Magice eraser question

klmno

I did a dumb thing and lit a fire in the fireplace the other night without opening the damper. I know...DUH! Anyway, soot got everywhere in this house- on the walls, etc. I bought some "extra power" Mr Clean Magic Erasers then when I was getting ready to use them, read the back and it sounds like they might be too strong for a typical painted wall- has anyone ever tried them on a house wall? It's not all over the wall- actually it got on other things thenm rubbed off on the walls in some areas.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Yes I have...I have used on semi gloss and flat. I don't recommend on flat paint. It takes it right off and will then take off sheet rock top layer. On semi gloss it does great so long as you don't scrub too hard, though you shouldn't have to I would think. You can use them on lots of surfaces otherwise to and we have.

StressedM0mma

I have only used the regular magic eraser on walls, and it did fine. left a little bit of a dull spot on the eggshell paint, but did not remove the paint or top layer of sheet rock.

S

Signorina

Try Mr.Clean or similar diluted with water on the walls. Or - even better - a Gonzo Wonder Sponge. They are awesome if you can find one or order one. I've owned mine for 15 years and used it to take heel marks off of delicate paper (not vinyl and not scrubbable!) wallpaper and smoke stains off of lampshades.

H

HaoZi

I've never had a problem using it on painted surfaces, but I don't scrub very hard.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mix a couple drops of dishwashing liquid with a couple cups of lukewarm water and use a regular sponge, squeezed out really well, to gently wipe. We have actual sheetrock in places and drywall in others, works well on eggshell and semigloss paint...

witzend

I use mine on the walls all the time. So long as you don't have a "flat" or primer type paint, you should be fine.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Why not try a solution of white vinegar and water with a few drops of dish soap. Spritz it on and use a microfiber cloth to gently clean off the soot. If your place is rented it's very likely the landlord used a cheap flat paint to do the walls and a magic eraser may leave a 'bald' spot.

klmno

I got tired of looking at it and had too many other issues to deal with this weekend so I used damp paper towels which got most of it off. At least it's barely noticeable now. I'll get the "regular" magic wipes or something this week and try that- I don't think I'm brave enough to try these extra power ones.