Low cal Food/recipies/ideas

Lil

Well...maybe we could cut back. I think cutting it out entirely is just asking for trouble. Workplace violence might result.
:furious:

Nomad

Staff member
I do like one of the half and half coffees...I think it is Folgers. Folgers half caff? It is better than some of the others I have tried...flavor is good.

Jabberwockey

We've had the Folgers as well as Kroger's (grocery store chain for those not familiar) versions of half caff. Both are decent. Drinking decaff seems so pointless but damnit, I'm tired of pushing 300! No way in hell am I ever going to get down to my "Doctor recommended" weight of under 179. For that matter, I don't want to be that small. Getting to and maintaining 200 will tickle me to no end. Just so tired of nothing fitting right and not wanting to buy new cloths because I will either lose or gain weight and they wont fit anymore.

Lil

Well...dinner tonight is salmon, a pasta side dish, and broccoli. Last time we ate this sort of thing for dinner I was hungry afterwards. We'll have to figure something out to keep that from happening. We need something dessert-like. Jabber and I are big on the sweets...that's been a trial.

Nomad

Staff member
I have so many health problems that I am highly motivated. Keeping my weight good, keeps my blood pressure good and keeps my migraines better. It's too bad you don't like the Folgers Half Caf all that much, JW. I've tried others and so far, it's the only one I find tasty. The others I have tried I didn't really like at all.

Jabberwockey

Nomad, we have the health issues as well. Just not bad enough yet to truly motivate which is al the more reason to get motivated now! We like Folgers Half Caff well enough, we just like Folgers Black Silk SOOOOOOOO much better!!! LOL!

Nomad

Staff member
Years ago, I went to a Dietician. She cracked me up and she said when it comes to dieting, unfortunately, usually you can't worry too much about money. At first I didn't like this comment. But over the years, I've come to understand what she meant. For example, I absolutely can not buy something I like in bulk. LOL! I will eat the entire thing. Might save money, but I will kick myself later and in the end it's not worth it. Sometimes it works out...apples on sale, coffee on sale, etc...I check out sales...but sometime it just doesn't work out when you are trying hard to get an edge on weight loss...which can be very tough.
But, I have decided I'm tougher.

Lil

For example, I absolutely can not buy something I like in bulk. LOL! I will eat the entire thing.

This reminds me of fast food. Remember super-size? I can't count the number of times I've ordered a "regular" fries and had them tell me that larger is only a few cents more. But if I order more, I'll eat more! There's a reason for ordering smaller sizes!

That and healthier foods tend to be more expensive. Buying fresh fruits and vegetable for example.

Well...I don't know it's that much more expensive, especially in season. But, it lasts a much shorter time and you have to shop more often.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Keep seeing these things about mashing up bananas and baking them like cookies. Will have to find something like that.

Seriously go to the Emilybites.com site. She has lots of great recipes with WW points. I just printed out Lemon Lime Cupcakes that are 3 points each. There are tons of recipes for cakes etc. etc.

Nomad

Staff member
I never thought to check out the website for desserts...I will be there shortly!

I did something just now we had discussed at a WW meeting years ago. Girl Scouts were selling their cookies in front of the food store. I asked "Do you accept donations instead?" Right away she said "yes!" I figure she is sick and tired of hearing about diets...blah blah blah. So, I whipped out a few dollars and handed to her and went on my way. Sure, there is a small chance it wont go to the GS...she might forget or something. BUT, I think it will be fine and makes it way to the scouts. Actually, I suspect more and more people are doing this. I tell ya...it felt good!

Copabanana

RE: Dessert

Jabber (and Lil) I make impossible pies where the crust forms itself from 1/2 c. of flour, a dab of baking powder, and 2 T melted butter. I make often impossible custard pie, and coconut custard where I just sprinkle coconut on top. I make this in the blender in 3 minutes: First I whip 4 or 5 eggs, then add 2 cups of low fat milk and sugar (or Splenda) to taste (I use not much more than one half cup of sugar for 1 10 inch pie), with 2 teaspoons of vanilla, the flour, baking powder and the butter.. And blend well. Just pour into a glass dish which is sprayed, and bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 45 minute or until you can smell it, and the custard is more or less firm.

I also make impossible French Apple Pie, the same deal. These recipes are on allrecipes.com. Just be sure not to use all the butter they recommend as the pie becomes greasy.

