Lovely weather we're having

SRL

Tell me about it. Last week my kids had off M for cold, early dismissal on Tues for snow, Friday off for teacher's workshops, yesterday for Lincoln's BD, today and tomorrow for snow will add up to a six day weekend.

Send help. Send chocolate. Send valentine's for my kids.

Lothlorien

We just have disgusting freezing rain, now. I was going to finally get out to scrapbook with some friends tonight, but I'm not going anywhere in this mess.

Nancy

I'm Cleveland Lisa, and they say that Dayton is bad, the snow is coming from the south instead of the lakefront effects we usually get.

It took husband 2 hours to get home from downtown, usually a 30 minute drive.

Nancy

slsh

member since 1999
Well, miracle of miracles, our SD actually called off for tomorrow (first time since 3/98). Weeburt is very excited about his first snow day. I couldn't tell you how much snow we've gotten because it's just blowing all over the place. Definitely more than 6 inches as of 2:00 when I dug out to go pick up the little ones - our area is supposed to get 12 by the time it's over. I'm always amazed at the disparity in snowfall in Chicago - if it snows in the northern part of the city, we get much less, and this time vice versa. Every once in a while we'll catch the tail end of lake effect, but not like Indiana.

My employer is in Indianapolis and I guess it was *really* bad down there with- the ice. There were a lot of bored transcriptionists across the country today, LOL, because pretty much every single account either was closed or had really tiny office schedules. on the other hand, we actually chatted with each other today - first time that's happened in the year and a half I've worked there.

I'm pretty much ready for winter to be done. It's just been bitterly cold here, I think the coldest since we've lived in IL. As I've reminded husband *several* times over the last 3-4 weeks, this is *exactly* why I moved to Hawaii. After his 2 hour crawl home tonight, I think he's ready to reevaluate our state of residence. :rofl:

jamrobmic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My employer is in Indianapolis and I guess it was *really* bad down there with- the ice.</div></div>

They closed all of the malls. You know it's bad when that happens :rofl:

SRL

My daughter was crying because school is cancelled tomorrow meaning Valentine's Day class parties are too. Poor little thing worked so hard on her valentines.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They closed all of the malls. You know it's bad when that happens</div></div>
:rofl: Isn't that the truth?
I didn't think of all the holiday parties being cancelled. Poor kids. It sounds like an awful storm.

Lothlorien

two hour delays everywhere around here. Still no accumulation, but snowing since yesterday morning. Lots of ice, though. It's freezing and really windy.

skeeter

I managed to chip my way into the car and got to work. Roads are snow covered or mushy.
Our biggest problem now is power lines coming down. Quite a few are without electricity. Luckily, we had it, but I passed a few dark areas on my way to work.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
They waited til the last possible second to close the college. They closed at 8 am and first classes start there at 8:20. I sure hope no one was foolish enough to try to get into town. Some of those people have a 1-2 hr drive to get here.

Our road is several inches of ice scrunched up from when the snow plows came thru yesterday trying to keep salt on the streets. It was icey last night when I went to bed, but you could still see the pavement. Currently husband is have a heck of a time getting thru the ice on his car just to get it started. N has picked today to tell me she's out of her medications. :rolleyes:

And not only is N out of medications, but I have a sick puppy dog, too. I'll have to try shortly to see if the vet made it to her office.

Nancy

The entire city is shut down here. No schools, no business open, no malls, no court, no airport, they are asking everyone to stay off the streets. It's been snowing nonstop for 24 hours.

Nancy

tiredmommy

Oh dear, Lisa! Be careful if you have to go out! Yikes!!! :smile:
We have 15 inches so far and counting. It took me 40 minutes to clear the bottom 25% of the drive. There is a drift of about 30 inches near the top of the drive. Lucky thing I took husband's spot, it's where I normally park. :rolleyes:
And that forces me to pose a question: Why does it only when husband is out of town? :hammer:

tiredmommy

Nancy, husband and some co-workers are working from a hotel room downtown. He was supposed to be changing hotels tonight to head out to your area, but he may staying put now.:whew:

Nancy

Hi TM,

Hopefully by tonight they will have the roads cleared and the airport back open. It's still snowing but they say the back edge of the snow will pass here by noon it's suppose to clear out. Of course it's moving east so it will take a few more hours to clear out that way and if I recall he usually stays east.

It's Cleveland though and we bounce back pretyy fast.

Nancy

mstang67chic

Going Green
We woke up this morning to beautiful blue skies..........and drifts the size of livestock in our driveway. husband sent difficult child out to shovel some of the driveway. (notice I said SOME......not all just some) He was out there for all of 5 minutes and decided that husband just couldn't go to work and that it was an impossible task. husband has a jeep. It's not like he needed the entire driveway cleared, just the worst of it. You would have though difficult child had to build an Egyptian pyramid all by himself or something. :rolleyes: Everything is pretty much closed here today but I'm sure things will start back up again by this afternoon and tomorrow at the latest. School I'm not so sure of even for tomorrow because the majority of the system is rural so we shall see.

F

flutterbee

TM - I used to live in upstate NY - in the Binghamton area. I remember when we used to get that much snow and 3 hours later everyone was out and about.

We've had at least a foot of snow and an inch of ice and the snow is still falling, though much lighter now. I won't be going anywhere til they plow my street and easy child shovels. We have some nice drifts in the driveway. He's going to be so thrilled! :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband is going to attempt to go out. N needs her medications refilled. I'm keeping fingers crossed.

I don't know how our main streets are. Our street, alley, drive are ice, but now we're getting snow again. I think husband is hoping it will give him enough traction to be able to get out. If anyone can drive on it, he can.