MAJOR Wind Here

susiestar

Roll With It
I haven't heard anything on tv about the weather, and plan to go check online in a minute. We frequently have a LOT of wind here and gusts up to 50mph are not that unusual.

Right now it sounds like a train is passing, which is a MAJOR sign of bad things. The trees are being whipped around like they were skinny saplings - and they are far from it. We are out in the country with gentle rolling hills so there are no buildings to help cause that sounds.

husband is on tornado alert because that sound can indicate a tornado. So far so good. If things get bad I will check in afterward.

Are any of you getting similar wind or storms? If so be sure to take precautions!

Steely

I am in Dallas right now and we have had the worst wind storm here in a long time. Maybe it is headed your way. Did you make it thru all the tornadoes last night ok?

TerryJ2

Oh dear, that does sound ominous. We had out wind storm 2 wks ago. For whatever reason, we never lost power but the neighbors did.

But we're way too far away to have a connection to your state.

I think it's just that time of yr.

donna723

We had a lot of wind and rain today. I bought a whole bunch of rose bushes and bedding plants that are now lined up on my kitchen counters because I can't get out there to plant them, and they said it might hail and I didn't want them to get beaten to death! Just when it seemed to have stopped, it would start back up again! The last line of storms had so much rain that my whole front yard flooded in just a few minutes ... and the sun was shining the whole time! As bad as this was, it wasn't nearly as bad as the storms and wind we had a few weeks ago! That was the worst I've seen in a long time - really scary! I seriously thought my porch roof might blow off! Even the stop signs were whipping around and threatening to fly off! There were garbage cans rolling down the streets doing about 60 mph! I'm just a half block from the court house and the wind was strong enough to blow down a huge tree on the court house lawn!

H

HaoZi

We were under a wind advisory until 10pm tonight, especially for vehicles traveling on north/south roads.

T

TeDo

We have had very strong wind for 2 days now with rain storms sprinkled in. This evening the rain turned to snow and the wind just died down an hour ago. I hate this time of year.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We got some pouring rain, so far no wind, but a heck of a lot of rain...........again.

Hope you're ok out there Susie.

Hugs

muttmeister

We've had big winds here for two days too - sustained speeds between 40 and 60 mph. I think it is just spring on the great plains. Today there was 16" of snow in NW Nebraska. I got rain and melting snow but it has been really nasty. Last week one day it was 87; tonight it is to be 32 or less. What fun!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I live with 3 bulldogs, and a biker......WIND? You wanna talk about wind?

I got your wind. :windy:It's a regular brass section here some nights.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Seems I spoke too soon....................Now we have some pretty strong wind going on. Some rain, but mostly wind, to the point where the power can't decide if it's going to stay on or not. ugh

TerryJ2

Stay safe, everyone.
Our storms on the ECoast have passed. Tomorrow will be a more normal day.
Must be spring!

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I just started taking zyrtec for allergies because benadryl stopped working and none of the other allergy medications helps. The zyrtec knocks me out but the doctor says if I tough it out through that for a week or so it will stop.

The wind howled all night that night and off and on tonight. Not as bad tonight by a longshot. The weather people said that it wasn't gusting over 45mph (wild in other places, pretty normal blustery day here) but it had to be a lot faster than that. I went outside and had to really lean into the wind - it was kind of fun. Doesn't take much to amuse me, does it?? In all the time we have been here I have not heard the wind sound that loud even when we had tornados really close to our house. I am just thankful that husband no longer goes outside to look at tornados (tornadoes? mind is blanking on how to spell ).

There was a really huge, nasty awful bad tornado the first year I was away at college. Only time in my memory that a tornado actually caused damage/touched down in the city limits here. husband and I hadn't met yet and I was away at school in Austin. After we had been dating a while, husband and his roommate told me about the tornado. They had an apartment on the main road through town and worked at a copy place across the street. M, his roommate, was working all night on a big job - and the building had a huge window instead of a wall at the front of the building. husband heard the sirens and that a tornado was going through town so he went out and ran across the street to where M was at the store. Instead of going into the back room that was safe(safer) in a tornado, the idjit men went out front. They stayed behind the counter (normal shop counter, NOT any real protection!) and watched. They actually saw a twister go down the street for a block or so before it took off and went about 1/2 mile and touched down in a residential neighborhood, destroying about 5 blocks worth of houses.

I am SO GLAD I didn't know him then because that would have totally freaked me out. It took quite a few years but I finally have him trained so he does not go outside to "explore" when their is a storma nd he does NOT go storm chasing with the kids.

He and thank you did build an anamometer (think that is the right word) yesterday. husband asked for a straight pin because he couldn't find any. Ended up using a wire brad, popsicle sticks and dixie cups and who knows what all else. It spins and they count how many times it spins per however long to figure out how fast the wind is going. I think it is pretty cool.

Glad all of you are doing okay and didn't have storm problems!

M

Mamaof5

We've been having wind storms too (Northern Ontario). We've seen some wicked 80 km\h gusts at some points AND freaking SNOW...S N O W...like I'm talking stays a few weeks, 1 to 4 inches of freaking SNOW. I'm so sick of it...I hate snow right now... IT'S APRIL dangit...snow... in late April...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad you're ok Susie!

Mama, please don't send the snow down here.............. I hope it stops for you soon too. Stupid weird weather.