Maladaptive coping mechanisms can work wonders, you know

SuZir

If some one told me that they are emotionally in very bad place and have hard time coping, I would most likely not advise them to take a extra day off work, take excessive amount of hard liquor and go alone to drink to the cabin right next to open water. It just doesn't sound a winning plan or healthy and responsible way to deal. That of course doesn't mean, I would follow my own advice. So that was exactly what I did Saturday evening after using my day running from graduation party to another.

I had planed this over three months, but wasn't able to do it before now. Or more truthfully I was scared, that when I start crying over things I need to cry for, I will not be able to stop it. So after bottling up my feelings and concentrating on being strong, stable and supportive, I was finally able to let go for the moment with help of some vodka and gin. my eyes may still be little red and my voice is very hoarse from bawling, screaming and puking and last night, according husband, I stank rather remarkable way and even today I haven't felt like doing much anything. But I haven't felt this light in some time.

I know catharsis doesn't build a new and isn't much of the long term solution. But darn that it can be needed at times.

Dixies_fire

Whatever works right?

It isn't like you are an alcoholic or anything, this isn't a regular event.

If it keeps you from blowing your top at the wrong people, or maybe even the right people but in a unproductive way, them is it a bad thing?

No it's not advice I would give but sometimes you know what you need more then anyone else.

trinityroyal

Here's to maladaptive coping mechanisms. Sometimes an "oh my achin' head" blow-out can work wonders.
*Hope your achin' head is feeling much better now.

DDD

We do what we need to do. It doesn't matter much what others think of our choices. We live extraordinary lives in a very negative sense and "sometimes" the wrong choices are "right" for the circumstances. Hugs DDD

nerfherder

Oh yeah. 1000+ on this one.

Later today i'll edit this post and share the tale of my last huge pukefest, I've actually been considering sharing it on the Shame thread. It applies in both spaces, thanks to a nifty little quirk of psychiatric reality called Transgenerational PTSD.

SuZir

Yes, whatever works. And after the lifetime of practising of keeping everything together, letting go doesn't come easy to me. Even when it is desperately needed.

and no, I'm not alcoholic or even using much though regularly (both my parents have had some substance abuse issues at times, so I'm wary.) I do happen to be one of those who likes a taste of alcohol. Wine can certainly make a meal several grades better (but usually only at Sundays and Holidays and only one class), some food just beg good beer with them, so do sweaty summer days or Saturday sauna. And beautiful summer evenings are perfect for cider and cold winter evenings at times need something to warm you up. Luckily there is a good selection of okay alcohol free or very low alcohol content (the type you need to drink six pints to have one 'standard drink') beer and very good cider. With them I only have to worry about calories, not if I'm having too many drinks during the week. They have really made headway with alcohol free beers. when i was pregnant with my boys, the alcohol free tasted like over sweet p***. Absolutely horrible. Almost as bad as Budweiser ;) Took a lot to try again, when people began to talk that some new alcohol free beers were not so bad any more.