Made a neurology appointment for difficult child

Andy

difficult child is seeing spots again. That is what led us to the 48 hr EEG that was cancelled a year ago when his symptoms disappeared. They are now back again.

I have been given the date of October 12th for another one!

He is suppose to go in to see his neurologist the end of Summer/beginning of Fall. I just called on my way home from work and stated I wanted him to be seen sooner and to discuss bringing the 48 hr EEG up sooner.

The person he usually sees is out and is having her appts cancelled and rescheduled. Not sure when we can see her again. So, the appointment desk is putting us in with another neurologist. I believe this person has a higher degree meaning more experience with a variety of things?

We go on July 2nd. I really want that 48 hr done before the middle of August. difficult child states he will be more comfortable on his New York trip with his aunt and uncle if he knows what is causing him to see spots. Usually always in the morning a few minutes after standing up (not while standing up).

smallworld

Andy, have you had his blood pressure and pulse checked recently? Low blood pressure/pulse could cause such symptoms. Checking them would be an easy rule in/rule out.

Andy

Small World, Thank you! I am taking him into the Children's walk-in clinic to check out a rash that he has had on his chest for about one week. It does not itch or burn or bother him but has been there long enough for me to check it out. I am sure they will do a blood pressure check on him then.

Wipe Out - Thank you!

I am also wondering if for him this happens when he starts dehydrating? I don't think he has had as much liquids this summer as he does in school

tiredmommy

I was thinking along the same lines as SW. Could it be vascular and related to his migraines? Also, has he ever had a concussion?

Andy

Good points. They possibly could be vascular and related to the migraines. When we first scheduled the 48 hr EEG, we were viewing his spots as auroras. The length of the spots fit more into a seizure aurora than a migrane so we need to keep the seizures as a possibility.

They do not happen as he stands up but a few seconds later (about the time it takes to walk from one room down a hall and into another room).

When he was a baby, he did fall over backwards in a chair and hit his head on the vinyl floor. He did not black out and I did not take him in - probably should have? Anyway, I kept a close eye on him and he seemed to recover well. I do think about that often and have told it to every doctor who have said since he did not loose conciousness then he is fine. Maybe if I tell enough someone will really listen and check it out?

susiestar

Roll With It
Be sure to have them check his blood pressure sitting, standing, and after he has been standing a few seconds. It may be helpful to take it lying down and then after suddenly standing or sitting up.

Whatever is going on I hope it is found and can be fixed or ignored easily.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Keeping fingers crossed the the doctors can get to the bottom of this. With difficult children anxieties he needs to be reassured.

DDD

I don't know if it ever happens with children but "floaters" and "flashing spots" are not uncommon in mature adults and are attributed to potential detached retina problems. Has he been seen by an Opthamologist? DDD