming back.
I used to make latch hook rugs too.

Oh I forgot those! I used to do those too. Liked macramé more than the rugs.

Lil

Remember when macrame art was popular?

Like those hanging baskets and wall decorations?

70’s maybe?

Yes, I know I was barely in high school when I was making them and I graduated in 81, so late 70's, early 80's. I was pretty darn good with plant hangers. I wish you could still find those big beads they sold for those...I've needed some for other projects over the years and never found any.

AppleCori

Yes, I know I was barely in high school when I was making them and I graduated in 81, so late 70's, early 80's. I was pretty darn good with plant hangers. I wish you could still find those big beads they sold for those...I've needed some for other projects over the years and never found any.

Have you tried Etsy?

AppleCori

I saw macrame plant hangers in World Market (I think) when I was there months or a year ago.

I wonder if they are coming back in style?

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I love the smell of burning leaves!

My grandmother caught her dress on fire when burning trash and died. I never met her. She died before I was born but I will never forget that story. I guess in those days the women wore long billowy dresses.

I work full time so don't do many projects. I have gone to Michael's and recreated a centerpiece they had their out of dried flowers that I still love. I would love to do wreaths and that type of thing. I love gardening but that's really not a craft I guess.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This thread made me think of tie-dying (1970's).

I gave it a go as a teeny-bopper, anyone else give it a try?
I am terrible at tie-dyeing. I either get the rubber bands too tight or not tight enough. And my colors fade so fast. That said, at Disney, Rose and I made her a shirt as one of the resort activities and it came out beautiful!

Remember when macrame art was popular?

Like those hanging baskets and wall decorations?

70’s maybe?
Go to any Hobby Lobby... It's currently in style again. GAH!