Low ferritin levels in post-menopausal women??? Anyone?

BusynMember

My ferritin (probably spelled wrong) levels are low, which is rare in women who no longer have their periods. I had a colonoscopy which was normal (no colon cancer, which is the #1 reason for this). Anyone else have this--and no longer have their periods? This means low iron stores--NOT low iron--low iron stores.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I don't know about you - but when I don't feel well - I'm not in the mood to go scrounging for things or ferretin them out.

Could just be built-in safety hormone to keep us from hunting down bargains when we're depressed. :tongue:

eekysign

Hmm.....I'm not post-menopausal, but I'm currently taking iron pills because of low ferritin. None of my docs seemed particularly caring why that might be. Have you been evaluated for hypothyroid? Those two go hand in hand, sometimes, according to my docs.

I like that. They're making me take supplements 'cause they think the low ferritin is what's causing my sleep problems, but do they care why it's low? Naw. Sigh.

BusynMember

Many non-menopause women have low iron stores because of periods. But it's not common in those who no longer get it.
Yeah, thyroid is fine. Rest of blood work is also fine. I was just wondering if anyone else had this.

BusynMember

I do eat a lot of stuff with iron in it. I can't TAKE iron. I had a terrible reaction to it. Who knew one could have a reaction to Iron?:D