Mailing personal stuff

klmno

I'm trying to get this package of papers ready to mail out tomorrow and would like for it to arrive in HI (from the east coast) Thurs. at the latest. It contains very personal identifying info so I am not comfortable sending it by regular mail, however I don't need a signed confirmation of delivery because I trust the receiving party to email and tell the truth about him getting it.

What's the best and least expensive way to mail it? Is that registered or certified? Does that get it there quicker without having to pay enormous overnight fees? It will be a large envelope of papers, if that makes any difference.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Personally, if it is that sensitive, I'd buy a $10 flash drive and save it all on there. Don't know if you have these documents saved on your computer. You still have your own copy, but a duplicate to go out. Cheap to send...validate/priority mail whatever. Overnight - expensive.

Abbey

lmf64

I'd buy a milar mailer from the post office. They are 2nd day delivery and you know that there's no way the paper envelope could accidently get ripped and have all that floating around. It will probably cost you about $8 to send it.

klmno

Ok, thanks! That sounds like a good idea- I don't want to risk it getting wet in a thunderstorm or something either. LOL!

susiestar

Roll With It
Look into priority mailing. There are flat rate envelopes and boxes. The postal service supplies the envelope or box at NO cost to you. There are also variable rate boxes, but the flat rate is usually a better bet.

IF they are shipped from a post office they can be tracked. If you schedule a pickup you have no tracking unless the mailperson does extra steps. From experience, that means the item gets there before tracking info is available.

The envelopes and boxes from the post office hold up very very well in rain and other wet conditions. Not perfect, but very well. I have yet to ahve the contents damaged in any way, even after I dropped a package into a huge puddle.

I hope you can get them sent easily. This is an exciting time, but it is nerve wracking to wait for the details to work themselves out.

Here is a link to info about Priority Mail : http://www.usps.com/shipping/prioritymail.htm

This link shows flat rate and zone rate pricing for Priority Mail: http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

klmno

Thanks, Susie! I was thinking that was what the previous poster was recommending, too. But I had forgotten about the flat rate option- we used to use that at work a lot b./c it worked perfectly for a handful of important documents.

Exciting, nerve-racking, happy, sad, yep- all of those. LOL! Again, I would much prefer to have a move to some place closer so it dsoesn't wipe me completely out financially, but then this might be in difficult child's best interest and what is the saying...something like "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"??? That's how I feel about a job right now.

witzend

Do you have a kitchen scale or a mail scale? I can let you know the safest and cheapest way to mail it if you let me know.

klmno

The only scale I have in the house is an electronic bathroom scale- and I don't trust it too much.

There will be about 34 sheets of paper- I'm counting the fingerprint card as a regular 8 1/2 x 11 even though it's a little bit smaller; it is thicker paper but not quite as thick as card stock.

I really like you avatar, by the way, Witz.