Love-hate relationship...

flutterby

Fly away!
...with steroids.

After 10 days on the taper starting at 60mg X 3 days, then 50mg X 3 days, etc, the pain and inflammation is *a lot* better. I was ready for someone to take me out back and shoot me.

But, now I think I have thrush.

Sigh.... And, ewwww.

Every time I take steroids, I end up with something else.

DammitJanet

Well thrush can be treated pretty easily.

My dad has contracted thrush from his radiation in the back of his throat going down his esophagus. Harder place to swish it around and hold for a few minutes...lol. Thankfully only one more week of radiation.

Mattsmom277

Its such a vicious cycle, I get thrush after steroids too, or certain antibiotics (well that was just once). The benefit of the improvement from steroids can be so dramatic. But dang that nasty mouth after affect!!! Last time it took me over a month to clear up my mouth. Yuckers!! Much sympathy here, hope it clears up soon> Glad the pain and inflammation is alot better though!!

DammitJanet

Did she call in the stuff to swish and swallow for your mouth? That works best for the mouth region in my experience. I cant drink buttermilk but I will use yogurt with it and take the acidophilus pills when I go on long term antibiotics.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I seem to recall Nystatin comes in lozenges as well. I know husband was given an antifungal lozenge when he got thrush which he got fairly frequently due to being so immunosuppressed.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There is actually a single dose antifungal tx for other "yeast" type infections, but I don't know if that includes thrush or not. Might be something to ask the doctor/pharmacist about.

Josie

There is a Nystatin pill but maybe the liquid works better for thrush.

I take probiotics and long term antibiotics without any yeast problems. You might try that the next time you have to take steroids to see if it helps.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I tend to get genital yeast infections when I have to take antibiotics. When I had a bad bladder infection recently, the doctor recommended I take probiotics and eat yogurt. Worked like a charm: I didn't get a yeast infection or the GI upset from the antibiotics (I have C. Difficile which flares up whenever my gut flora get out of balance)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather, I was given a prescription in pill form that helped when I got thrush. Don't remember the name right off hand but it worked quickly & well. Fingers crossed that this new medication helps.