Lost Cat Update

susiestar

Roll With It
Captain Morgan is still not home. We are still getting calls and actively looking for him. It has been bitterly cold lately and we have been worried.

Yesterday we got a call with another sighting in an area where people had reported seeing him. Jess went and actually saw him but could not get close. She came back to get thank you and husband and they all went out (I was sick and the cold is far from my friend, so I stayed home). husband also saw Captain and he is very healthy looking. Capn is hanging out with another cat and clearly has a place to stay warm. With all the snow it was easy to find tracks to where he has been.

We will be spending time close to that area, putting food out daily and hopefully in a bit of time he will come to us. He must be scared, but he is at least okay looking and still alive.

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers. They are truly appreciated. I haven't been around much lately because we have been having internet issues and I have been sicker than usual. Please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers even if I am not posting daily. Please keep up the prayers for Captain.

For ANYONE with a lost cat, searching for them is far different than searching for a lost dog. Youtube has some videos with tips that are very helpful because walking around calling simply does not work to find a cat. We have had amazing results from flyers - far exceeding our expectations! I think it helps that he is easily recognizable due to his coloring and sheer size (he is WELL over 25 lbs and is taller than most cats). It also helps that we keep putting them out every week or 10 days.

Calamity Jane

It's good to hear that ;your husband saw him, and that he looks well. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient some pets are. I hope when the weather is more hospitable, you'll be able to bring him home for good. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather, too.

BusynMember

I'm surprised he hasn't come home, poor thing.

Lots of prayers and good vibes hoping that your family member will soon be in your warm arms.

TerryJ2

I wish I could go into his cat brain and tell him to go home, with the promise that he can visit his girlfriend and snack at the neighbors' as long as he tells you where he's going.
How frustrating!

lovemysons

Hi Sus,
I so hope you start feeling better and that you get Mr stinker-cat Captain home soon too!

More prayers,
LMS

Scent of Cedar *

Is he back, yet?

When our cat was lost, we had to walk past where she was before she either could or would come home. It wasn't that far from the house, but I think she must have been lost. When we walked past the area we had been walking in the day she disappeared (as she skulked through the woods behind us, as cats will do), she followed us home.

She was hungry, and so happy to see everyone and be back inside.

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Susie, at this point, your best bet may be to talk to your local Animal Control or Human Society and see if they will loan you a live trap.

Bait it with Captain's favorite food. You may catch a few other cats in the process, but I'll bet you can catch Captain this way.

My Jakey came to a live-trap after a week "on the run" even though he'd originally been live-trapped and taken to a shelter, an experience that initially must've been terrifying for him.

Best of luck to you. Another thing you can do when you bait the trap for him is to put in an item of clothing belonging to his favorite person in the household. The dirtier the better.

The scent may help lure him as well.

Best of luck. I hope you are able to return Captain Morgan to his rightful home and that he's soon home safe and sound.

susiestar

Roll With It
Around here it is $50 a day to rent a live trap. They used to loan them out until the a$$wipe frat boys use them to catch about 10 cats and tortured them and then tore up the traps. So now you have to pay a fortune to use them. Luckily the local shelter will scan him if they get him and he is chipped. We are using food and dirty shirts to keep him coming back to the spot where we have seen him and eventually we will bring him home. He is just being scared about being around people right now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Around here it is $50 a day to rent a live trap. They used to loan them out until the a$$wipe frat boys use them to catch about 10 cats and tortured them and then tore up the traps. So now you have to pay a fortune to use them. Luckily the local shelter will scan him if they get him and he is chipped. We are using food and dirty shirts to keep him coming back to the spot where we have seen him and eventually we will bring him home. He is just being scared about being around people right now.
That's awful, Susie. I had to put a fifty dollar deposit down on the trap when I got it, but I got the $$$ back when I returned it. I've live-trapped quite a few cats up here, and NEVER had to pay "rent" to use a trap, just the deposit.

Horrible about the frat boys as well. The traps are $$$ or I'd buy one of my own to have on hand, especially during "kitten season", when I try to round up as many mommas and babies as I can. (Our shelter is no-kill). The babies can be socialized into pets, and the mommas spayed and released.

There is a magnificent, fully feral tom up here that I've been trying to trap for about 3 years now. He'll never make a pet. He is a wild animal, but I'd like to get him cut as he is the sire of all the kittens in a rather larger territory.

My concern for Captain right now is that he'll run into a cat like the feral above, get chewed up, and contract FIV, which is spread through bite wounds. There is also a serious risk of exposure to FeLV.

Oh, how I hope you can bring him home soonest!