Magic the Gathering Card game

Andy

I am learning how to play! Very detailed - somewhat complicated but I think I am figuring it out.

difficult child says that I would be perfect at it if I didn't ask so many questions! He says once I fully understand the "tapping" in all its forms (when, how long, ect) and don't ask a single question during a game, than I will graduate. He is always amused when I ask "Would it be adventagous for me to play this card?" When I graduate than he wants me to play a game with his friends because they are not sure they believe him when he tells them that I am pretty good at the game already! :) :)

I have won a few games and when he starts to get discouraged I just tell him that it is o.k. that he can think about how proud he is of his mom for playing it so well. He likes to try to psychiatric me away from a good play by saying, "Are you SURE you want to do that." and when I hold my stand and say, "yes" (secretly hoping I am doing the right thing), then it is "Dang, Good move!".

It will be nice to graduate but I am not sure I could handle a game of more than one to one playing AND I am sure his friends do not want his mom at the table either. (Who would make supper?)

Blissful_Betty

Good for you... any activity like this (even if it's not our favorite) is good time spent. I had to FORCE and I mean FORCE myself to try to learn Pokeman... man I am not one for those games. But it was sometimes the only way I got good time with DS. He has since graduated to building his own games- Car racing, Hunting, Fishing, Resort or Restaurant... all a variation of sorts of the Oregon Trail - here's your inventory list, lets see what it does for you - mentality. I push my way through it, as he is not up for anything that I may offer-thank you ODD/Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)!... We do what we can and sometimes what we have to, just for those glorious few minutes!
Great Job!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I used to play MTG... Back when it was brand new... I sold all my cards on eBay about 5 years ago. Too bad, or I could've sent them to you, and you could have WOWed all his friends!!!

But see... Jett gave up on trying to teach me Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh... I guess cause I made too many mistakes. LOL!

susiestar

Roll With It
You are an awesome mom!!! Wiz loved MTG and still has an enormous amount of stuff associated with it. Just like he did with pokemon. I used to joke that I wanted to play a real life game of "poke-mom" where the kids go and work toward a goal in a healthy and relatively safe way while the moms got to spend time in a nice, peaceful, quiet round room with comfy furniture and stuff we enjoyed and good food - OUR "poke-ball"!!

Used to make the kids all giggle.

I was never asked to play a second time. Not magic, not pokemon, not even D&D with husband and his friends. I asked too many questions that flustered them. So often the way a character reacted in a situation didn't make sense to me and my questions often confused Wiz and husband. SO I watched and enjoyed that, lol!

Cherish the time. It is a great way to spend time with difficult child - time when he leads, doesn't get criticized, and can learn the social skills assoc with games. Have fun!!

(by the way - doing something like this is one of the things that the two best tdocs we ever knew both stressed as very important to help your child and preserve/strengthen your relationship with him.)

H

HaoZi

Oh susie.... it's SO hard to find a great DM for D&D. I was always a wildcard in that, too, but luckily I had some really great DMs (and some really really really great rolls!).

svengandhi

PC14 loves the game Magic. I actually got him to agree to math tutoring because I hired my best friend's son, a recent college grad known in our town for his creative Magic decks. He was actually bragging that this young man was his math tutor!

difficult child on the other hand is a chess player, Magic is too cluttered for him. He plays and plays well apparently because he has that kind of a mind but he only does it to accommodate his friends. He has convinced a couple to join the chess club in order for him to keep playing Magic with them.

As a funny, I sent difficult child up to visit daughter at college a couple of weeks ago. She called, all excited, to tell him that she had found people to play Magic with him. Poor daughter - difficult child said "do they also play chess, because that's what I want to play?" She was upset because she got her brothers confused.

All in all, I admre you for trying to play Magic. I have no head for those kinds of games.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I did pokemon. I can't say I liked it, but I did it. lol

Good for you Mom!

I think it's important for us to have some understanding of what are kids are in to, helps us understand them better as people, instead of just as our kids. Not to mention.......you're showing him that you care about him as a person, and not just because he's your kid. lol

H

HaoZi

I feel lucky that kiddo and I already share some common interests and therefore can watch some documentaries together and find it equally fascinating. She has dragged me into starting accounts on websites she enjoys, and that does allow me to have a glimpse into her other interests.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I miss having a good D&D DM. I actually was one for a while - found my dice a couple weeks ago after not seeing them for years.

As long as it's all taken as a game, it's fun. Even MTG was fun... I especially liked sorting out my cards, listing them, that sort of thing (hmm. Sounds familiar...).

Susie - ROFL!!! I'd like to play Poke-MOM too - as in - no one pokes MOM's nerves!!!