M got the job!

witzend

In spite of L's drama and, well, just plain spite, M got the job working as a receptionist in her dad's office for the management company that handles the main reception area. He is very excited and starts on Monday 30 hours a week. He will be answering phones, photocopying, filing, a little scheduling, all the general junk that you start with as a receptionist in an office.

He was interviewed by the woman that L told him was a B. He said she was a little uptight but he liked her, and "she'll be my boss and she hired me so that's ok with me." She told M that she had spoken to L's dad, and he told her that it was up to her whether she hired M, that he was worth a shot, and that if she had to let him go for any reason that he wouldn't be involved or upset in any way, it was their business.

I'm not sure how L came up in the interview, but somehow the lady told M that L had been a problem when she had done some work there as L kept talking to and keeping the lady's immediate subordinate from getting work done, and wouldn't stop when the lady talked to her several times and had asked her to stop. Whatever the extent of that story is, M understands that he needs to deal with it as he is M, not L's brother, and he needs to keep all the rest of it private and not let L influence him or them about his work.

I am still so ticked off at L I can't even begin to tell you. I just can't and won't take her negativity anymore. We will buy M some nice clothing for his birthday and feed him a good dinner, and L won't be invited. She is just not on my good list right now, and it's going to take a heck of a lot more than her behaving herself at a family dinner for me to feel comfortable with her for now.

susiestar

Roll With It
Congratulations to M!!! I hope he enjoys the job and learns a lot. In many ways the receptionist is the gatekeeper to everyone in the company.

I hope M can keep L OUT of his business and AWAY from his job.

I think not inviting L to M's birthday is very appropriate with the way she tried to undermine him.

Hugs to you!

everywoman

Well, it sounds like M might finally be growing up some. I'm glad that you are now communicating. I know how hard it was on you for so many years. Hopefully, L will take her brother's lead and quit behaving like a spoiled brat. Enjoy dinner and M's birthday.

B

bran155

Fantastic news!!! Congrats to M. Let us know when he gets his first promotion. :)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Super news about M getting hired. I hope this works out well - good for him!

Suz

witzend

I bought him some slacks and shirts to wear on the job for his birthday, which is Tuesday. Now I just have to get my head out of my hoo-haw long enough - or is it get L out of my head long enough? - to make him a birthday dinner and not give away how ticked I am at her for her snotty snobby remarks. We haven't done anything for his birthday or Christmas or anything for about 4 years, as he didn't deserve it. But that's a long story and we're moving on now. I hope.

witzend

Definitely good news :) Maybe doing those things for M will help keep the focus off L... hang in there.

Yeah, it felt good to get out of the house and get started on something other than anger and self-pity. I'll see if I can get a dinner together this week. I don't want to overwhelm him his first week on the job, but I don't want him to think we don't remember it's his birthday, either. After all, we all know how much that hoovers... ;)

meowbunny

So glad he got the job on his own merits. That has to make him feel really good about himself.

Personally, I would leave it up to M whether he wants L at his b'day dinner. If they're working in the same office, he's going to have to see her and nothing like family feuds to make things even more difficult. No matter what, I hope his dinner is super and lives up to all hopes and dreams I'm sure both you and he have.

witzend

I get where you're coming from, MB. Maybe I could get L to come a little early "to help" and rattle her teeth a little bit? If I invite her, I have to be the better person by being "nice". Honestly I'm not much of the better person in these things. I find it difficult to put on a smile in any case, a forced one comes across as just that, and I don't want M to think it's about him, because I am proud of him. If I don't invite her, then I come across as feuding.

Being the grown up STINKS! (Why is that such an awful word on this board? Can't the moderators set it up to be allowed? I mean, I've never known us to use it any way other than "hoovering".)

Last edited by a moderator:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Witz,
I don't make the rules but I support them and I HATEHATEHATE the word in today's vernacular. I think it's a disgusting usage of a perfectly good word.

So we will have to agree to disagree and if you try to beat the censor it's my job to edit.

:flower:

Oh, and I agree. It really does stink to be the adult some times.

Suz

trinityroyal

Congratulations M.
I'm so glad to hear that L's undermining didn't work.

It's hard having to be the one to take the high road. Hope it works as planned, and that M has a good birthday dinner.

witzend

When I was about 7 years old, I went to the dentist and had a flouride treatment for the first time. He had talked it up as something wonderful tasting. YUCK! He asked how I liked it. (What an idiot to ask!) I said "It tastes crummy." He said "Don't use that word!" I had no idea of which word he was talking about. My mom told me that he meant "crummy". I asked why. She said it wasn't a nice word. Now, I had heard my mother use that word regularly and my mother did not swear, so I was pretty confused. In the car, she told me that some people had different meanings for different words. If anyone can explain to me the "naughty" meaning for "crummy", would you PM me? Because I still can't figure it out.

Suz, I get your drift, but if we are using the word by saying "inhaled deeply" or "hoovered", isn't censoring the word we all want to use kind of - I don't know what the right word is, here. We all know what we mean... Just my .02. I'm not in charge. And hats off to all of you who are, because I wouldn't have the patience to deal with the minutiae day in and out. You know that's true!

:bravo: