TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
And I'll bet there are other kids in the school who would benefit from such a program. It's good for the older kid, it's good for the one who struggles. When my difficult child 2 was in 6th grade, they had him mentor a younger non-difficult child and it still benefited both kids. :)

Thanks - I think it is a great idea, and I will bring it up again. It used to be my difficult child got along better with older kids or younger kids than he does with same age peers.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 2 also gets along better with older or younger kids, and even adults, than his peers. He once told me that the reason he likes little kids so much is that they don't expect anything from him and he can just be himself.

tictoc

Jules,
Could your sp ed teacher or an aide help structure your difficult child's recess time? For example, my difficult child's aide used to organize games for him at recess, e.g. four square, duck duck goose, and such. At the time, recess was a big problem for him. The aide's games were fun (as was she) and a lot of kids would join in, so difficult child didn't feel singled out. It helped him learn to follow rules, in provided recess structure at a time he needed it, and it helped him make friends.

Good luck. You have a lot going on, but it sounds like you are handling it well.