For a sweet what about working through the big bag of mixed berries that Costco sells, over small piece of sponge cake and maybe a little bit of low fat sour cream thinned with a little bit of milk, with a tiny bit of vanilla, and a little sugar? Or with vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt?

Personally, when I bake I cannot lose any weight at all. I have a tremendous sweet tooth and cannot stop until I devour it all. I can eat a half of the above-referenced pie.

Nomad

Staff member
I too have issues with baked goods. Control issues and probably some issues with carbs.
I don't tend to lose nearly as much weight when I consume flour....so I tend to limit flour.
AND there is all sorts of discussion about how flour might be bad for folks with autoimmune issues....so I've reduced the flour a lot.
If I'm badly craving sugar, esp. chocolate, I'll have a sugar free chocolate pudding. They are fairly good, but aren't soooo delicious that I'll over eat them.

Copabanana

It's time for me to get some different breakfast items.

tonight is salmon, a pasta side dish, and broccoli.
I am not letting myself eat after 5 pm. And I am not eating much at all before 5 pm either. So, I am hungry.

What I am doing is filling up on decaf tea, with a little bit of milk. As much as I want. There are two Irish brands of decaf that are excellent: Bewley's and Barry's. You can buy them at either Amazon, Walmart or Ebay.

Just cup after cup. And that is how I deal with the hunger. Herbal tea, or green tea would probably be better but they would not fill the bill as do the alternatives I prefer.

Copabanana

Hi Nomad!
Control issues and probably some issues with carbs.
Me too. And I have way more control if I eat low carb. I was going to a nutritionist who got very impatient with M who does not for the life of him understand my lack of control with sweets, (and breads with white flour).

My G-d, she remarked. Does he not understand that this is out of your control? That this food triggers you metabolically? And until she said this, I did not understand and accept this is true.
If I'm badly craving sugar, esp. chocolate, I'll have a sugar free chocolate pudding.
This sounds good. Also Fudgesickles do not have even 100 calories. But again, I will eat the whole box.

What seems to work for me is Hot Mexican Chocolate. Like Abuelita. It comes in round circles that you cut in segments. I put milk in a very large bowl in the microwave, with a couple of segments of chocolate per cup of low fat milk, and heat to almost boiling. Dump what fits into the blender to foam it and to dissolve the chocolate. For some reason I am satiated after a cup, and I am able to stop at just one.

Jabberwockey

I have a tremendous sweet tooth and cannot stop until I devour it all. I can eat a half of the above-referenced pie.

Only half??? Lightweight! LOL! Sweets and carbs are a huge issue for us, sweets more so for me. When I was still living at home, for my birthday my mom would make me a chocolate pudding pie just for me and I'd eat the whole thing pretty much in a day.

Much to Lil's chagrin, I ordered six boxes of thin mints from my niece. They will last for a year, with Lil and I splitting a sleeve every now and then. Hopefully, with all the work we're doing, we will even be able to make a sleeve last for a couple of days but we shall see.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find that item that I can eat that will kill my sugar craving without gorging myself on it. Its such a vicious circle. When I buy stuff for sweet cravings I eat too much of it. When I don't have anything like that in the house, the craving will build up until I do something truly stupid like go buy a pack of Oreo's and eat half of them that night.

Copa, I don't even get home from work till 4:30 and Lil doesn't get home till at least 5:30. There is no way we could do this. Besides, in spite of what the experts say, the more I drink on an empty stomach the hungrier I get. For us, exercise more, eat a bit less, and reduce carbs and sweets work. I have the same problem with food as I do cigarettes. I don't really want to cut back or eliminate certain things, I enjoy it too much.

But I have to or I will become that guy riding around town looking like Jabba the Hutt on a scooter. Yes, we do have a person in town like that and no, I'm not picking on him. I have NO idea what his situation is and like I said, see myself easily becoming him if I'm not careful.

One of my co-workers was complaining the other day that there was NO way he could lose the 29 pounds he needed to in order to not have to have the BMI check for the National Guard. He is trying to go back in for officer training. I flipped him off and said "Right here buddy!" but to keep it in context he was talking about doing it by April so I was mostly teasing him. He is at a weight that I'd LOVE to be at. He hovers around the 210 mark and by todays standards is considered obese.